PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: Yes, I should I be worried...

Mamma2004
04-24-2006, 12:50 PM
ETA: Well, after wondering whether DS might be teething or just feeling a little under the weather...he vomited for the first time! I know it happens but I am just so sad for him. He's hardly eaten in four days and just when he had finally requested food (pasta), it didn't stay down but five minutes.

I know I have to be careful not to let him get dehydrated. Aside from water or broth, is there anything I should attempt to give him? Sorry for my ignorance but with all the health issues we've had, this one is a first!

Thanks everyone,
Stephanie (aka worried Mamma)

DS is 23 months today and is typically a VERY good eater. Since Thursday evening, though, he has been extraordinarily difficult to coerce into eating even three bites of lunch, dinner or a snack. He did have a fever for one day but that's gone; he will now eat a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast but even that seems like nothing since he usually asks for seconds and even THIRDS! He is still taking both milk and water so that's something.

He just doesn't look right - not terribly ill or anything but he looks SO tired (despite a good 12 hours at night plus his nap) and has been really cranky (off and on). Again, this might by typical toddler behavior but I don't know.

I did call the nurse at our ped's office but I was hoping to hear from BTDT moms. Shall I assume he is battling a virus and just doesn't feel like eating? Could it be something more serious? Should I try feeding him anything in particular??? He usually loves pasta, avocado, yogurt, sweet potatoes, meat...and he just isn't interested.

TIA for any wisdom you care to share!
Stephanie

kristenk
04-24-2006, 01:13 PM
It sort of sounds like his teeth could be bothering him. What do you think about that theory? (I'll come back and post more, but it's almost nap time around here.)

holliam
04-24-2006, 01:17 PM
Has he gotten his two-year old molars yet?

Holli

proggoddess
04-24-2006, 01:20 PM
I agree, it's probably his teeth, or leftover decreased appetite from his fever. It usually takes DD a good 3 days to recover her appetite from a cold/flu.

This past week, DD bit her tongue (twice!) on a new tooth that came out last month. She didn't eat much of anything, not even her favorites. She only liked yogurt, ice cream, and basically just drank juice and milk the whole day.

Advil really helped her, and we let her sleep with her paci, which she hasn't really needed in a long time. But it kept her from waking up constantly at night.

annasmom
04-24-2006, 05:21 PM
You can try some pedialyte. Honestly, I would get him in to see the pediatrician first thing in the morning. It sounds like this is dragging on for a little long. It cannot hurt.

rlu
04-24-2006, 05:21 PM
You might try the pedialyte pops - my DS wouldn't eat it frozen or as a liquid (we even put the liquid in jello before refridgerating) but when I got whatever the heck it was he had, they were the only thing I could keep down for two days.

Rebecca

DS 03/29/04

Mamma2004
04-24-2006, 07:20 PM
I'll definitely have to get some pedialyte (including pops) tomorrow. Poor DS climbed the stairs at 6:30, asked for his lovey, got into his PJs, had two sips of water and passed out by 6:40. I just pray he sleeps well and feels better tomorrow.

Thanks for your support, everyone!
Stephanie

Melanie
04-24-2006, 07:26 PM
What about smart water? I believe it has electrolytes in it.

annasmom
04-24-2006, 07:28 PM
Poor guy!! I hope he feels better. It is so tough seeing your dc like that. YOU should try to get some sleep too!

Mamma2004
04-24-2006, 07:31 PM
I have never heard of smart water - where shall I look?

Yes, Mammas should try to sleep whenever possible, especially when our DCs are likely to wake during the night!

Thanks again,

Stephanie

R2sweetboys
04-24-2006, 08:47 PM
What a bummer Stephanie! I know we've had some bad stomach viruses going around here that last a while. Fortunately, I've never dealt with dehydration when my boys have been sick. My good friend's son though was recently hospitalized(just overnight for fluids) after a bad stretch with one of these viruses. I wouldn't worry too much but just keep a good eye on how often he wets his diapers,if he cries tears,etc. My ped. actually said that flat soda or the like tends to stay down better than water.(and he's all about kids drinking little juice,lots of water,etc. normally but this is a special circumstance) He recommended very small amounts at set intervals to try to hydrate him without upsetting his stomach too much. I remember DS1(when he was really sick a few years ago)wanting to drink like crazy between vomitting b/c he was so thirsty and felt a little better but he couldn't keep it down that way.

There's nothing worse than when your child is sick and you can't make it better. :( I really hope your poor little guy is feeling better very soon! Take care,

~Leslie

SAHM to...
Ryan 8/14/00
Matthew 2/14/03

Mamma2004
04-25-2006, 08:39 AM
Thanks, Leslie!

DS slept from 6:40 p.m. (!) until after 7am. He had some water and kept asking for milk but I didn't give it to him. He also asked for oatmeal but I wasn't sure how quickly to offer food. He was horribly clingy and it wasn't hard to convince him to go back to bed.

DS has now been napping for over an hour so he is clearly still sick.

Is there anything I can give him for a little energy? I tried diluted apple juice (per the ped's office) but he made a face and asked for water. I'm glad he'll drink the water but I am also afraid it will just slosh around in his empty belly.

Thanks for putting up with me, everyone - it's just so horrible when they're sick!

Stephanie