PDA

View Full Version : OT: Meditation, Yoga & Acupuncture-Need Help

bostonsmama
04-25-2006, 10:00 PM
I NEED HELP. I'm looking for meditation tapes, a relaxation yoga DVD, and a place to get acupuncture in DC. Any recs?

We're just a few short days away from our IVF consult and I'm trying to get my ducks in a row. I've been doing a lot of reading on relaxation techniques and how they can help improve chances of pregnancy. I'm going to be over 200 miles away from home during the treatment cycle this July, so I'd like to bring some "portable" relaxation tools with me.

1) I'm looking for a good meditation tape (or CD) that will help me relax & refocus during our treatment cycle (kind of along the lines of Hypnobirthing). If anyone has any recommendations, please feel free to share.

2) I'd like a guided relaxation yoga video I can play on my laptop at the hotel. I have a "Yoga for Weightloss" DVD that has some nice poses, but being as that I'll be on modified bedrest with an order for no exercise, I'd like a video geared towards gentle poses, deep breathing, meditation and gentle stretching.

3) If anyone knows of a practice in the Washington DC area that does acupuncture/Western Medicine, I'd love to hear about it. I've looked at gancao.net for AAOM and ASDC practices, but there seem to be a million of them...and it's hard to know which ones have a good reputation. (The closer to Georgia Ave, the better.)

Any help is appreciated. :)

Larissa

We're doing it! IVF orientation & consult scheduled for May 2nd!
Saline Sonogram--May 5th

Proud Aunt to Jack Dorian, born to my brother and SIL on 3/06
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32719.jpg

mudder17
04-25-2006, 10:05 PM
Larissa, e-mail me!

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_-6_Kaya+is.png
Kaya will be a sister, ~11/14/06!

brittone2
04-25-2006, 10:51 PM
Have you heard of or looked into the Mind Body Connection? My friend went through 8 IVFs and was at Brigham in Boston, which is a top notch facility for IVF. Her RE actually recommended the program to her.

I've seen the book in stores, but I am not sure if there are CDs or local seminars. My friend did the actual seminars (which ran once a week or so for several weeks) in the Boston area.

I've also heard great things about acupuncture but don't know of anyone in the DC area. I think it is an awesome adjunct to IVF though :)

I'm thinking of you Larissa and am very excited for you as you take the next few big steps in your life :)

ETA: This of course caught my attention because I'm a PT, but INCIID (they still send me their magazine) had an article months ago about physical therapy for infertility issues. I know nothing about it, but I think it worked to improve bloodflow, etc. to the uterus. It might also be something to consider, although there are probably very few PTs that concentrate on that specific area. THe initial article from INCIID was very favorable.

bostonsmama
04-25-2006, 11:30 PM
Yes, I have also read about PT helping out w/ infertility issues...particularly with endometriosis and massage...which they think can actually help break up scar tissue and prevent adhesions by getting extra blood flow to the area and removing...something like proteins built up in muscle which can inhibit something...but anyways, yes, I've read a little about this. It would just be hard to tell them what to do since I'm not very sure what it entails anyways...plus I'd hate to mess something up.

Anyways, I'll look into the MBC book. My library has an extended loan program and they said they'd order anything for me if I give them enough time. (Gotta love my ladies at the library!)

Oh, and I emailed you.

Larissa

We're doing it! IVF orientation & consult scheduled for May 2nd!
Saline Sonogram--May 5th

Proud Aunt to Jack Dorian, born to my brother and SIL on 3/06
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32719.jpg

SeekerMage
04-25-2006, 11:43 PM
I dont have much help for the aformentioned things, but wanted to add along with the acupunture you should look into reflexology. It took us over two years to get pregnant with DD and we finally tried reflexology per one of hubbys students....we were pregnant - pretty much without trying - within a month of my first treatment. There are different pressure points in the feet and you will be totally able to tell where your problem areas are...hurts like a son of a gun...and beleive it or not it had to be accurate...mine was my uterus and basic baby making parts....dh was all about the back and stomach, which is totally him! Just something else to look into...it kinda hurts and is kinda relaxing all at the same time. I was told by our reflexologist that most people are pregnant within three months of treatments...with a pretty much 100% success rate...not sure how true it is, but our reflexologist had 3 successes not including us and hadnt been praticign for long. Just wanted to send ya another option...as well as lots of sticky baby vibes :)