PDA

View Full Version : What Potty Training Book Do You Suggest?

saschalicks
04-06-2006, 04:23 PM
So, today Jonah told me he had to poo poo. I didn't think anything of it and then realized after the fact that he was in fact telling me before hand. Being he's my first and a boy I figured we'd start introducing the potty at around his 2nd birthday. His birthday is still 2.5 months away and I'm thinking I have NO IDEA how to train a kid. I mean I've conceptualized it, but I'm just a bit lost. I'm sure this has been covered before, but what book would help me with this?

I should add that I could ask my mother, but let's just say she's the "potty enforcer". She has been having a hard time understanding why we haven't even started to train. Umm can we say too young. I wanted Jonah to start in his own time.

OK enough rambling any advice is greatly appreciated.

JacksMommy
04-06-2006, 04:35 PM
There are a bunch of readiness signs - knowing he's going to poo is defintiely one them but there are others that are critical for starting to PT.

I liked the Brazelton approach and it seems to fit with your style, which is to wait until your child really wants to. He has a whole book on it, too, but I just read the brief piece he has in his Touchtones book - the whole thing is reproduced here: http://us.pampers.com/en_US/learning/page/tpc_potty_article_detail/topicId/201/type/111/contentId/13280.do

The pampers site has a ton of other resources, including a readiness list and other articles and book recommendations. You might want to start there and decide which approach is best for you. Here's another link to a site that talks about there being five major approaches to PT: http://www.pottytrainingconcepts.com/Potty-Training/How-to-Potty-Train-Potty-Training-Techniques.htm

I loved the Brazelton approach because it is very respectful of the child with no pressure - it didn't feel like work to either one of us! It was also a good one to use with both parents working because it doesn't require the same structure that some of the other ones do.

Laurel
WOHM to Jack, 6/4/02
Baby Madeline 12/14/04

Twin Mom
04-06-2006, 10:12 PM
This book is for your DS, not you. LOL. Once Upon a Potty by Alona Frankel. We have TONS of potty books and my twins who've been daytime potty trained for a while now still ask me to read this to them over and over.

Good luck with the potty training.