PDA

View Full Version : Anyone out there have a Mazda 5?

mamato1
04-07-2006, 10:35 AM
DH and I are thinking about trading in our Highlander for one. What do you think of it? Most importantly how is the fuel economy?

TIA

Chris

Mama to Brendan (aka Boomer) 01/04

http://lilypie.com/baby2/040116/0/1/3/-6/.png

jenjenfirenjen
04-07-2006, 08:29 PM
I'm picking mine up tomorrow! I'm so excited. I really would have preferred the Honda Odyssey but it just wasn't in the budget. And I do like that the M5 is smaller and less minivan-ish. I stopped someone on the street the other day who was just getting out of hers and asked how she liked it. She couldn't say enough good things and claimed to be getting 30 MPG though I highly doubt that. But still, the stated gas mileage is pretty good.

cleo27
04-08-2006, 02:15 PM
Ooh, this is going to be my next car!!! I can't wait to hear any reviews people have here.

DebbieJ
04-08-2006, 02:19 PM
I wonder about fitting rear-facing car seats.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

jenjenfirenjen
04-08-2006, 06:34 PM
I haven't put my infant seat in yet but the 2nd row seats do slide back quite a ways so I don't think it will be any problem at all and will still leave the driver and front seat passenger plenty of leg room. I'm going to install it soon though so I'll let you know.

mamato1
04-08-2006, 09:55 PM
I am not surprised that that woman told you 30 mpg. My DH is a total car freak and his research indicates that many people are getting around 31 mpg. If you don't mind posting again after you have had the car a little while, I would love to hear how you like it.

Edited for typos

Chris

http://lilypie.com/baby2/040116/0/1/3/-6/.png

jenjenfirenjen
04-12-2006, 03:18 PM
OK, I have only had the Mazda 5 for 5 days but I am LOVING it! Granted, I drove a '96 Honda Civic for the past 8 years and I've never had a new car so probably anything would excite me but I really think this is a great car for moms. I love the sliding doors and the seats are at a great height for putting DS into his car seat.

DS is FF on passenger side. I have his seat as far back as it will go and that leaves the passenger and DS a lot of leg room. I just installed my infant seat RF behind my seat. I am 5'8" and I can comfortably fit this seat RF behind my driver's seat (although I can't put the handle all the way down w/o bringing my seat forward but I just learned from these boards that I can leave the handle up on my Snugride.)

I will have to calculate gas mileage and check back in but it seems great so far. I drove from Philly to Manhattan and back and have been driving around town and I've only used half a tank.

Anyway, so far I highly recommend this car. For the money, it's a great car.

Lucia
05-07-2006, 10:40 PM
We are seriously considering a Mazda 5. Are you still happy with yours? Any other 5 owners out there with feedback? Is the mileage really that good? What about space with two carseats? Any feedback would be great! TIA!

essnce629
05-08-2006, 04:47 AM
I'm interested too! I just test drove a Honda Odessey last weekend and I loved it, but we only have one kid right now and I'm not even in the market for a new car! We probably won't even have another baby for 3 more years, but I can dream can't I! Our newest hobby is going to different dealers and checking out cars we like-- even though we have absoulutely NO plans of buying anything! Am I a nerd or what!

***Latia
Birth and Postpartum Doula
http://www.socaldoula.com

Conner 8/19/03 (homebirthed water baby)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aug2003angel
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif Self-weaned at 24 months!

essnce629
05-08-2006, 05:45 AM
Here's some reviews on it by a few parents:
http://car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=3512&highlight=Mazda5

Here's another:
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=5249

***Latia

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif Self-weaned at 24 months!

Lucia
05-08-2006, 06:56 AM
Thanks for the links...nice to read some reviews by other moms. Hopefully some others on the board will respond with their reviews. It really does sound like a great car/van/microvan/sportswagon..what exactly is it?! Are they popular where you live?

Piglet
05-08-2006, 10:27 AM
We are also looking at Mazda5s (as well as minivans), so I need to ask...

I like the IDEA of the Mazda5, but I don't love the car. I have a Protege and this weekend had to sit in the backseat with the 2 kids in carseats. I fit pretty well, all things considered - we had just come back from Costco after a weekend away and had a trunk full of luggage and a tree in the front seat (don't ask). My concern with the Mazda5 is the utter lack of trunk space. In that situation, I would have had to fold down at least one of the back seats to fit all the luggage, plus I still would had to stick the plant in the front seat foot well (and out the window... don't ask). Which would mean that I would have had to sit in the remaining seat, if there even was one. I fear that under the same circumstance, it would have been very hard to fit all of us the way that we did in the Protege. On top of all that, I worry about all the unrestrained cargo in the back flying around in case of an accident.

Do you think the car has as much capacity as it appears? I really wish they had put a longer trunk on it so that it didn't necessitate folding down the seats to fit luggage (or even a stroller).

Any thoughts?

mamato1
05-08-2006, 11:03 AM
So far I really love it. I don't have fuel econmy numbers yet, but I am hopeful they will be good. I do think if you need to haul a lot of stuff and are not in a position to keep one of the rear seat folded flat, then this might not be the car for you. We will be using the third row seats rarely when my in-laws are in town, so that is not a huge issue for us.

My DS is FF facing in a Marathon on the passensger side and I have the seat scooted all of the way back and there is plenty of room. I am looking for some seat protector things for the back of the front passenger seat because when DH scoots it all the way back Brendan can reach to kick the seat.

We lucked out and got a great deal on the floor model that the dealership had tricked out with heated leather seats. They are throwing in tinting for free and I think we will need it with a black interior and hot Kansas summers!

I will post again when I get some fuel economy numbers.
Chris

http://b3.lilypie.com/FnI6m5/.png

jenjenfirenjen
05-08-2006, 01:24 PM
OK, you are right. In this circumstance, the Mazda 5 would not have worked very well for you. You definitely would have had to have one of the 3rd row seats down with you sitting in the other 3rd seat. And that still does not give you tons of cargo space. If you can keep the full 3rd row down most of the time, then you will have plenty of cargo space but if you'll be needing that 3rd row very often, forget it. I can't even fit my single stroller behind the 3rd row.

For my needs, I still love this car. I have two car seats in the 2nd row and I keep the 3rd row down (but will be glad to have it when my mother is in town and we all need to go somewhere together.) If I needed a 3rd row more often AND cargo space, then I would have gone with the Honda Odyssey. But since I don't, I saved a ton of money by going with the Mazda 5.

It's very fun to drive and does not really feel or look like a minivan which I like. I've calculated the MPG twice now and both times got around 20-21 MPG. That is really strictly city driving. It's not great but I think it's about what they claim it is so I'm happy. I've heard most cars don't get near what the manufacturers claim on MPG. I'm sure if you do more highway driving it would be better but I wouldn't belive any claims of 30 MPG. I don't see how.

So, overall, I'm still in love. I test drove an Odyssey and I love it too and would have purchased that over the Mazda 5 if it was priced anywhere near as low. But since the Mazda 5 met our needs now and was priced more in our range, that's what we went with. I'm sure if we end up having a 3rd baby in the next few years, we'll have to trade up to the Odyssey. But for now, the Mazda 5 is perfect for us.

essnce629
05-08-2006, 04:52 PM
Like Marina, I also have a fear of unrestrained cargo. When the third row is up, is the trunk area open for everyone to see what's in your car or is there some sort of cargo cover? How big is the trunk area with the third row up? And when the third row is down, how big is the cargo area and does stuff just roll around back there? I definately wouldn't want to get in a crash with a big unrestrained stroller flying around in back!

***Latia

jenjenfirenjen
05-08-2006, 05:07 PM
When the 3rd row is up, there really is not much cargo area for anyone to see. Really. I have the cargo net that goes behind the 3rd row and I can fit about 3 grocery bags in there. So generally, the 3rd row is down in my car and my cargo is unrestrained. I suppose this would be the same in any minivan. Really, the only thing I have back there on a daily basis is a stroller. I'm sure there is a way to bungee cord it down if it concerned you. I just haven't done it.

Lucia
05-08-2006, 08:01 PM
Great feedback and some good things to consider in terms of safety and ease. As far as unrestrained cargo, you can get the cargo cover ($160 on the Mazda accessories site) and it will pull over and snap in place like on the cargo area of a station wagon. I don't know if that is a possible accessory with a true minivan.

I think this might be the right car for us at this stage in our lives with only two young children and only occasional use of the 3rd seat. We currently have a station wagon, which is great except I can't fit anyone else in between the two car seats so we can't carpool or have family travel in the same car when they visit.

Do you find it easy to get the car seats securely in the second row? Any issues with the air conditioning since there isn't air specifically in the back like most minivans? And also are tinted windows standard on any of the models?

Thanks for all of the good info!

Lucia
Great feedback and some good things to consider in terms of safety and ease. As far as unrestrained cargo, you can get the cargo cover ($160 on the Mazda accessories site) and it will pull over and snap in place like on the cargo area of a station wagon. I don't know if that is a possible accessory with a true minivan.

I think this might be the right car for us at this stage in our lives with only two young children and only occasional use of the 3rd seat. We currently have a station wagon, which is great except I can't fit anyone else in between the two car seats so we can't carpool or have family travel in the same car when they visit.

Do you find it easy to get the car seats securely in the second row? Any issues with the air conditioning since there isn't air specifically in the back like most minivans? And also are tinted windows standard on any of the models?

Lucia

jenjenfirenjen
05-09-2006, 12:05 PM
It's not that hot here yet so hard to say on the A/C. I'm having a remote starter installed so that I can start it up and get it either cooled down or warmed up before we get in.

I had no problems installing car seats in the 2nd row. Had them checked by a CPS tech and they were fine. I think they'd be fine in the 3rd row too, but there is no LATCH system, although there is a top tether if your kids are FF. Good to know about the cargo cover. I'll have to look into that.

The window tinting was not standard but I had it done for just a few hundred bucks and they are super dark and DS is quite happy to not have sun in his eyes anymore.

mamato1
05-10-2006, 08:27 AM
Sorry so late to post on this, it has been a busy week. Anyway, I also leave my cargo in the back. I have a big bag that velcroes to the floor and I keep emergency supplies in it. I also keep my stroller back there. There are so many hidden storage compartments throughout the rest of the car that I feel like I have secured anything else that might fly around in the event of a collision.

We were also concerned about the lack of AC in the back and got the dealership to throw in tinting as part of the deal. I had read somewhere that Mazda does not classify the vehicle as a minivan, but rather more as a car. I guess that means that the laws differ in how dark you can tint the back windows. Not sure why that it is though. Anyway, in my state it is legal to tint the back windows pretty dark and that is what we are doing.

HTH
Chris

http://b3.lilypie.com/FnI6m5/.png

essnce629
05-23-2006, 04:41 PM
I just test drove the Mazda 5 last weekend. We've also looked at and drove the Toyota Sienna and the Honda Odyssey. Right now we only have one child and probably won't be having another one for 3 more years, but I secretly lust after the sliding doors of the minivans, the captain's chairs, and the ability to walk through to the third row. I would have never even considered a minivan as my next car if it wasn't for these boards. Right now I drive a microscopic two-door Hyundai Accent which suited me just fine in my single college days, which is when my dad bought it for me, but it sucks now. And for the past two years I've babysat another little girl full time so I've had two carseats squeezed in there as well. I dream of a car that will fit two carseats nicely, but still has room for my mother or another adult to fit comfortably (which means not squished next to a carseat with no hip or shoulder room). A car with a third row (that is accessible with two carseats installed) seems like what I would be looking for. I definately wouldn't drive an SUV because I don't think they are safe and with gas prices so high I need something with good gas mileage. I really liked the Odyssey when I saw it. It was extremely comfortable, had a ton of storage, it drove like a car, and I felt like the third row was more comfortable and spacious than the Sienna. But my boyfriend thinks it's way too huge for our needs, out of our price range, and the gas mileage wasn't good enough. Also, we prefer 5 speed over automatic cars (I know I'm weird). So when I heard about the Mazda 5 it sounded like a perfect compromise for us. I sent my boyfriend some links to websites about it and he actually really liked it so we went to go check it out. I'll start off with what I liked about the car. First off, I loved the look of it. It kind of looks like a cross between a mini-minivan and a Toyota Matrix type of car. It drove really well, better than the minivans, and it comes in a 5 speed option. It's also a lot cheaper than a minivan and has better gas mileage (22 city, 27 highway). It has great safety features (side curtain airbags in all 3 rows) that are standard. I installed Conner's carseat in one of the captain's chairs (FP Safe Voyage) using LATCH and got a rock solid install. In fact it was in there so tight that I had to have my boyfriend loosen it for me when it was time to go since I couldn't on my own. Also, both of the captain's chairs and both of the third row seats have forward facing tether anchors located directly behind and at the bottom of the seats, so you can technically have 4 forward facing carseats in there (although there are only LATCH anchors in the captain's chairs). My worry was that with two carseats installed in the captain's chairs it would be difficult to access the third row, but both captain's chairs easily slide all the way forward making getting into the third row not a problem. Also, I was able to walk through the two captain's chairs to the third row without a problem, but I'm really thin so this might be more difficult for someone else. For our situation, we'd keep the third row down so we could have a large cargo area for groceries, a stroller, etc. With the third row down, the cargo area is about the size of that of a SUV or station wagon-- pretty big. But, with the third row in use, the trunk space is nil. I was able to cram my Chicco Tuscany umbrella stroller back there with the third row up, but it took up the entire cargo space and I really had to smoosh it in there-- but at least I know I could fit it in there (with nothing else) in a pinch. I'd say, with the third row up, you could fit 5 paper grocery bags of food in a row. The trunk was exactly the width of my Chicco Tuscany laid lengthwise. So if you only have one or two kids and would only need the third row occasionally (when relatives came to visit, etc) then I think this would be a great car. But, if you need the use of the third row all the time then you'd have to sacrafice trunk space. Because the captain's chairs slide forward, my boyfriend (5'11") and I (5'7") didn't have any trouble fitting in the third row (and we both tried sitting back there together). I did notice that there's not much room under the captain's chairs to place your feet when you're in the third row. Both my boyfriend and I felt most comfortable having one leg bent and then extending our other leg through the opening between the captain's chairs. I really liked that it had sliding doors, but they are not automatic which was kind of a bummer. I really like the automatic sliding doors of the Sienna and Odyssey and the security of knowing if an arm is in the door path of the Sienna or Odyssey it will stop and reverse on it's own. I feel like I'd have to be more careful with the sliding doors of the Mazda. I also wish the Mazda came with leather seating, but this is not an option right now (but looks like it will next year-- see article below). Most of the interiors are black cloth. There is no climate control or vents in the third row like there is in the Sienna or Odyssey. For me I don't think this would be too much of a problem since the third row would only be used occasionally and I would also plan to get the windows tinted, but again, if you plan on using in the third row all the time this might be a problem. Another odd thing I found was the placements of the arm rests. When you think of captain's chairs in minivans, you imagine there being arm rests on both sides of the captain's chair (one for both arms), but in the Mazda 5 only the inside side of the captain's chairs have armrests and there's nothing for your outside arm to rest on...kind of odd. Also, the driver has an armrest, but not the front passenger. So all in all, I think this would be a great car for a family with one or two kids who only needs to use the third row occasionally. I really like the idea of my mom being able to fit comfortably in the third row without having to be pressed up against the side of a carseat. I love all the safety features and think this is a great compromise for someone who likes all the features of a minivan but don't really need a vehicle that's so big or costs so much. And if you read the article below, it looks like next year they'll be adding some nicer features to a new Touring model :).

***Latia

essnce629
05-23-2006, 04:46 PM
http://www.latimes.com/classified/automotive/highway1/la-hy-neil17may17,0,3014985.story?coll=la-home-highway1

"Next year, I understand, Mazda will offer a Grand Touring edition with heated leather seats, high-intensity headlights and perhaps Isofix child-seat fasteners in the third row."

Leather seats and LATCH in the third row sounds great to me! Maybe they'll add automatic sliding doors and some more armrests as well.

***Latia

starrynight
05-23-2006, 11:18 PM
Don't have one, haven't checked it out either. But wanted to mention there was a poor review of this car in USA Today about a month ago.

essnce629
05-23-2006, 11:56 PM
I assume this is the article the above poster was talking about.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/reviews/healey/2006-03-09-mazda5_x.htm

***Latia