PDA

View Full Version : Update: Need good thoughts and advice

the mommy
04-23-2006, 03:46 PM
ETA: I heard from my Mom and my Uncle did have the surgery and it doing well so far. Thanks for your thoughts and ideas. I found out they are renting an apartment in the area so I think maybe money (gift card) and a portable DVD player may be what we send.

Hi- I lurk a lot and post when I can and I could use some good thoughts and energy for my Uncle. I just got word that they have a donor for him and he is hopefully about to have a lung transplant. I am happy and scared and could use some good thoughts for him.

We live on the opposite coast from my family so it is tough to know what to do for them. The hospital is three hours from their home so it will be really tough on them during and after the surgery. I would love any advice you might have as to what I can do to help out my Aunt and her family while they are at the hospital. I am sure money will be tight and I don't even know where she will stay while he is in the hospital recovering. If you have any experience with this kind of hospital stay and know what might really be helpful/practical at a time like this I would appreciate your thoughts and advice.

Thanks in advance -

Heather
dd 1/04

ribbit1019
04-23-2006, 06:10 PM
What a happy and scary time for your family!

I don't have expreince directly but the one thing that immediately came to mind is food. Prepared meals would be helpful, you could check and see if Dream Dinners or something similar is around, some of the companies will prepare the food and deliver it. This would be especially helpful if they have children.

I wish your uncle a speedy recovery.

Christy
My Waterbabies
Maddy born 6/9/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
&
Jarred born 3/8/06, 11 lb 14.5 oz 24" @ 6 wks, a happily breastfed babe.
http://b1.lilypie.com/KH1pm5/.png
Co-Owner Ribbit Baby

crl
04-23-2006, 07:03 PM
Good luck to your uncle and family. My father had a liver transplant over 16 years ago and recovered quickly and is still doing well. I wish the same for your uncle.

My mom stayed in hospital provided housing (think SMALL apartment) and when they released him from the hospital but had to stay in the area for a few more weeks he stayed there too. (My brother was out of college and working and I was in college at the time so there were no kids at home.)

I think food delivery is a good idea. I also think books and/or magazines would come in very handy as there is a lot, a lot, a lot of just waiting around. Maybe crossword puzzles if your aunt or uncle does them. Board games, card games might be handy too. If they have access to a DVD player, DVDs. Some "luxury" toiletries might come in handy. . . . Your Uncle might find some comfortable PJs and/or a couple of robes useful, if the hospital will let him wear his own. If they don't already have a cell phone, maybe one of those prepaid phones to let them make calls to family and friends. Or calling cards. . . . My dad lost a lot of weight (he was overweight) after the transplant; your uncle might need some new comfortable clothes for his recuperation. Maybe a gift card for Target or other store near the hospital.

HTH,

mommyoftwo
04-24-2006, 11:08 AM
Heather,

I'm so glad to hear that your uncle is doing well. I sincerely hope that he heals quickly and that the transplant will give him a new lease on life.