PDA

View Full Version : OT: question about kitchen sink drains

Babywhite
04-22-2006, 12:55 PM
We live in a rural area, so we have a well and septic. My DD is always complaining that he thinks too many food scrapes are going down the drain. I try very hard, but maybe there is more that I could be doing???

I scrape the leftovers in the trash,but often there is still stuff stuck in parts of a bowl or something. I fix the sink's drain to catch it, but often stuff gets on the rim of the drain and when I pick it up to empty it into the trash, the little bits go down the drain.

Anyone have any great ideas... :)

TIA

R.W.

bostonsmama
04-22-2006, 01:20 PM
BB&B sells these mesh screens that fit right over your drain. You could afix one of these on top of the strainer that's already there.

I know our beach house has a septic system with the most awful, narrow plumbing from the 80s (Qwest), and we rent it out in the summers. We don't have a disposal, and I am almost certain renters beat that sink to Hades and don't care about what goes down there...and in almost 20 years of renting, we've never had a problem with our septic system (hurricanes and all). So, take that for what it's worth. I know overflows and bad things can happen, but perhaps you'd like to tell your DH that if he's so unhappy with how much food is going down that perhaps he can take over doing the dishes!}(

Larissa

We're doing it! IVF orientation & consult scheduled for May 2nd!
Saline Sonogram--May 5th

Proud Aunt to Jack Dorian, born to my brother and SIL on 3/06
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32719.jpg

tarabenet
04-22-2006, 08:52 PM
Just keep doing what you are doing. Scrape as well as you possibly can, catch the bulk of whatever slips past the scraping before it goes down the drain. As long as your are conscientious about it, all should be fine. My family's place is on septic, and I know I've seen those little bits slip by in my mom's sink. I imagine that my grandmother let even more go down the drain at her house, since her eyesight was so bad. That septic system (serves both houses) has been in use for more than 20 years, and never had a problem. They've even had someone out to service it and were told that it didn't need any work, it was doing just fine.