PDA

View Full Version : worried mom- toddler's hands are shaky?

SummerBaby
04-21-2006, 10:01 AM
I've noticed recently that when DD is feeding herself, one or both of her hands seem to shake ever so slightly. It's almost imperceptible. My mom and I see it, DH thinks we're nuts. I've also noticed it when she's trying to manipulate smaller objects, or trying to fit puzzle pieces in, etc. Her fine motor skills were on the slow side and things like this are more difficult for her. I also think she seems a little shaky when she wakes up from a nap (however she's usually been crying so that may have something to do with it.) These are the only times I notice it. I'm starting to really worry about this. I have a call in to the ped, but I thought I'd ask here too. Thanks for any thoughts you may have!

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04

momx3
04-21-2006, 01:22 PM
My son, who is now 10 years old, also has shaky hands. We noticed it around the time he was 2. He had the exact problems you noticed above. He was diagnosed with a motion disorder called essential tremor. It is sometimes called a familial tremor. He does not tremor when he is resting, only when he is intending to do something such as button his shirt or put small legos together. It really bothers me much more than it bothers him. We mentioned it to his ped and he referred us to a neurologist. The neuro did a total blood work up and an MRI to make sure nothing else could be causing the tremors. Once the labs came back, the neuro did some physical tests with my son and diagnosed him. PM me if you want to talk more.

Cathy

brittone2
04-21-2006, 01:27 PM
There are intention tremors and non-intention tremors. If it happens when she's doing something (vs. just relaxed) it could theoretically be some sort of intention tremor like the PP mentioned.

IMO it may very well be nothing, but it is probably worth looking into to put your mind at ease at the very least.

I'd ask for a referral to a neurologist if it was my child. You might also consider something like early intervention particularly if her fine motor skills are already a little behind. OT could work with her on the fine motor skills and managing the tremor if there is one.

SummerBaby
04-21-2006, 02:10 PM
Thanks to both of you. I talked to the ped about it and she did refer me to a neurologist to start. She mentioned the tremor and feels it's not something serious. If the neuro exam turns up ok, she suggested early intervention. Of course I'm still a wreck, but I feel better that at least our ped is not too concerned. Thanks again.

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04

Judegirl
04-23-2006, 11:05 AM
Rory's hands also trembled as she wsa doing fine-motor things like eating and putting things together. At almost 2, it happens much less frequently. I think it's probably not uncommon as they learn to use their muscles; trembling can happen from tensing up and turning a hand the "wrong" way. Try not to worry.

I didn't get it checked out, but once in awhile I see it again and I do wonder about it. Please keep us posted.

Jude

NewGrandma
04-23-2006, 05:38 PM
Val,
I just sent you an email. My grandson has similar symptoms & we've been told by one OT that it is very common in children with fine motor delays and by another OT that it is called 'Dsymetric Ataxia' and that it is caused by a high billirubin count at birth.
Has anyone else ever heard of Ataxia?
Linda

Saccade
04-25-2006, 01:08 AM
Hi, Linda --

Here's some general info on movement disorders, but ask your friendly neighborhood pediatric neurologist for specific advice on how this fits your grandson.

Ataxia simply means uncoordination of movement, and it can be due to any cause (the most common reversible cause that most people are familiar with is probably alcohol intoxication -- think of the DUI roadside test). Dysmetria means inability to correctly gauge distance (e.g. so that you undershoot or overshoot when reaching for something). Thus "dysmetric ataxia" is just a description of a type of movement problem, but not a diagnosis in and of itself.

High bilirubin at birth can affect grey matter structures deep in the brain called the basal ganglia. The basal ganglia are an important part of coordinating movement, so when they are damaged it can lead to movement disorders. Ataxia can be a result, though there are usually other signs to go along with the ataxia (including changes on brain MRI).

Both ataxia and dysmetria describe abnormalities in coordinating movements. This is a little different from fine tremor, which is what it sounds like you're describing, Val. Good luck with the neurology appointment.

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/squsqutdg20050713_-8_DS+is.png

[FONT COLOR="#006600"]Come get wild and wooly with us!
http://s14.invisionfree.com/BBB_Knitters/index.php?act=idx[FONT]