PDA

View Full Version : Friend's duaghter's B-day: I missed it?

tarynsmum
03-20-2006, 03:18 PM
WE're really close friends with this couple. I just realizd that their daughter turned 3 last week. I've been totally distracted with DD (especially with her getting her vacs, which completely destroyed her sleep/eat patterns). DH and I were talking and realized we hadn't heard from these friends in about 2 weeks. Now, they live 4 blocks away from us and DH has been friends with the husband since they were in middle school. We constantly keep tabs on each other, but with the baby it's kind of stretched out, so 2 weeks wasn't a HUGE deal.

Everyone in our neighborhood always gets together, and pretty frequently (see my post on Neighborhood Bedtimes). Anyway, it's really strange that no one said anything or seemingly did anything for her birthday. This couple is pretty much family, and my extended family and the wife's extended family have been close for generations. So it's not like they wanted a family-only party or sometihng like that.

I'm don't THINK we're on the outs (like we somehow made them mad). I'm also not sure if I should call and say something, especially since it's been a week since her birthday (I feel bad I didn't realize sooner).

Should I just wait until they call us? Or should I just call and check in; make sure everything's OK with them?

It's really odd thing to have happen.

kedss
03-20-2006, 03:22 PM
Maybe you could call and just check in. Let them know how sorry you were that you missed their daughter's birthday, and let them know the reason why if you want to.

kristenk
03-20-2006, 03:28 PM
I would call and say that I completely spaced on their daughter's birthday and ask if I could drop her birthday present by sometime. (I'm just guessing that you would have given her a present if you had remembered.) I'd also say what you did here - that you feel bad that you didn't realize sooner.

alexsmommy
03-20-2006, 08:26 PM
I'd call and check in - if something like that happened with one of my friends who had a two month old baby, I could totally see myself thinking "Oh, I remember how hard that time is and I don't want to make them feel bad for forgetting. I won't bother them, I'm sure they'll check in when they come up for air." I just call and say "sorry - now that we're sleeping a bit I'm checking in."
Alaina
Alex 2-4-03

barbarhow
03-20-2006, 09:40 PM
Call them-asap and fess up. She is probably wondering why she hasn't heard from you. I would definately not wait to hear from them. You goofed-although a forgiveable goof under the circumstances. Get her DD a gift and wish her a belated but joyful nonetheless birthday.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!