PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a Speech Therapist

mamaturk
03-21-2006, 12:32 PM
I finally called EI regarding the constant drooling from DD. When I met with the social worker this morning he gave me a list of about 40 different therapists in the area. This may seem like a silly question, but how exactly would you go about figuring which one to choose. I am not familiar with many families around here that have used EI so I can't really get any referals. He told us today that they were all good but that we had to choose one for whatever reason. Thank You for your help.

Mamma2004
03-21-2006, 12:53 PM
Kelley, I just wanted to say that I sincerely hope all of my rambling about DS and his overwhelming drooling didn't cause you undue panic regarding your DD. If I planted the seed of concern, I apologize!

Since two women from EI already knew DS, I trusted them to choose our SLP for us. We have only seen her once thus far, just for the initial evaluation two weeks ago. Although we have no frame of reference, she seemed both competent and likeable. I have no complaints!

I wish I had better advice for you. I wish you luck with whomever you choose!

Stephanie

brittone2
03-21-2006, 01:01 PM
If you can't get word of mouth from other parents, maybe try calling some local pediatricians (beyond your own) and see if they have any providers that parents have raved about.

If you end up unhappy w/ your choice after a number of visits (give them time though...) you can speak with a case coordinator/social worker and ask to switch many times.

mamaturk
03-21-2006, 04:58 PM
No worries... I have been thinking about calling for a long time now, you just gave me that little extra push to actually make the call. The social worker told me that just from meeting her today (in his opinion only) he doesn't think she will qualify for EI because her speech and other skills were good. Hopefully they will be able to show me some things I can do myself to stop the drooling. The social worker mentioned something about using straw sippy cups, have you heard that too? I actually had a brainstorm and remembered that a family friend is a social worker in the area, I put in a call to her for some advice on choosing a speech therapist. Good Luck to you too!!!