PDA

View Full Version : Update -- Question on Follistim injections. Anyone been through that in the infertility game?

tarabenet
04-19-2006, 09:41 PM
UPDATE
Thanks for all the support, including from the BBBer who PM'ed me about this. When I finally reached DH, he remembered that they told us this could happen. I was just focused on what to do if there was insufficient med for a dose. Later, the pharmacist returned my call and reassured me that this was normal. (I have to recommend theapothecaryshop.com if anyone needs to go throug this stuff. Their service has been great, including a 24-hour hotline directly to the pharmacist who specializes in fertility meds.)
Thanks again!

This is my first cycle using Follistim in TTC. I had a 600 IU cartridge, and just did my third 200 IU injection. But there is a fair amount of med left in the cartridge. Is this normal, or have I done something wrong? I have a call in to the pharmacist (they have a 24-hour call line). But I'm worried I messed up.

TMI FOLLOWS. NOT FOR THE SQUEAMISH!
DH did my injections the first two nights, but I had to do my own tonight. I messed up and held the pen like a pencil to inject it, and had to change my grip to press the plunger thingy. Well, nervous and all that, I managed to drop it. It feel to the carpeted floor, with the needle bent (not left in me, thank goodness). I changed the needle, and went ahead with my injection before I could chicken out. I'm worried now that I should have reset the dosage dial and started fresh. Did I not get my full dose? Or is it normal for the cartridge to be overfilled?

Any thoughts from anyone who's familiar with these injection pens?
Thanks!

thomma
04-20-2006, 05:12 AM
I used follistim for a few of my cycles but didn't use injection pens. So I can't help but wanted to send you some good vibes. Also, good for you for giving yourself the injection. I was a chicken and couldn't do it...8 cycles with shots and dh did every single one of them!

I'm sure everything will be okay.

Kim
t&e 5/03

Mamma2004
04-20-2006, 05:52 AM
I did several cycles of injections but unlike you, I didn't have the courage to do it myself and DH (with an unbelievably difficult work schedule) gave me every single shot!

I am sorry to say that I don't know about the dosage dial - I must have had different syringes because we kept our drugs in the refrigerator and withdrew from the vial only the amount needed for each injection. Does that make sense? It sounds like yours was a "pen" so I apologize for not having more information for you.

I just read your message and it's 6:45 a.m. here in Massachusetts so I imagine you've spoken with a physician by now. Just know that we wish you all the best!!!

Stephanie

alexsmommy
04-20-2006, 08:11 AM
My dose this cycle was lower than yours, but after three injections the cartridge was supposed to be empty and from what I remember there wasn't a significant amount left. I'd call your RE this morning - I doubt that one messed up dose will be that big of a deal. Are you injecting in your stomach or thigh? I can do my own in my thigh, but would have been squeamish if I had had to do the stomach ones.
Alaina
Alex 2-4-03

bostonsmama
04-20-2006, 11:17 AM
Hugs, Benet, the only injections we've done were in the hip, and that was Ovridel. I'm glad the pharmacist has worked things out for you. When we do Follistim and Lupron over the summer I'm sure I'll be emailing you with the same "freak outs."

Hugs. And feel free to PM me if/when you have the time. :)

Larissa

We're doing it! IVF orientation & consult scheduled for May 2nd!
Saline Sonogram--May 5th

Proud Aunt to Jack Dorian, born to my brother and SIL on 3/06
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32719.jpg