PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas for new children's dvds

almostamom
04-24-2006, 02:51 PM
We've got a big road trip coming up this summer and will be using the dvd player in the van to get us through it! DS doesn't watch a whole lot of tv/videos/dvds. He tends to really only like shows with children and lots of singing. We have the Disney Sing-Along ones - these are his absolute favorites. We have one Wee Sing and a few Wiggles DVDs already. He does not watch any cartoons or animation. Any ideas, suggestions?

~Linda~
DS 11/9/04

deenass
04-24-2006, 05:18 PM
Signing Times would fit the kids/singing bill. Even if you aren't interested in him learning signs, they are worth watching.

Twin Mom
04-24-2006, 09:10 PM
One of my kids favorites is The Wheels on the Bus. You can see a preview of the video at www.thewheelsonthebusvideo.com. I borrow it from the library but they have it at www.amazon.com and www.bn.com if you want to buy it. My library only has the first one but they've seen video clips from the 2nd one on the website and they already know the words to a bunch of the songs. Even though they are older than your DS, my FIL started getting this video a while ago and they have loved it from the start (it is actually recommended for ages 1+). My DC even enjoy watching the making of the video feature on the DVD.

HTH.

trumansmom
04-24-2006, 09:35 PM
What about Baby Einstein? The music is nice, so it won't drive you batty in the front seat. :)

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

jeminaal
04-24-2006, 10:01 PM
We're fans of Hap Palmer's "Baby Songs" series:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/103-9450291-3819853?%5Fencoding=UTF8&dym=0&search-type=ss&index=dvd&field-keywords=hap%20palmer&page=1

We don't have the most current ones, but my kids enjoy watching his "Baby's Busy Day", "Original" and "ABCs, 123s, Colors and Shapes" DVDs.

Right now, though, the kids are REALLY into Laurie Berkner's DVD. We bought it at Target the other day and they really love watching it:

http://stores.musictoday.com/store/dept.asp?band_id=318&dept_id=751&sfid=2

Edited to add: Laurie Berkner's DVD is #1 this week on the Billboard Charts for Top Music Video. Amazing...
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/charts/chart_display.jsp?g=Videos&f=Top+Music+Video

Jeanette
(formerly known as jeanmick, member since Feb 2003)

DD Born Christmas Eve
DS Born Valentine's Day

Kungjo
04-24-2006, 10:35 PM
KidSongs is great. DD #1 loves it. It's a whole bunch of kids singing and dancing. You can get it at Best Buy.

lisa56308
04-24-2006, 10:45 PM
I second the Laurie Berkner DVD. Tyler loves it and is constantly asking for the "dinosaur marching" dvd. The music does start to drive you a little nutty after awhile.
Lisa
Jacob 6/95
Tyler 10/03

Jen841
04-25-2006, 08:24 AM
Ralph's World DVD we enjoy/wore out! Need to get another. Not annoying to adults. Definately a low budget DVD, but very entertaining for adults and children (you won't be watching the mile markers as this one plays.)

Jude LOVES the Little Einsteins and is getting into Hi-Five (sp?) For a trip I would consider those too. He watches little TV, but loves these when he is treated to watching TV.

Baby Einstein Neighborhood Animals and so other animal one entertains him to this day.

almostamom
04-25-2006, 11:21 PM
Thanks for the ideas, everyone. I picked up a few of them at the library today. We've already watched The Signing Times - or rather *I* watched it while DS ran around like a loon. New plan: put it on in the van when we drive to grandma's house - nothing like a captive audience, eh? I've never heard of a lot of the ones you all suggested. I'm looking forward to something new (a girl can only listen to the "Wee Sing Train" so many times!)

~Linda~
DS 11/9/04