PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice on having a friend provide daycare for DS

infocrazy
04-19-2006, 09:36 PM
We are really unhappy with DS (8 months) daycare. They treat him well and such but I always feel he gets little attention since he plays well by himself and is a really good baby who rarely cries. The real issue though is he has been sick since the very first week. I know some is expected but come on! In the last month, he has had a nasty cold/cough that developed into his first ear infection (double), a red scratchy throat, then double conjunctivitis, then the stomach flu. I have had a cold/cough, sore throat, and am currently suffering from pnuemonia--before daycare I was NEVER sick!!!!

In any case, I was talking to a neighbor today to ask if she knew anyone who did in home daycare and she said that she would be willing to take in DS! She is a SAHM with a 2 & 4 yr old DSs. I seriously got teary! I told her to think about it because I didn't want to commit her in case it just popped out.

So, what should I make sure we discuss? Here is what I know we should talk about:

-- pay by hours or days & how much
-- time frame of course
-- taxes? Anyone know the rule here?
-- what she needs us to provide her
-- food

How much do YOU pay for in home daycare? Any advice?

Thanks!

ETC typos

firstbaby
04-20-2006, 08:59 AM
We use an in home daycare and are overall very happy with it. It is not a friend or close neighbor, though, providing the care. I think you have covered the big ones but other things to think about would include what happens if her kids are sick, how sick could your DS be that would preclude her from watching him, and the big one at this time of year which is vacations! If they are planning some time off this summer as a family you may not have the regular care that you need. Also, I would discuss holidays with her - would she be okay watching DS if you have to work but some places are closed for a holiday (like MLK Jr. Birthday, Columbus Day, etc). Good luck!

elephantmeg
04-20-2006, 12:33 PM
We're doing home daycare for our son, but haven't started yet (actually starting next week since my boss asked me to go to a 2 day seminar on the new computer system we're starting soon :(. Anyways, we talked about days/hours, vacation schedules, parenting styles (no spanking my child, but OK to do time out, remove from situation etc), OK with breast milk/keeping some breastmilk stashed in their freezer, what supplies they would have available, what I would provide (they ended up getting a pack-n-play so he would have somewhere to sleep-I nixed the idea of him sleeping on a reg bed!), meds out of reach/babyproofing, back up babysitting, willing to give meds/keep mildly sick (cold, ear infection etc) baby (I can take him to work with me if he's pretty sick-I'm a peds nurse and we run sick day care for hospital employees), meals/snacks, willingness to work with my idea of food introduction and to avoid apples at all cost (I'm allergic), limited TV, more reading etc... All the home daycares I called did not do taxes but the rates are SO reasonable. I'm looking at less than $50/wk for part time :)

HTH, I'm so not ready to go back but feel so much better that he'll be in a family environment...

jayali
04-20-2006, 01:59 PM
DS goes to in home babysitting. That said I am a SAHM, but he goes three mornings a week for socialization (mine and his). The woman that watches him has been watching children (grandchildren and non-related kids) for 40 years, so I really didn't have to think of much because she is a pro. I understand that your situation is different but wanted to suggest a couple of things. All of the pps had great information. You really need to think about what you will do when her kids are sick or she is. Also, talk about outings. Do you mind if she runs errands with your son. Do they need a double stroller another carseat? And it may be helpful, before either of you commit, to discuss schedules. Like DS nap and feeding times. Since she is watching her own two sons I am sure that she will want them all to be on similar schedules. That may not work for you, so discuss them upfront.

I pay $100/week for three mornings (about 12 hours). I provide my own diapers and food and some toys but she basically has everything else. I also let her take DS to the pool during the summer. He is the only child she watches during the summer months so I am completely confident he has her full attention. She does feed him lunch and a snack when he is there.

DS babysitter has become one of my closest friends. I hope this works out for you both.

Good luck.

saschalicks
04-20-2006, 03:03 PM
We do in home day care. We love it she takes both our kids. We supply diapers, wipes and formula for DS#2. She feeds DS#1 3 meals a day and healthy meals at that. She is just wonderful, she has a helper that is wonderful too. I would also raise the question about sick kids. My caregiver just called me on Tuesday and said she had conjunctivitis (sp?). It was up to us what we wanted to do. With DS#2 having a blocked tear duct issues another eye infection is not an option. So both kids had to stay away Tuesday and Wednesday. She is really good about hand washing and the such, but we couldn't take the chance. It was on me to find an alternative. Luckily my parents are able to fill in when needed. We pay $140 a week each child.

I know that PP mentioned the nap time. If her kids have a nap time you might want to consider that it will be good for your DC to have a regular nap time. We continue that naptime on weekends for DS#1 b/c it's just so much easier that way.

I really hope it works out for you.

mamato1
04-20-2006, 03:20 PM
I think it always wise to check on the laws in your state on providing in-home care. In my state, it would be illegal for someone to take in a child without being certified or licensed. I am not suggesting that your neighbor would necessarily need to jump through those hoops if you are comfortable with her. But if you could look at the licensing guidelines it might help you identify the kinds of issues that need to be addressed with her. As far as cost, that varies widely by region. You might do an internet search for organizations that help you find child care in your area. My area has something called the Day Care Connection. They would be a great source on a fair rate.

HTH!
Chris

Mama to Brendan (aka Boomer) 01/04

http://b3.lilypie.com/GBGQm5/.png

thomma
04-20-2006, 07:38 PM
We use an in home daycare and love it. There are three 3 year olds and two of them are mine. We pay 4.25 an hour for each kid so $340 each week. She feeds them breakfast, lunch and snack. I'm a teacher and during the summers when I'm off we have to pay 1/2 but can send dd and ds the hours that we pay for. We have to pay when our kids are sick and no school days because of snow. We do not have to pay when our dcp cancels because of sickness or a family emergency. We also don't pay when she takes her vacations...she takes 4 weeks off and all during the summer. We also get one free week every year-a week of our choice that we don't send the kids and don't have to pay. (We usually do this for one of my school vacations.)

My only thought/concern for your situation is that your friend has small children- are they sick a lot? if her children get sick what will happen? will your son go to daycare? How sick does your son have to be to not send him? Does that make sense?

Sorry for babbling...
good luck-
Kim
t&e 5/03