PDA

View Full Version : Recovering Digital pictures HELP!!!

deenass
04-18-2006, 01:02 PM
I know that someone on the boards (maybe more than one of you) knows how to recover digital pictures. My camera took the pictures (of my trip to Paris!) but the memory stick is reading "file error" when i try to view or download them.

If you can help, please post or email me at
dsamberg - shefsky @ alum.wustl.edu (no spaces).

TIA!!!!!!

DebbieJ
04-18-2006, 01:47 PM
I bookmarked this link, I think on the advice of someone here

http://www.softwarepatch.com/software/smartrecovery.html

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

american_mama
04-18-2006, 09:22 PM
Hey, proof that was goes around comes around on the BBB! I think you emailed me some Easter/spring photos and advice two years ago when I was shopping for a digital camera, so I am happy to help in return.

First, something I learned the hard way: don't take any more photos. If you do, the news ones will probably write over existing ones and make them unrecoverable. I have had two episodes of losing photos, one of which I am still dealing with. The first time (described at the end) I called the manufacturer of my camera (Canon) and asked them what they recommended. They gave me four websites for software to download (cost about $20-$40). I think I used www.recover-my-photos.com. There was also something called Photo Rescue, plus two others.

All seem to cost the same and work the same, although some appear more professional than others. From the website, it reads your damaged card and shows you the photos that can be recovered. You download and pay only AFTER that, so you can decide first if it's worth it. I scanned using more than one software, made a list of all the files, and compared, and I THOUGHT each recovered almost identical files (but I would not swear to that since I confused myself more than once dealing with all those files. The software I chose could not recognize my camera hooked directly to the computer, so I had to buy a card reader for $20. I bought the card reader recommended by Canon (ScanDisk).

I got back about 60 to 80% of my photos. A sad note: some photos show up in thumbnails, but the full files are not really there or are corrupt in some way, so aren't really recovered.

The second time I lost photos, my card went on the fritz after a trip through airport security Xrays at LAX, although most people seem to think that was just coincidence. I don't understand it, but one corrupt file spread and corrupted about a dozen other photos, rendering my card unreadable. I am hoping to use the same photo software that's on my old computer to recover them, but I have forgotten the system password and don't know how to get around htat.

I think some people recommend replacing the card after an experience of it having unreadable or corrupt files. Alternatively, once you've gotten everything that you can off the card, other people recommend re-formatting it using the camera controls, filling the card completely with photos or video to highlight any bad spots, then re-formatting again this time using the computer software.

Phew. I know it sucks, but it wasn't as hard to do as it is to write. And, like me, you'll probably do almost anything to get your photos back.

Anyway, here is my post on the same subject:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=37&topic_id=185646&mesg_id=185646&listing_type=search