PDA

View Full Version : Moving in summer and preschool enrollment

cmyk
04-26-2006, 09:58 AM
I don't post much, but I'm hoping some mommas may have some BTDT insight.

My 3 1/2 yr DD goes to a 5-day Montessori preschool. She thrives in a preschool setting. I remember reading a post here recently that sums up our experience perfectly: basically, I could be the best caregiver for her but that wouldn't matter, she just *needs* preschool and the social interaction. Even with lots of activities and outings, she can get bored very quickly and the mood turns bad.

We are moving out of state this summer, location to be determined. It could be any number of places, too many to start contacting schools. Hopefully we'll know by June. By that time all preschools have already completed their fall enrollment, and accept on a space-available basis. I'm beginning to stress about finding a preschool for DD that we're happy with. I'd really like her to continue w/ Montessori, but that's not absolutely essential.

Anyone else have this experience? How did it work out?

If you're still with me, thanks for reading!

Shelley

annasmom
04-26-2006, 10:20 AM
Well, I think it depends on where you are moving honestly. Around us, there are a lot of good options, including maybe 4-5 Montessori schools. There is some competition to get into some preschool programs (like ours because it is good & inexpensive), but our area is also pretty transient. For instance, I have been told by the director of the preschool in which I have enrolled my dd that I will probably get a spot in the 3-day a week program by the end of the Summer, instead of the 2-day a week spot she has now because so many people change their minds or move away.

There is no use stressing about it now, moving is stressful enough!! I am sure it will work out for you. Best of luck!

elliput
04-26-2006, 11:50 AM
I have no experience with this, but I would think that some pre-schools would have a reserved spot or two for just this type of senario as many people move during the summer months.

elliput
04-26-2006, 11:50 AM
I have no experience with this, but I would think that some pre-schools would have a reserved spot or two for just this type of senario as many people move during the summer months.

shishamo
04-26-2006, 12:03 PM
Hmmm, it would be hard to find a preschool without knowing where you are going. We moved two years ago in June (I had 4.5 and 2 year olds at that time) and I called a tons of preschools in March, visited them in April and reserved some spots.

Around here, good preschools fill up by May/June/July with a waiting list, so I would say as soon as you know where you are going get a phonebook and start calling. I knew what I wanted, so by just asking a few questions eliminated quite a few. People change their minds and/or get into their first choice and move on, so you have a decent chance of getting a spot.

If you are looking for Montessori schools, they differ greatly in quality (since it is not regulated: essentially any preschool can claim they are Montessori schools): you probably already know this, but just in case. I looked at 4 different Montessoris and they are all very different from each other

Good luck!

shishamo
04-26-2006, 12:03 PM
Hmmm, it would be hard to find a preschool without knowing where you are going. We moved two years ago in June (I had 4.5 and 2 year olds at that time) and I called a tons of preschools in March, visited them in April and reserved some spots.

Around here, good preschools fill up by May/June/July with a waiting list, so I would say as soon as you know where you are going get a phonebook and start calling. I knew what I wanted, so by just asking a few questions eliminated quite a few. People change their minds and/or get into their first choice and move on, so you have a decent chance of getting a spot.

If you are looking for Montessori schools, they differ greatly in quality (since it is not regulated: essentially any preschool can claim they are Montessori schools): you probably already know this, but just in case. I looked at 4 different Montessoris and they are all very different from each other

Good luck!

JBaxter
04-26-2006, 12:09 PM
I didnt move but around here all the preschools are full for the 2007 school year w/ waiting lists. I would look asap when you know where you will be.

JBaxter
04-26-2006, 12:09 PM
I didnt move but around here all the preschools are full for the 2007 school year w/ waiting lists. I would look asap when you know where you will be.

KCR4
04-26-2006, 08:54 PM
Don't worry if everything is full for the start of school in August. Just make it clear you will jump into an open spot any random week it happens! We started DS #1 (now 4.5 yrs) last August in our church preschool, then realized it was a mistake (too few hours, not a good match for him in terms of ability/interest in the subject matter and teaching method). An excellent, small, traditional (yet loving/gentle) Montessori school nearby had an immediate opening the second week of November - five days a week, like yours. We switched quickly; they said if we wanted to wait til the start of the new semester in January, there would be a waiting list! Our son has done SO well! So, my advice - be super flexible and stay on your toes if you don't get a start-of-school-year placement. Also, I totally stressed about the disruption of DS starting in mid-November - the abrupt switch - all of it. However, he did fine, really so much better than I would have imagined. Good luck!
Karen

kransden
04-27-2006, 02:39 PM
I am going through this myself. Except I know where I am moving. I started with the NAEYC accreditation. http://www.naeyc.org/

I also agree with pp to let the center know you'll put DC in at a moment's notice. Calling the center occasionally doesn't hurt either. That's how I got dd in where she currently is.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02