PDA

View Full Version : Would you go to Disneyland with a 18 month old?

Aunt to sweet baby boy
04-16-2006, 08:15 PM
UPDATE:

After all that i did not go. They were not going to leave until ~10:30 and since i know avi naps from 11-2 ish i did not want to be at a theme park with a very overtired child. The other person who went with them told me that it was not alot of fun and it was very crowded and avi was very tired and cranky. I hope that this fall when avi is closer to 2 years old we can take him. Thanks for the advice.
__________________________________________________ __________________

I have the chance to go to Disneyland tomorrow with avi and his mom. She found really cheap tickets- about 1/2 off and we both do not have work tomorrow. Is it worth it to go with such a young child? Avi will most likely not remember anything if we go but he would love the rides i think, and he loves being with tons of people. OTOH we could just take him to the park and he would enjoy that as well. I have not been to Disney in ~5 years and i want to go again.....

WWYD?

Thanks

Ilana

http://lilypie.com/pic/060403/hfNw.jpg[/img]http://b2.lilypie.com/h2bbm7/.png[/img][/url]

holliam
04-16-2006, 08:53 PM
I wouldn't, but I'm not a huge Disney fan anyway. But, my daughter is 19 months and is absolutely terrified of anything dressed up in a costume. It would be a total nightmare for us! Is he tall enough to ride the rides already? I guess I have no idea how tall you have to be for the kiddy rides!

Holli

writermama
04-16-2006, 10:10 PM
I've gone to Disney World with an 18 month old, and to Disneyland with a 2 and a half year old. I'd say it depends on the child (and the parents).

First of all, if tomorrow is a holiday, it will be crowded. Spring Break/Easter is one of the most crowded times of the year in general and holidays during that time can be insane. Personally, I hate crowds, but there are advantages -- more shows and live entertainment even if the lines for rides, food and bathrooms are very long. If you decide to go, get there early -- if the park is full to capacity, they may stop letting people in (last summer this was happening some days at 10:00 am).

There is a new toddler playground in Toontown on the former site of Goofy's bounce house. It opened the day after we left, so DD didn't get to use it, but it appears to be geared to the 2 and under set.

Chances are, an 18 month old couldn't do any rides with a height limit, but there are lots of rides that don't have them. Then it becomes a question of what the child likes -- children who don't like the dark, may have problems on dark rides (Peter Pan, Alice, Pinocchio, Buzz Lightyear, Snow White, Pirates, Haunted Mansion) and the themes and intensity of these rides may scare the stuffing out of them anyway. Most kids will like the out-door rides -- carousel, casey jr train, storybookland canal boats, tea cups, autotopia, jungle cruise, the train, and main street vehicles. And most kids will love Small World, even if the parents may get twitchy from getting the song stuck in their heads.

Beyond that, there are character encounters. Some kids are terrified of the characters at any age (heck, I've seen adults look at them sideways). Other kids, like my DD, thinks of them as giant stuffed animals and will run up to them for hugs. Depends on the child, but can also be helped by how the adults introduce the child to characters -- from a distance at first (like watching a parade), then holding the child, slowly approaching the character, and keeping yourself between the child and the character at all times. It also helps to tell the character that a child isn't used to characters yet. Most of the people who play characters are very good at coaxing kids to interact with them and they appreciate the clues as to how to respond to a child who may be shy.

Then there are other entertainment options -- bands in New Orleans Square (my DD loved them), the Dapper Dans on Main Street, Fireworks (terrify my DD), Fantasmic (too intense for my DD), and parades.

Finally, a child that age may just like being there -- it's a colorful, fantastic world in a slightly smaller scale that can really appeal to kids.

So the short answer is yes, I'd take my DD at 18 months. However, I probably wouldn't take her tomorrow (too crowded) and in your case, your decision really should depend on the personality of your nephew.

Hope this helps and have a great time whenever you do decide to go again,

COElizabeth
04-16-2006, 10:11 PM
I've been with my niece when she was 19 months, and she loved it. There are plenty of rides Avi can go on now. If your ticket is good for California Adventure, too, you might consider that. I think the little kids' area there is really nice.

Unless you anticipate that you wouldn't be able to take him again for many years, I wouldn't worry about whether he will remember this visit or not. As I read somewhere recently (maybe here), if you think that way you won't do anything fun with your kids. Have fun now!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
and Charlotte, 11-04-04

Wife_and_mommy
04-16-2006, 11:08 PM
I'd probably go. He'll enjoy the sights and sounds and you'll enjoy experiencing it with him.

That said, I don't like crowds either so depending on how much the tickets cost, I might only go for a couple or few hours.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

marit
04-16-2006, 11:19 PM
I have no idea about Disneyland, but just wanted to say it's good to have you back!

new_mommy25
04-17-2006, 12:05 AM
I would go but DH and I love Disney.

Aunt to sweet baby boy
04-17-2006, 12:07 AM
Thanks Marit! Maya and Yuval are so cute~ I love your avatar!

I think i am going to go with them. Avi is a really fun kid and i think it will be nice to share Disney with him....

Would you bring a Peg P3 or a Graco Metrolite.... I am thinking the P3 will be much better but just wondering..

Thanks again

Ilana

http://lilypie.com/pic/060403/hfNw.jpg[/img]http://b2.lilypie.com/h2bbm7/.png[/img][/url]

maestramommy
04-17-2006, 01:56 PM
Half off, I would consider going. I have heard of toddlers that are terrified of the characters, but it probably depends on the kid. If you're going on a work day it won't be nearly as crowded, and you can go on all the fun rides (Snow white, peter pan, all the good stuff :-). Your child should have fun with all the people, and if he doesn't have a good encounter with a character you can always avoid them.

I love Disneyland, and if we had a seasons pass I would take DD on weekdays. That said, keep your expectations low and keep the day relaxed so he doesn't get fried.

Coolamber
04-17-2006, 02:17 PM
I have been 3times and my dd will be 2 in May. She loves it. Are you going to have a room close by. Takeing a break at nap time is great for you and the kids. Take lots of pictures. My dd loves to look at the pictures from our trips. Going to Disneyland with a small child you ride all the kids rides you may have not riden before and see it from a different view.
Have fun
Mollie

Tondi G
04-17-2006, 03:15 PM
YES YES YES! We have annual passes and even my 10 month old enjoyed Disneyland! We are a D-land lovin family so maybe we're a bit biased but we always have a great time! I think 18 months is a really fun age. I loved just letting my older son go and watching what caught his eye/interrest! There are tons of rides he can go on too.... all the fantasy land rides, winnie the pooh, Buzz Lightyear, Autopia! I say GO and have a fabulous time! Take tons of pictures... he may not remember but he can look back on it in photos!

If he is a stroller napper take your own stroller.... they now rent city joggers and they do not recline.... although I have seen a ton of kids passed out in them! LOL

Have fun!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05 (my little guy has been several times already in his life!)

Melanie
04-17-2006, 11:53 PM
I'd bring the Graco for the basket room. Though I did many a trip with just a Mac.