PDA

View Full Version : Mommy Wars

BaileyBea
04-19-2006, 08:38 AM
Anyone reading "Mommy Wars" by Leslie Morgan Steiner?

Just curious to see what you thought. I am thinking of picking it up as my last book read before Baby #2. I never have time to read anymore.

purpleeyes
04-19-2006, 03:56 PM
I'm on a list at my local library for it! I believe I am # 5 in the queue. ;)

She has a blog for the washingtonpost-

blog.washingtonpost.com/onbalance

Looking forward to hearing what others say about it-once we all get around to reading it! :)

Beth

lisams
04-19-2006, 04:40 PM
I think I've read an article with the same title - maybe it was hers. I think the media hypes this up more than anything. Personally I'm kind of sick of it all, people making money off of it I mean.

maestramommy
04-19-2006, 06:19 PM
Interesting! My SIL told me about it, but suggested it as a library read rather than going out to buy it. I know I shouldn't feel this way esp. since I'm a mom now and I'm reading about other moms but reading about the extremes of mothering (if that's what this is) is hugely entertaining.

lisams
04-19-2006, 06:47 PM
I agree that it is entertaining, but after a while it wears on me. Luckily I haven't seen any "mommy war" issues in real life with my friends. If I remember right, the article I read was pitting working moms against stay at home moms and it left me feeling kind of yucky.

maestramommy
04-19-2006, 07:41 PM
ewww, is that what the book is all about? Maybe I'll give it a miss. Who needs it? I thought it was about moms trying to have it all or something.

lisams
04-19-2006, 09:22 PM
Oh I don't know about the book. This was just an article I read - it might have been the same author, but it was about the "mommy wars". Maybe someone here can help us figure this out ;-) Anyone know what the book is like?!!

cmdunn1972
04-19-2006, 09:25 PM
I haven't read the book, but I saw her interviewed on the Today show. If I remember correctly, it's pretty much what you think it is. I'm with you, enough is enough! ;)

BaileyBea
04-19-2006, 09:49 PM
A local Mommy's group is reading this book for their book club and that got me curious.

I think ya'll are right. I really hate Mommy slamming and especially Mommy's doing it to one another. But from my experience there are some people who are probably just like this book expresses. And if you don't hear any of this from your friends then I think you are so lucky.

For example: before I even got Pregnant my BF since 1st grade and her DH went out to dinner w/me and my DH. They decided it was time to lecture us about how Mom's that don't stay home with their children for the first 5 years are horrible people, mothers, with terrible children, etc.....

I know why they did this.. I was really into my career and they wanted to prove to me how backwards thinking they were. Har Har. I immediately told them off and DH and I left dinner early, mad as could be with them. I told them that women fought for rights in the workplace, at home, with finances etc.. for many years and I felt that should be respected. Women have choices and our jobs as women and as Mothers is to support one another no matter the choices we make etc. Because when we support each other we insure we all have choices in the future.

My BF and I still cannot talk about this subject to this day.

On the other front. I decided to stay home and it's the best decision for me at the moment but some of my working GF's and Mommy's don't talk to me much anymore. One even asked me to tell her step by step what I do all day.

WOW! That really hurt! I had to defend my Mommyhood to them. It was not fun.

Then there is a SAHM who has her baby in daycare the whole day, a maid, no job, no hobbies etc.. The other SAHM's in the hood get so irritated with her. I never say a thing because I know why she does it and I agree it's the best thing for the baby. She's a manic depressant and somedays can't handle things well. Of course I have never told anyone else this.

This book just got me curious. I don't know if I'll read it or not. I may just put my name down for it at the library.

purpleeyes
04-20-2006, 01:35 PM
I haven't read it, but it is my understanding that it is an attempt to illuminate both sides of the equation-what its like to be working or stay at home, or both.
In her blog she usually asks questions or poses thougths about making it work for each individual mom/dad/family, explores topics like better daycare, etc.
I'm looking forward to to reading it. FWIW, I am the only 'working' mom (I work part time) in my playgroup and it has never been an issue. They often ask me about work with interest-they want to know what's going on with that side of my life. If they judge, they don't show it, thank goodness! :)

Beth

mamalou
04-20-2006, 08:13 PM
Diane Rehm did a segment with Leslie Morgan Steiner and a SAHM promoting the book about a month ago. As I recall, it is a book of essays from all types of moms. When asked about the awful title, she said the book was more about the mommy war inside each mom about if she were actually doing what's best for her child, herself, and and her family. It was a great answer, but the book's subtitle is: Stay-at-Home and Career Moms Face Off on Their Choices, Their Lives, Their Families. It made me question her credibility a little. The two things that made me want to check out the book from the library was that she said the essays were 100% honest and heartfelt and there was one essay written by the-mom-who-hates-everybody which sounded hilarious.

http://www.wamu.org/programs/dr/06/03/09.php#10196

maestramommy
04-20-2006, 09:04 PM
Hmmmm! Maybe I should check it out after all.

BaileyBea
04-20-2006, 09:49 PM
Okay now I am very curious and am going to get the book.

If it's about the Mommy War inside then I think I can relate and probably most of us can. There are days when you feel like a bad wife, housekeeper, Sister, Friend, and sometimes a bad Mommy. It's so hard to keep on top of it all.. ALL THE TIME!

I think I may just read it sooner than later.