PDA

View Full Version : Did your wedding ring ever fit again?

AddiesMom
04-13-2006, 08:20 AM
This is something VERY petty to be bummed over, but I still can't wear my wedding or engagement rings. DD was born in November and I am back to my pre-pregnancy weight (I wish my wedding day weight-LOL!) I still can't put on my rings and I am worried that my wedding ring won't look right if it is made larger, it is a very thin eternity band of diamonds. They fit when I was this weight last March, and my husband says to wait longer to see if they will fit again. Did anyone else have this problem? I think I might bite the bullet and take them to the jewelry store this weekend since I am sick of waiting for my fingers to shrink back!

Momof3Labs
04-13-2006, 08:24 AM
With DS1, it took almost 3 months for my rings to fit again. With DS2, they fit after 3 weeks (I wasn't back to pre-pg weight in either case). In both pgs, I had to stop wearing my rings by about 16-18 weeks pg. I'm not sure about your rings since it has been 5 months - I'd hate to see you size them up only to have your fingers thin out!

deenass
04-13-2006, 08:25 AM
I gave in about last summer and had my rings reszied. DS is 3 and despite weighing LESS than I did BEFORE I got pregnant, my rings never fit.

mommyoftwo
04-13-2006, 08:54 AM
It took me months to be able to wear my rings the first time. I would give it a little more time before I had them altered especially if your wedding band will be difficult to resize. I hope you are able to wear them soon. I couldn't stand to not have a wedding band so we bought an inexpensive thin gold band in a larger size that I could wear in the mean time. Maybe you could do something like that? I think we spent $30 or something like that.

AddiesMom
04-13-2006, 09:32 AM
QVC has something called "Epiphany". It is sterling coated in platinum with diamonique fake diamons. Maybe I will go fake for a while! :)

mommyoftwo
04-13-2006, 09:38 AM
Yeah, that would work too. I have a friend that did that. I just didn't feel married without a ring. I also look very young for my age and got tired of the nasty looks when pregnant and walking around with a baby. My dh was in med school at the time so not home very often. Whenever I would go to birthing classes etc (when dh couldn't make it) everyone assumed I was a teenage mom. Give it a little more time and hopefully your rings will fit again soon.

babymama
04-13-2006, 10:14 AM
It took about 2 months for my ring to fit again after DS was born. There is hope!

Wanted to mention that with my 2nd pregnancy, I never had the same swollen finger/hands issue and never had to remove my wedding ring. It's true - every pregnancy is different.

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, my 2 yr old monster
and new baby girl, Solana, born 12/26/05
I'll figure out how to update my avatar someday!

mudder17
04-13-2006, 12:43 PM
It did, but not until maybe 4-5 months later?

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_-6_Kaya+is.png
Kaya will be a sister, ~11/14/06!

jk3
04-13-2006, 12:56 PM
Nope. I lost 95% of the weight I gained but I had to get them resized.

Jenn
DS 6/3/03

sarahsthreads
04-13-2006, 01:20 PM
Actually, I wore my wedding band on a gold chain DH bought me exactly for that purpose from when I was about 7 months pregnant until Easter-ish time last year, and DD was born the previous October, so there's still hope! I was back to my pre-pregnancy weight much earlier than that, but it took a little longer for my rings to fit. I'm glad I didn't get them resized! (Though I have to admit I don't wear my engagement ring anymore, because I scratched DD several times with it when I started wearing it again. Maybe when she's older...)

Good luck!
Sarah :)

COElizabeth
04-13-2006, 01:23 PM
With James it was about 4 months before I could wear my rings comfortably, but with Charlotte it was really about a year, if I remember correctly! I would give it a few more months before resizing just to be sure.

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
and Charlotte, 11-04-04

jvorhis
04-13-2006, 01:37 PM
No they are sitting in my jewerly box at home. I do have a set from QVC that I wear sometimes but DH just got me a nice anniversary band so that is all I wear now. I have to get my rings sized, I just never got around to it.

Corie
04-13-2006, 01:46 PM
I had to stop wearing my engagement/wedding rings around the 4th
month of my pregnancy with baby #2.
My son is now almost 18 months old and I still couldn't get them
on. I finally took them to a jeweler about a month ago and
had them sized.
I went from a ring size of 5 to my new ring size of 6. :)

Alice523
04-13-2006, 02:14 PM
I understand why you're bummed about it. My son was born November 30th, a few weeks after your DD, and I forced them on for his baptism February 11th. A lot of our friends were going to be there and I was sick of not wearing my rings! My fingers slimmed down right around the same time because they went on/off very easily soon after that.

Sillygirl
04-13-2006, 02:34 PM
It's not petty! I was so sad not to be wearing my rings and I even got a little paranoid that I was looking like an unwed mother when I was out with Jonathan. I had lost all my baby weight but my rings still didn't fit three months out. I finally just jammed them on my finger and wore them for a few hours a day. After a little while they fit much better. I don't think wearing them had much to do with that, though. It probably was just the extra time it took for my fingers to get back to normal.

ilovetivo
04-13-2006, 08:23 PM
It took a couple months after I was pre-pregnancy weight for them to fit again. I guess there was still some swelling even though the weight was gone. I'd wait if I were you.

hez
04-13-2006, 08:54 PM
Mine fit again-- it did take a few months, though.

In the meantime (and during the pregnancy) I couldn't stand to have a bare finger, so I bought a fairly cheap ring from Kohl's -- sterling silver with a fake something-or-other large pink stone. It was nice to have, and folks assumed it was something good and expensive set in platinum, and DH was just spoiling me 'cause I was pregnant/just gave birth :)

jda312
04-14-2006, 01:59 AM
My rings never fit again, not after my first when I was thinner than pre-pregnancy weight...not now (after my second) when I'm about pre-kids weight. I bought these fake rings in 2 sizes from Nordstrom that I really like, but now I'm just not wearing a ring at all 1) because I have bad eczema on my hands and 2) because I'm campaigning for a reset or an upgrade. Such a sentimental gal I am :)

Kind of a funny story: When my first was 15 months and I was looking pretty svelte, I put on my ring for our 5 yr wedding anniversary dinner. Within seconds, my finger swelled and I COULD not get it off. We rushed over to a local jeweler and had it cut off. Truly, the rings probably hadn't fit years before the pregnancies. My finger had that indentation where the rings sat, but after taking them off (when I gained weight) that indentation went away. I'm not sad about it. My ring size just grew a bit kind of like my feet. What are you gonna do?

Jennifer

spunkybaby
04-14-2006, 05:18 AM
I think it took about a year--maybe longer, can't remember exactly--before I could wear my rings again. I swelled up a lot during pregnancy. If I were you, I would wait before getting them resized. The swelling in your fingers may still go down! (But I definitely understand the frustration of waiting and having a bare ring finger!)

Not-so-new mom to a spunky toddler
March 2004

LBW
04-14-2006, 07:27 AM
Mine didn't fit after about 6 months, so I had them resized. Then, before I got pregnant this time I started to notice that they were really loose. Even though I'm pregnant now, there are days when they are very loose. So, after DS2 is born, I think I'm going to have them resized back down!

I don't know what I would do in your case. Sizing an eternity band is such a pain. I guess see how long you can hold out before doing it.

firsttimemommy
04-14-2006, 09:20 AM
It took awhile for me too - so just hang in there. I would wait a year before resizing and I agree going fake for the time being is a great idea!

The funny thing is that my FEET just recently (last 6 months) went down - and DS is TWO!! LOL I wore a 7.0 pre-pregnancy and then a 7.5-8.0 for 18 months after DS was born. Now I am having to buy mostly 7.0-7.5!!! WEIRD!!

Ronda
Proud Mommy to 2 adorable munchkins - 1/03 and 4/04

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes........that way you are a mile away and you have their shoes."

writermama
04-14-2006, 02:28 PM
Yes, but it took a long time. My fingers seemed to be the last place that I lost weight, even after I lost all of the pregnancy weight. This time around, however, I'm still wearing my rings so far (knock on wood), and by this time last pregnancy they didn't fit at all.

Good luck!