PDA

View Full Version : Warning: a different trick in Phishing targeted at Paypal users

boys2enough
04-26-2006, 11:00 AM
Just thought I should share this: I just received an e-mail seemingly from Paypal. It said, "Your payment to so-and-so company has been sent." The amount was $300. Not too large to be unbelievable, yet large enough that I was in a panic, thinking someone may have hacked into my PP account. My first reaction was to click on the bottom of the page where there was a button for "Dispute payment."

Luckily I didn't. I assume that once I click on the button, it would ask me for my ID and my password to "log in."

I receive phishing emails targeting eBay, Citi Card, and PayPal regularly, but this is something new (for me). Thought I should bring this to people's attention.

After I checked my paypal account and saw no such transaction, I noticed the two telltale signs: it addresses me as "Dear PayPal member" instead of my name, and the text itself is a GIF "picture file," not html text. (Attached here)

HTH.

kellyotn
04-26-2006, 11:05 AM
They are tricky jerks. I always just remember to never, ever click a link from an email. If I'm worried, go directly to the internet site (typing it in myself, not copying their link) and check my account there.

In my email program, if you hover the mouse over the phish link you can usually tell its phony because the site info is displayed and its never www.paypal.com or whatever.