PDA

View Full Version : WWYD? B-day party conflict

jamsmu
03-22-2006, 02:37 PM
2 friends from playgroup are having a joint 2nd b-day party on a Saturday in a few weeks. Originally, I rsvp'd "yes" for all of us. But yesterday, I signed up Carson (my 2 year old, and the birthday boys' friend) for a soccer class that begins on the day of the party. (The party is from 10-11:45 and the soccer class is at 11--about 30 minutes away from the party).

Since DS can't be in 2 places at one timen and DH is so excited to take DS to soccer, plus we're paying a bundle per class, I'm leaning towards opting out of the party.

I have to figure out how to tell/what to tell the moms. What would you do?

firstbaby
03-22-2006, 02:41 PM
I would explain the situation and offer to supply cake or ice cream or some time of treat they are comfortable with at the next play date (or another day if not everyone from play group are invited to the party) to celebrate their birthdays.

daisyandacorn
03-22-2006, 06:38 PM
I'd go to the party...totally sucks to miss the first soccer class but I'd still go to the party(I'd feel bad skipping it if I said that we'd be there). Good luck!
Susan

kristine_elen
03-22-2006, 08:11 PM
I think I'd go to the bday party. You could leave a little early and be a little late to soccer. Unless ther are dozens of people in your playgroup, I think you'd be missed.

jamsmu
03-22-2006, 10:32 PM
Its a large enough party that I think its okay if we miss numbers-wise. The place has a minimum of something like 25 kids. The last party we went to there, same group, there were about 30 kids, plus the babies and parents.

I'm thinking I may go with my baby. That way, since I won't be watching Carson, I can offer to help.

The other part of this situation is that not only is it the first class, but they are opening a new class for Carson. I called yesterday and begged because I "promised" at least 4 other kids will join. So I kind of feel like we need to go.

JacksMommy
03-23-2006, 02:14 PM
You going with the baby sounds like a good compromise. If you think Carson can deal with the switch you could always bring Carson for the first 1/2 hour then go to soccer with DH. Sounds like missing soccer isn't really an option and with the numbers you're talking about, it's not as though the party people will be too devastated (esp if you bring gifts!)

Laurel
WOHM to Jack, 6/4/02
Baby Madeline 12/14/04