PDA

View Full Version : Tarah (tarahsolazy) - hope you are OK after that tornado

dr mom
04-15-2006, 09:14 AM
I saw pictures on the news of the tornadoes and damage from Thursday's storm - I hope that you, DH and Fory are all OK. Down South we don't get much news from the midwest, but what I've been able to find online looked like quite a few vehicles and buildings were completely destroyed. Hadn't seen you online in a couple of days and just wanted to check in.

tarahsolazy
04-15-2006, 10:59 AM
Thanks for asking! We were lucky enough to be out of town for the big storm, visting family in WI. I'm glad we weren't there, huddling in the basement while the wind howled. I hate tornados, despite being a native Midwesterner. We called the neighbors and our house is fine, but one under construction a block or two away was hit by lightning and burned down! I guess it cut a swath right through downtown, several blocks of Burlington are all ripped up.

brittone2
04-15-2006, 03:33 PM
Glad to know you and your family are okay.

dr mom
04-15-2006, 06:20 PM
The pictures of downtown looked pretty bad. :(

I was wondering also about First United Methodist, which is a beautiful historic church in which DH and I were married. I think the worst of the storm missed it, it's at the intersection of Jefferson and Dubuque just slightly north of where the tornado did the worst damage. I haven't seen any pictures of that immediate area, so have my fingers crossed that the building is OK. St. Patrick's church appears to have sustained some major damage, however, and I saw pics of wreckage all along Burlington Street. Glad you were safely out of harms way, and that your house is still standing!!!