PDA

View Full Version : Planning 2nd birthday party for DS

Mamma2004
04-14-2006, 01:55 PM
DS will turn two on May 24 (still soooo hard to believe) and we are planning his party for the weekend prior so that it will not take place Memorial Day weekend. We are inviting his weekly playmates (ages 18-26 months), as well as a few more friends (ages 2, 3 and 5) and one set of grandparents (the others will visit the following weekend).

DS loves certain characters (Dora, Elmo, Thomas, the Wiggles, Clifford...), but from books and music rather than from television. He really loves to dance, too! We have a pool but since we live in Massachusetts, May 20 is early for a pool party. I am hoping, however, to be able to hold this year's party in our huge backyard where we have a sand table, a play house, balls, a toddler swing and plenty of room to run.

I am having so much trouble coming up with a theme for DS and his dozen or so little friends! We've already attended two Elmo parties so I would rather not go down that road. Since DS is just now becoming interested (obsessed) in Thomas and Dora, it seems strange to use them as his theme. I am hoping to hold next year's party at his music school - then I think they will all be old enough to really enjoy it.

I guess I am hoping to find brilliant suggestions from all of you who have already planned or attended birthday parties for this age. I was hoping to have a lot of music and have been thinking about a luau theme. Is 2 too young? Maybe I'm just making this much harder than it needs to be.

I would also like to have an activity or craft that involves all of the little ones for a very limited amount of time. Will they be too young - even with their parents' help - to use crayons or stickers to make a frame? Could they plant seeds in a little pot? Am I crazy to attempt a craft with a bunch of 2 y.o. children???

TIA for any advice you care to share with me. I really appreciate it!

Stephanie

kristenk
04-14-2006, 02:38 PM
Here's what we did for DD's 2nd birthday:

DD's 2nd birthday was in February and we ended up with a snowman theme b/c she was obsessed with all of the "snowmen" in our neighborhood over the holidays. We knew it could be sort of a strange theme when people received their invites and it was in the 60-70 degree range outside (we live in Texas and the weather was unseasonably warm), but she really likes snowmen so that's what we went with. All that to say, go with something your DS likes!

DD's party was inside and the kids played with some of her toys that I had left out for that purpose. I had also picked up a lot of playdoh and some different "tools" to use with it, and that was a big hit. I ordered a dozen clear inflatible beach balls with snowmen inside and had those scattered around the room and the kids enjoyed those, too. I had a couple of different craft kind of things that parents could help with, but we never really go to those. The kids were all busy playing and then it was time for cake, presents, etc. Our party wasn't very long (10-11:30am), so you could always try a craft kind of thing if you have time.

It sounds like it would be great to have the party outside! I luau would be fun! I actually think that you have enough activities already. What about getting bubbles and different bubble-makers? The mini spill-proof bubble cups that are out right now are fabulous! DD walks around with one all the time when we're outside and it's amazingly mess-free. Or could you put some paper up on a fence and let them paint? (On the last one, definitely tell parents that you're having messy activities and to dress appropriately!) I really don't think that I'd go with an organized craft activity. Maybe you could have a craft area so kids (and their parents) could come and go as they please? Write out instructions for the craft and put them on the table so parents will know what to do - assuming the activity isn't self-explanatory!

I hope that helped a little!

Kristen

Tondi G
04-14-2006, 07:56 PM
I think a LUAU is a fabulous idea for a 2nd birthday! We're doing a Monkey theme for Aidan's first birthday and Oriental Trading has some really cute Monkey and Luau themed party stuff right now!

I wouldn't bother with a craft! The kids probably aren't going to sit still long enough for a craft, even with their parents. I would say do something with playdoh but I can't remember if DS really played with playdoh at that age ... maybe around 2 is when he started playing more than eating playdoh! LOL. You could cover a little picnic table with butcher paper and buy a bunch of playdoh and plastic cookie cutters. you can also put butcher paper up on a wall and let the kids color on it with washable markers and chalk. sidewalk chalk is fun too if you have a patio!

Mason's parties up until now have been at my best friends family home and they have a huge pool and big yard.... the kids had plenty to do.... we never planned any activities besides the pool and a pinata at his 3rd and 4th birthdays!

You could rent a bubble machine if you like.... kids always love bubbles and lots of rental places that rent moonbounce jumpers have them!

Good Luck
~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05