PDA

View Full Version : How much fish do you get for your family?

jamsmu
04-24-2006, 08:37 PM
A pound? 2? I never know what to order--usually I say "enough for 2 adults and a preschooler." But I'm ordering online tonight and I want to include salmon... so... how much?

bostonsmama
04-24-2006, 09:34 PM
At the store, I usually get one to two filets (not steaks, which have bones). A typical filet can weigh anything btwn 1 and 2.5 lbs (or more), but I like two 1.5 lb filets. An adult serving of fish is about 4 oz, or the size of a deck of cards, so if you're feeding your family, try to order the right amount for a meal or two.

Salmon does freeze well...so you can store about 7 lbs in the freezer for up to 4 months and expect to use it within that amount of time.

Larissa

We're doing it! IVF orientation & consult scheduled for May 2nd!
Saline Sonogram--May 5th

Proud Aunt to Jack Dorian, born to my brother and SIL on 3/06
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32719.jpg

squimp
04-24-2006, 11:00 PM
We usually get a half pound per person for salmon. Depending on how much your preschooler eats, I'd get between 1.25 and 1.5 lbs of salmon. I'm a light salmon eater, so we usually tell them to cut us a piece between 1 and 1.25 lbs, and it's plenty for DH, DD and ME. Yum!

sadie427
04-24-2006, 11:46 PM
3/4 of a pound to a pound for two adults and a toddler who doesn't eat much fish.

jamsmu
04-25-2006, 07:01 AM
That's what I ended up ordering. You could get them in .75 increments, so I figured I'd try it this time.

cbm
04-25-2006, 08:43 AM
Where did you get it online? And where you happy with it?
We eat fish often although we don't live close to the ocean. It would be nice to shop somewhere other than the grocery store and have it delivered.
Thank you.

Claudia.
DS 12/18/04

kijip
04-25-2006, 10:17 AM
>Salmon does freeze well...so you can store about 7 lbs in the
>freezer for up to 4 months and expect to use it within that
>amount of time.

Or, if your son is a *salmon goblin* like mine you can expect to use 7 pounds in 4 weeks. All depends on how much you like fish. I prefer fresh if I can get it (good thing I live in Seattle) and I would buy 12 ounces for 2 adults and 1 toddler. But if I can afford it, I buy that a couple times a week...