PDA

View Full Version : Where's the weirdest place you've done it...?

proggoddess
04-13-2006, 10:14 AM
Change a diaper, that is! :) Thought this might be a fun thread.

This past week, I've had two moments. The first was last weekend at DH's and my alma mater. There was a role-playing and board gaming convention full of college kids and we had to change DD on a bench under the stairs in the Student Union. That really made me feel old!

Then, on Tuesday, we went to the mall to walk around. DD likes to look at the RV models on display. So we had to change her in a very lovely RV which costs half as much as our house! Luckily no salespeople were around.

bcky2
04-13-2006, 12:16 PM
the saddest thing is i think it was the front seat of our car. how boring is that! does it make it more exciting because i got poop all over the cloth interior?

Puddy73
04-13-2006, 12:26 PM
With a heading like that, you should get some interesting responses!

For me, it would have to be the Koala house at the Jacksonville zoo! It was quiet and relatively empty and quite frankly it already reeked of poo.

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle 9/08/03 & Finn 10/31/05

"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane." - Jimmy Buffett

cmdunn1972
04-13-2006, 12:32 PM
DS's adoption finalization was out of town, and we planned to celebrate at a soup and sandwich place near the courthouse for lunch with my parents. I picked the place out via the internet, but being that we were out-of-towners, I wasn't familiar with the reputation of the place, including child-friendly facilities. It turns out that not only did it have no highchairs and no changing station in the bathroom, but it was also a lesbian hangout. (Not that there's anything wrong with that. ;)) Well, of course DS had a poopie diaper during dinner. There was no place to change him in the bathroom, so I did it on the floor by our table. DH was embarrassed, but I figured that if they didn't want stuff like that happening in their restaurant then they should have the proper facilities.

The food was good, but what a weird lunch!

(Edited for clarification)

mudder17
04-13-2006, 12:50 PM
Hmm...let's see...the trunk of our car (that was a poopy diaper so it HAD to be changed), and in the lobby of a restaurant on benches while waiting for a table. The bathrooms did not have a changing table, so DH and I did a quick change on the bench. No one batted an eye. Oh, we did it in a booth one time (that was a standing, quick diaper change) because again, no changing tables.

Oh, and today, Kaya peed in her travel potty sitting in front of my car, which was parked in front of her friend's house. She just sat there comfortably and after about 10 minutes did the deed (no idea why it got into her head she had to go potty NOW).

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_-6_Kaya+is.png
Kaya will be a sister, ~11/14/06!

Zana
04-13-2006, 01:02 PM
On the floor of a really small airplane (I forget the exact type but it only had 2 seats on either side of the aisle) - DSs first trip at 3 mths..he had a big blowout, there was no space in the plane's mini-toilet, so the stewardess reccommended we do it on the floor just outside the cockpit door. It was so weird to feel the whole plane shuddering and vibrating under poor DS!

ribbit1019
04-13-2006, 01:57 PM
Well the hardest palce was in the bathroon of an airplane.

Strangest would have to be last night on an empty palate at Costco. They have the solid tops on them, DD was soaked I needed groceries and only had 15 minutes before the store closed. No one saw and I was done in crazy fast because I needed Milk and Eggs and they are all the way in the back of the store. I just wish they kept the food in the front instead of all the other crap I don't need.

Christy
My Waterbabies
Maddy born 6/9/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
and
Jarred born 3/8/06
http://b1.lilypie.com/KH1pm5/.png
Co-Owner Ribbit Baby

karolyp
04-13-2006, 02:13 PM
Fun thread!

I have to say at a ride at Sea World. Well, it really wasn't a ride but one of those walk-though exhibit. They had these big fish tanks and so it was in a corner on the floor right in front of one of them. The line for the bathroom was crazy long and DD was soaked so I walked into the exhibit and did it!! My family stood around and covered us so nobody saw anything and DD was entertained by the fish!

Corie
04-13-2006, 02:16 PM
This was awhile ago but my husband changed my daughter's
diaper on the Riverwalk in San Antonio.

He just pulled down her shorts and yanked off the
diaper and quickly put on a new one. The whole process took
him no more than 3 minutes tops! :)
I don't think my daughter even knew what happened!

mommyoftwo
04-13-2006, 02:23 PM
Last week we changed Amelia's diaper on a decorative marble stand in the entrance to the men's room at a concert hall. We were there to see Sesame Street Live and they didn't have a changing station in the bathrooms. DH wouldn't do it by himself (we switched to CDs in January and it still confuses him) and for some reason I couldn't do it by myself (don't remember why). It was a strange experience. We've also done in on tables and booths in fast food restaurants several times.

annasmom
04-13-2006, 02:57 PM
O.k., this was NOT ME, if was my dh. But at my sil's baby shower at her country club, my dh changed Anna's diaper ON THE TABLE while he and the other guys were sitting outside on the veranda. Mind you, this is a table on which people EAT! When he told me, I couldn't believe it! He said another guy changed his dd as well. GROSS! Men, what can I say??

ribbit1019
04-13-2006, 04:22 PM
Um, not just men do this. MIL changed DD on her table (the only table they eat at) the entire time she watched her (4 mo to 21 mo), previous to that DN was changed there. She is still change dthere when she is over. Majorly grosses me out.

Christy
My Waterbabies
Maddy born 6/9/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
and
Jarred born 3/8/06
http://b1.lilypie.com/KH1pm5/.png
Co-Owner Ribbit Baby

annasmom
04-13-2006, 04:56 PM
You know what is funny about this Christy, I honestly don't think it would have grossed me out as much had it been on OUR table at home. Then I could have cleaned it, made sure it was clean, etc. It's not preferable, but, oh well. MY dh decided that he would just plop my dd down on a table, at which he and 4-5 other men were sitting and having drinks, and change her right there in front of everyone. I just don't get it.

Marisa6826
04-13-2006, 06:30 PM
Under the stairs at Ikea and also on the top of our car trunk - that one happened to be a particularly nasty dipe and I didn't want to risk the car upholstery. ;)

I have no qualms just sitting on the floor wherever and just doing a quick dipe change. I've got it down to about 45 seconds. :P

-m

Saartje
04-13-2006, 07:36 PM
My brother used to do much the same thing when his son was an infant. It wasn't that he was "a guy" and didn't know where to change the kid or something, but he was drawing attention to the fact that there were no changing stations in the mens' bathrooms even though there were in the women's.

hez
04-13-2006, 09:03 PM
Mom & Dad's yacht club -- no changing table there, so we handled it in the lounge (don't think bar, think TV room). I doubt anyone noticed 'cause it's officially a yacht club, but functions as a drinking club, IYKWIM :)

It's not too, too weird (unless you're in the next dressing room over and have to listen to it!), but I have done quite a few changes in the dressing rooms at Macy's (then Lazarus). Mainly 'cause that's where we went to nurse before the mall bathrooms got upgraded with a lounge and a nursing mom's room.

cmdunn1972
04-13-2006, 09:14 PM
That's primarily the reason I changed DS's diaper on the floor in a restaurant. It really irks me when I go to public establishments and there are no changing stations. For instance, I have stopped going to a 7-11 that I used to frequent in Gettysburg (on the way to my parent's house) in favor of a Sheetz that has changing stations in their restrooms. The day I was at the 7-11 and discovered this, it was tempting to simply change DS on the checkout counter rather than on the dirty bathroom floor tiles. (I didn't.)

It's not like changing tables cost a whole lot of money. I just don't get it.

proggoddess
04-14-2006, 08:10 AM
Yeah, when we were in the Student Union, DH wanted to change her on the tables in the food court! The bench we ended up on was at least outside the flow of normal traffic. No changing tables in any of the restrooms. 99.5% of college kids don't need them.

Some of these responses are too funny!

annasmom
04-14-2006, 08:17 AM
That really gets me, what are they supposed to do if there are no changing stations in the men's rooms?? I just don't understand it, especially in public places like malls, etc. Are we supposed to assume that a father is never out and about alone with his baby??

maestramommy
04-14-2006, 12:14 PM
Okay, two places. Just recently, in a booth at the Taco Bell. Normally I wouldn't do that, but they had no changing table in the bathroom, so what else can you do? Full of poop too.

The other was at the start of a hiking trail. I just knew DD had a poop blowout, and we were way too far from the car. I only had a Snap n Go back then so no stroller. Luckily I had a changing pad, but DD still hated it. The ground was so hard, and while kicking around, she hit her foot a little too hard on the dirt. Boy did she howl! Meanwhile she's soiled her onesie and I don't have a backup (I was a newbie in those days!). So I just wiped her off as best I could and we had to wait till we got home to totally clean her off. I think it was about then that I got fed up with the blowouts out the back and went to cloth.

elephantmeg
04-14-2006, 01:03 PM
On the floor of the loby of a retirement community. My husband works for a retirement community that has 3 facilities and since I'm on maternity leave I was able to go with him to an overnight stay at the one 3 hours away, well we had to be out of the guest room at 11 am and we didn't leave until 4 pm (were supposed to leave at 2 pm). Needless to say the bathrooms aren't equiped with changing tables!

DebbieJ
04-14-2006, 01:03 PM
I'm not shy--I change my ds anywhere.

The foyer at church (on a bench)
On the floor in the social hall at church
Basically on the floor anywhere

My friend changed her son right on top of the table at Baja Fresh when were done eating. No changing tables.

I often just wait til we get to the car and change him in the cargo area of our CR-V. It's just easier.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

boys2enough
04-14-2006, 01:11 PM
On the tray table (when DSs were still small babies) on a plane. Also the floor in the back of the airplane next to the exit door. There was either no changing table on the plane or the changing table was ridiculously small. I just said, "Pardon me. But you've got to do what you've got to do." And plunked DS on the floor and kneeled down by his side... I've changed both my DSs in many nooks and crannies that you can find on a plane. Really, what do they expect babies to do? Hold it for the whole 13-hour flight?!

Cheers, Lin
Mom to 2 wild boys
D 3/98
G 11/02

http://smilies.vidahost.com/kao/otn/pcomputer.gif

writermama
04-14-2006, 02:33 PM
Across a row of airplane seats. This, by the way, is an excellent way to save a seat on Southwest if you are allowed to pre-board with the baby, but the rest of your party (i.e. grandparents) are not. Just stretch the baby across the row while you change the diaper, and take your time until the rest of your party boards.

I can't absolutely guarantee that no one will be willing to sit next to you, but it worked for us.

brittone2
04-14-2006, 03:18 PM
We're mostly boring and tend to just change dipes on the front seat of the car.

Our weirdest place was probably in front of Philadelphia airport, out in the wide open. We were running late for a plane, DH was parking the car and had dropped us off since we had a ton of stuff (DS was a young infant).

I changed him in the stroller outside of the airport with a million people walking by. Not that weird, but it is one of our weirdest places.

aliceinwonderland
04-15-2006, 10:47 PM
The Colosseum. And countless planes' floors, seats, etc.

I would change a diaper and nurse (when I was lactating, of course ;)) virtually anywhere.