PDA

View Full Version : Question for contact lens wearers

JenfromWI
04-04-2006, 09:51 PM
Does anyone know what happened to AOSept's replacement "Clear Care"? I am getting so frustrated with this manufacturer. Are there any other great contact lens cleaning solutions out there? Thanks!

ellies mom
04-04-2006, 09:58 PM
I heard a rumour that they were going to start selling it again this month (April). I wish they'd hurry up because I can't use the "No Rub" stuff.

EllasMum
04-04-2006, 10:14 PM
I can answer this! My optometrist found out that CIBA Vision, the company that makes Clear Care (among others) had a major disaster at their sole North American production plant - some chemical was used to clean their factory that contaminated the entire plant. They had to start over with the products they make and could not sell any of the stuff that was produced after the disaster. Apparently none of the stuff made it to the market, so there was no danger of consumers being affected, but they had to start production again and then ship etc. I have recently started to see CIBA stuff back on the shelves up here (Canada) but then again the plant in question was here so maybe we would get the new product sooner (less distance to ship etc). So start watching the shelves and the products should be appearing again soon.

elephantmeg
04-05-2006, 02:56 AM
i hope so! My eyes are killing me! My opomitrist gave me 2 sample bottles right before munchkin was born but they're gone and I'm back to opti-free and remember why I stopped using it.

sigh

daniele_ut
04-05-2006, 12:01 PM
I actually saw AO Sept (not Clear Care, but AO Sept) on the shelf in Costco a few weeks ago. I'll check again next time I am there.

I finally just switched lenses last year to disposables that I can sleep in. I paid $200 for a years supply of Focus Night and Day, and got 3 samples of ReNu from my optometrist that will last me all year. I *love* them. I have a major astigmatism, but they can't correct it much more with torics than with my current lenses, so I just deal with it uncorrected. It seemed like I spent at least $100 a year on solution before, and now I spend $0 and can see when I wake in the middle of the night for DS!

JenfromWI
04-06-2006, 07:37 AM
Thanks for your responses! It's good to know what's going on. I'll look around (AGAIN) today because I used up the last of my solution last night! I am going to think about disposables the next time I have an eye exam.

table4three
04-06-2006, 11:28 AM
This probably won't be much help, but FWIW, I switched to daily disposables because I couldn't stand dealing with cleaning them and using solution. So, now I never have to clean contacts. Just wear a new pair every day.

Just another option, I guess.

http://lilypie.com/baby1/060325/3/15/5/-6/.png

emilyf
04-06-2006, 04:38 PM
Another vote for disposables if they work for you-my life is so much better since I switched!
Emily mom of Charlie born 11/02 and Zoe born 9/05

SpaceGal
04-07-2006, 11:13 PM
We were in the same dilemma here. We used to use Renu all the time but it would dry out our eyes...ClearCare is our fave here too.

When the shortage happened I started using the equate no rub solution and I like it soooo much better than Renu. But the good news is...I saw Walmart and Target carrying ClearCare again and stocked up. Hopefully stores near you have it too.