PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Katie Couric's departure & Meredith Viera as new co-host?

sbjf
04-07-2006, 09:21 PM
I for one can't believe Katie's leaving to do the CBS Evening News, just seems to be a step down to me, but what do I know. :-) I do have to admit that I'm not happy with NBC's choice of Meredith Viera as the new co-host for the Today Show. I just can't take her seriously after seeing her as the Millionaire host for some reason. I don't dislike MV, but I just can't see her in this spot for some reason. I really, REALLY wanted them to choose Ann Curry and I don't know why the heck they didn't. I am glad that they didn't choose Campbell Brown though, I don't like her delivery, she seems rough/harsh to me.

jenjenfirenjen
04-07-2006, 09:28 PM
Honestly, I can't stand either one of them. I really can't see Katie anchoring the Evening News. She's just a little too perky and corny for that but who knows. I agree Ann Curry would have been a better choice than MV. I'm not too fond of Campbell Brown either but I wouldn't have minded that Natalie Morales they have guesting sometimes.

Lovingliv
04-07-2006, 09:30 PM
Funny that you bring this up. I was just saying this to my DH. It is his opinion that it is a HUGE step up to anchor the evening news. That being said, who will watch the Today show now? It is just not the same without Katie.... :( She adds so much,,,I kinda feel like I know her.

Anywho, I am so impressed with you. Two little ones, one on the way and you find the time to watch TV? I am never going to complain again!

sbjf
04-07-2006, 09:41 PM
I really don't typically watch the Today Show, The View, or Millionaire but I do catch them from time to time, snip-its, trust me!

jbowman
04-07-2006, 09:43 PM
The Today Show is my favorite show on TV, I like Katie Couric, but I think it's wise for her to move. First of all, she'll be the first woman to anchor the nt'l news solo. That is big IMO. She's been on The Today Show for 15 years--so I understand why she'd want a new challenge. Plus she won't have to get up so early. :)

All of the talk about her not being qualified is a bunch of junk. She's reported the news for years, conducted many interviews, has a college degree (which Peter Jennings and Brian Williams did/do not have), and is accessible. Perhaps the reason that some might think it's not a "step up" is due to the increasing irrelevance of the evening news. I don't think many people watch the evening news anymore in the age of the internet/24-hour news/cable news.

And I would have liked Ann Curry to have been chosen as TS host. She is intelligent and warm. I can't stand Campbell Brown--she's obnoxious, and I will never forget how negative she was about BF a couple of years ago during a segment on babies. Meredith Viera is ok--it seems funny to me that she used to be a correspondant for 60 Minutes, and now Katie Couric will be, while MV is going to The Today Show.

I didn't really I had such an opinion on these matters. ;)

sbjf
04-07-2006, 09:47 PM
>The Today Show is my favorite show on TV, I like Katie
>Couric, but I think it's wise for her to move. First of all,
>she'll be the first woman to anchor the nt'l news solo. That
>is big IMO. She's been on The Today Show for 15 years--so I
>understand why she'd want a new challenge. Plus she won't
>have to get up so early. :)
>

Good points! And I didn't realize she would be the first woman to anchor the national news solo, that is big.

BaileyBea
04-07-2006, 11:51 PM
Funny, while I love the Today show and love the family, joking atmosphere.. there are times lately when Matt and Katie get on my nerves. Their interview styles of answering the questions for the person being interviewed annoys me. Their leading and stupid questions sometimes make me scream at the TV.

So a part of me is ready to see Katie leave. But I can't stand Meredith Viera and this means I'll probably quit watching the show all together. I honestly can't stand The View, because of all the bickering. Her Millionaire hosting run is a joke. I can't take her seriously either.

I like Ann Curry and I'm okay w/Campbell Brown most of the time. I agree she does seem young and naive w/her questions. It's hard to believe she's 37 years old. And I like Natalie Morales a lot. I guess in my opinon any of them would be better than Meredith. I give her 9 months and she's out of there.

I also want the Today show to quit doing so many stories about Plastic Surgery or other vain subjects. Sometimes it's just such a shallow show.

barbarhow
04-08-2006, 05:58 AM
Good for Katie-going to anchor. I agree with PP about Meredith Viera. I don't think I will like her but as DH said last night-at least they didn't pick Regis. ;-)
I, personally, don't hold much in store for Ann Curry but that is due to interactions with her that have nothing to do with news delivery. She was nasty on two separate occasions when I cared for her kids in the ER. Sorry-just because you are famous doesn't mean you get to treat others like doodoo. On the second occasion I let her know that she was obnoxious and she actually apologized-small credit for that-she should have known better in the first place.
I find Campbell Brown a tad cheerleaderish. I like Natalie Morales.
I also happen to think that Lester Holt would make the next best anchorman, love his voice and don't mind looking at him either. :-)
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!

octmom
04-08-2006, 06:38 AM
I agree with those who said that anchoring the network news is a huge deal, but I am sad that Katie is leaving Today. I rarely watch the network news because of the time it is on and being busy with the kids, but the Today Show is like an old friend to me, usually on in the background while I get ready for work. In recent years, I've missed it some because we have been tuned in to Playhouse Disney instead. (Whatever it takes to get ready!)

I've met Katie a few times through my work (not in TV at all) and have found her to be almost exactly like she is on TV. I think some (my dad) find her perkiness annoying, but I have always really liked her. I also think she is a good journalist. Matt and Katie have a good rapport and it will be strange to see him with Meredith Viera. I am glad they didn't give the job to Ann Curry. She's OK at the news desk, but when she interviews guests, she seems to overdo it, almost like she is acting. And Campbell should stay on the weekends as far as I am concerned. A friend of mine knows her somewhat (through her new husband) and does *not* like her. My brother also met her through mutual friends a few years ago before she made it big and he said that she was cold. Maybe her new husband has changed that about her. Who knows.

I really miss the David Bloom- Soledad O'Brien team from Weekend Today, even though I do like Lester Holt a lot. I wonder if they thought about Soledad for Katie's spot or if she would even consider coming back to NBC.

For me, it will be strange to see Katie on another network. I've always been a NBC News watcher, starting when I was a kid and we watched the local NBC affiliate at home in NY. I even interned at NBC when I was in college, further cementing my fondness for the network. I like Katie, but I am not sure that I will seek her out on CBS.

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
DD, Katie 3/06

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

AngelaS
04-08-2006, 06:52 AM
I don't think any anchor could duplicate the rapport of Matt, Katie, Al and Ann. I REALLY don't think Meredith Viera will fit in there at all and I really don't like her. :P

FWIW--when we named our baby Meredith, that woman was a reason I really DIDN'T want to give her that name, but dh had no idea who "Meredith Viera" was.... :P at him

JBaxter
04-08-2006, 08:13 AM
I do watch the today show for an hour or so in the mornings and I really dont like Meredith Viera. I dont watch her other shows ( maybe once each) They had some great choices w/ Ann or Campbell. Im wondering if they are "trying" her in the position like they did Deborah Norville -- she tanked big time.

muskiesusan
04-08-2006, 09:26 AM
While I really like the current Today lineup, I it is great that Katie is taking this opportunity, which I think would be hard for any reporter to turn down. With that said, I'm not sure how well she will do in this role as I think her charm is her personality and candid moments with guests. Neither of those come through when you are reading the nightly news, kwim?

I would have been fine with Natalie Morales, but Ann Curry and Campbell Brown drive me nuts. Ann seems a little to over the top for me (especially the way she delivers "heart wrenching" stories and Campbell, well, she doesn't seem as polished and her questions seem remedial.

I actually really like Meredith Viera and have been following her for years (I first remember her on a news show called W 57th). I will admit I haven't enjoyed her as much on The View the last few years, but I think that is more b/c of her co-hosts. I also thought it was odd when she took on Millionaire, but, I know she is the bread winner in the family, so with her husband being ill with MS and cancer, maybe she saw it as a good opportunity to earn some extra money (her DH is a writer, so I often have wondered about the medical bills). At any rate, I am glad her turning down opportunities in the past to focus on her family did not inhibit her in the long term. I think that is something we should all be happy about. :)

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

Toba
04-08-2006, 11:17 AM
LOL ... when my son was small, that's when I watched the most TV. I exclusively pumped for him for over a year (he only got EBM until he was about 19 months old ... I'm very proud of that since it's the most dedication I've ever shown! LOL) and when you're sitting there with your hands occupied and strapped to a chair, there's not much else TO do but watch TV.

~Kimberly Anne~
Noah Nevan, March 12, 2004
*the light of my life*

aguinn
04-08-2006, 12:50 PM
I am also unhappy with the choice of Meridith Viera. However, I am really glad they did not choose Ann Curry - she's a horrible interviewer! It's hard to watch her - she steps all over herself and interrupts the person she's interviewing.

I wish they had chosen Campbell Brown, as she's already doing a lot for the network (Weekend Today, Nightly News fill-in, Today Show fill-in). I wonder if they're thinking they didn't want to roll the dice on someone younger who might leave to have kids?

I don't know who else I would have wanted to see in Katie's chair... her and Matt get on pretty well in front of the cameras, and he needs someone who is more wacky, as he's a bit too buttoned up at times, IMO.

I'll be sad to see Katie go! She's been the co-anchor ever since I started watching morning news 15 years ago!

;)amy
momma to DS#1 "Big Brother" (BB) and, finally, DS#2 "Little Brother" (LB)

http://b3.lilypie.com/Eygrm4/.png[/img][/url]
http://b1.lilypie.com/ur0Am4/.png[/img][/url]

"Children are the living messages we send to a time we will not see." ~ Neil Postman

samiam
04-08-2006, 02:31 PM
Glad I'm not the only one with strong opinions on this. I'm sad to see Katie go and am not sure I'd want to watch her at night time. I think she's better suited to a.m. roles. Time will tell.

I have NO interest in watching Meredith Viera on The Today Show and think she was a very bad choice. Natalie Morales should've gotten the job. I just don't think Meredith is going to be a fit.

kellyotn
04-08-2006, 04:45 PM
Maybe the one good thing about MV going to Today is that The View will come to an end without her. That show is just painful. I had to watch b/c mom kept telling me how weird Starr looked lately, so I finally tuned in and couldn't stand any of them! MV was the "best" of the lot, but that's not saying much. :)

jbowman
04-08-2006, 05:06 PM
>I wish they had chosen Campbell Brown, as she's already doing
>a lot for the network (Weekend Today, Nightly News fill-in,
>Today Show fill-in). I wonder if they're thinking they didn't
>want to roll the dice on someone younger who might leave to
>have kids?

Both Jane Pauley abd Katie Couric had children while they were working for Today. I can't imagine that this is an issue (esp. b/c many of the viewers probably find this aspect of a host's life appealing). I think the viewer response to Campbell Brown has been pretty negative (as it was with Alexis Glick, who was tapped as a potential replacement).

amp
04-08-2006, 09:22 PM
Wow, I would never have guessed Ann to be like that! She always seem so effusive and happy and nice! I guess you just never know, eh?

I'm just so glad that Campbell Brown didn't get the slot. I've got a grudge against her since the BF interviews too. Can't stand her since.

ETA: I don't really agree w/ Katie much of the time, particularly w/ the way she interviews people on current affairs and politics, but I've been watching her since she was on w/ Bryant Gumbel and I really just think my mornings won't be the same w/o her. I'm a little sad.

BaileyBea
04-08-2006, 11:37 PM
Soledad O'Brien would have been an excellent choice! I vote for Soledad! She's a super Mom too!

Oh and how I miss David Bloom. I cried and cried when I heard the news he died. I was hoping that he would replace Tom Brokaw and not that nerd-o Brian Williams. Brian Williams seems so uptight to me and very conservative. Not anyone I could see having any type of fun at all. Now I watch Elizabeth Vargas instead of Brian WIlliams.

Queensgirl
04-09-2006, 12:15 AM
OMG, I remember W 57th! I really liked it. I also recall that Meredith Viera was on 60 Mins., and if I'm not mistaken, left the show do to some personal reasons (the show & studio weren't supportive of her decisions concerning parenting and maternity leave, something to that effect). Anyway, I'm obviously in the minority, but I actually like her. She seems sincere and is a real "news person", unlike her silly co-hosts @ The View (aside from Barbara Walters, that is). I agree with you, some of her decisions seem based on her financial needs, and she is the principal bread winner in that family. So, good for her to take advantage of whatever comes her way. My DH and I actually perfer her to Regis Philbin (who I hear from people who worked closely w/him-he's a schmuck!) on Millionare. Either way, I'm sure they're all gonna do just fine (we're talking a lot of $$$).

-Karina