PDA

View Full Version : Hot water on demand?

Rachels
04-23-2006, 03:27 PM
We're going to need a new water heater, and I keep hearing about the thing that gives you hot water on demand. Is that just for sinks and such, or is there a system for a whole house?

-Rachel
Mama to Abigail Rose
5/18/02
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif
Nursed for three years!

and Ethan James
10/19/05
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/bf.jpg

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya

Katia
04-23-2006, 03:37 PM
Try a Google search for "tankless water heater" and you'll find lots of info. We don't have one (yet!) but they sound great. It should work for the whole house. They take up very little space and are energy efficient, but a major disadvantage is that they are quite expensive. Keep us posted if you get one -- I'd like to hear about some real-life experiences!

Katia
DS 2003

wendmatt
04-23-2006, 03:46 PM
My Sister has one in her home and it seems to work really well. We all stayed with her, so 5 adults all showering and there was plenty of hot water. That is in the UK though so I don't know how different systems would be over here. She has one in her last house too.

schums
04-23-2006, 04:32 PM
We're looking into them too (preliminary stages), but DH is VERY interested. He works for a company that makes them, so they are really promoting the benefits of them. The up side is that you always have hot water (no waiting for the hot water heater to refill and heat the water) and they are more energy efficient. The down side is that some (all?) of the ones sold in the States are limited. For example, DH's company sells one that only provides hot water to one application at a time. So you could be taking a shower OR washing the clothes OR running the dishwasher. A more expensive model lets you have hot water to 2 applications at the same time. Also, I think they are more expensive that regular hot water heaters, but depending on the energy savings, this could be paid back quickly.

HTH,
Sarah
Mom to Alex (3/2002) and Catherine (8/2003)

JBaxter
04-23-2006, 04:41 PM
We just looked into one and decided to go with a 75 gal gas water heater the prev owners had a 40gallon heater.. We havent had a problem with running out and we have 2 adults 1 marathon showering teen a pre teen ( ok he speed showers) and a toddler with all the dishes and dirty clothing that comes with us.
Oh the big reason $1500 vs 500.

cbm
04-23-2006, 08:00 PM
Hi Rachel,

you are talking about a tankless water heater. We have had one for a few years and so far we have no complains. In our house the "regular" water heater had been installed in the attic. After it broke and flooded the guest room, we decided to go with the tankless water heater. It takes up less space and there shouldn't be any problems with flooding.

Claudia
DS 12/18/04

divabell
04-23-2006, 08:49 PM
We have the tankless water heater in our house. I can't speak to the expense of installing since it was already in the house when we moved in. We would agree w/ the PP who talked about hot water only going to one application at a time - if someone is in the shower and we turn on hot water elsewhere, it definitely gets chilly.

tarynsmum
04-24-2006, 01:30 PM
My neighbors got their tankless water heater about a year or so ago and so far they really like it. They havn't had any complaints about water pressure or cooling (except in an instance of hot water laundry, but that's probably going to happen regardless).

Sorry I don't have any personal experience, but thought I'd chime in :)

BillK
04-24-2006, 01:31 PM
I have a Bosch tankless water heater in my garage. Thank God it's just in the garage and not a whole house system. We have a 30 x 36 detached garage with a utility tub and seperate hose outlet for washing the cars (my friends refer to it as the "garage mahal' ;) ) - the hot water to the hose on the opposite side of the garage from the Bosch is lukewarm at best by the time it gets to the hose nozzle.

It is "OK" at best in the garage - I can't speak for a giant "whole house" system but based on the performance of my Bosch I'd not want one in my house as my only source of hot water.