PDA

View Full Version : DS injured at DC - would you pull him out?

firstbaby
04-25-2006, 10:40 AM
DS's baby sitter just called to let me know that he got three of his little fingers pinched in the hinge side of a door and his fingers are swollen. DH is headed there right now to pick him up, assess how bad it is and take him to ped. or ER. I totally understand that these things happen and overall he's been scratch free there. HOWEVER, what upsets me is what was going on WHEN it happened. Baby sitter has her + two other helpers. I think they have more help than the state requires but that is part of why we like it there. So, one of the helpers was cleaning the house and the other one was mowing the lawn. She was taking the diapers out and the kids were with her - WTF??? I know my knee jerk reaction is to take him out because I am upset. What would you do???

trumansmom
04-25-2006, 10:50 AM
I would give it a day or so, and then make a decision. Guage your DCP's reaction to this. This may be a wake up call for her. However, if you feel even a tiny bit uncomfortable, trust your gut. Mommy's instinct is usually pretty reliable.

Hope DS is okay!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

megs4413
04-25-2006, 10:52 AM
How are the helpers "helping" if they're outside mowing the lawn???? That makes no sense. That's not a helper. It's a gardener. Couldn't the helper who was cleaning the house have taken out the diapers as well?

A finger pinching doesn't seem like a big deal (that can happen with me at home with DD), but what bothers me is what else was going on. I agree with you that is the part that is hard to swallow. I would ask if it is normal for her and her helpers to go about other activities instead of watching/interacting with the children. How many children is she watching? I think you have every right to be upset.

Piglet
04-25-2006, 11:47 AM
I would be upset, but I also know that accidents happen no matter how many people are watching the kids. My DS1 slammed his fingers in the door right by the hinge and DH and I were the ones letting him into the house at the time. We had no one to blame but ourselves (and DS's curiousity). It was an accident. I would see what DCPs response to this incident is, and then have a chat with her about what the roles of the helpers are. I know that the house needs to get cleaned when DS2 is at his dayhome, and I know that DCP cleans while he is there, but she tries to do it during nap time. Could the helpers mow the lawn at another time? I would not pull my child out of daycare over something like this on its own. It is hard to adjust to new places and if you have no other problems with the DC, then don't make it harder on your DS by moving him around. A talk with the DCP should provide you with the answers you are looking for, and if she seems non-plussed by the whole thing, then you can start reconsidering, but I would give her a chance to respond first.

jesseandgrace
04-25-2006, 12:47 PM
How many kids are there with her, sorry if I missed that. I guess if there are 5 kids or fewer then just her is ok, but with more kids someone else needs to be there and not outside mowing the lawn. But, if you like the place I would not let one injury unless serious stop you from using her, it sounds like she was really open about what happened, and that is what you want!

mamato1
04-25-2006, 01:23 PM
Well, how easy is it to find care on your area? It is really hard to find good care where I live and I would be more inclined to have a "sit-down" with your current provider to see if you can come to an understanding. However, if good care is easy to come by, I might start to put out some feelers and see what other options are out there.
Chris

Mama to Brendan (aka Boomer) 01/04

http://b3.lilypie.com/FnI6m5/.png