PDA

View Full Version : Moms of 2+, what would you buy for a new baby?

annasmom
04-26-2006, 01:27 PM
So, I have mostly everything I need except for a new infant car seat. But it is no fun to buy nothing new for a new baby! I don't even need any new clothes for the baby, because I already have a boy! Also, I have some time on my hands now that I am back on bedrest. So why not do some on-line shopping!

Maybe there is a new and updated version of something that you have had your eye on, or something that you never got around to getting for your other dc. So, if you had the essentials, but were to buy something for your newest addition, what would it be??

TaChapm
04-26-2006, 01:53 PM
With Tyler I went out and bought a new High Chair (Hated our old one). I also bought a Fisher Price Papasan Cradle Swing. It was so worth every penny!!! I did buy him new bedding since Jackson's nursery was meant to take him to college (hunting and fishing outdoor theme). We of course bought a new Marathon for Tyler and a double stroller.

With this baby I am having to do another nursery and buy GIRL clothes. (It's killing me :) ) Other than that we had to buy a new infant carseat because I sold our other one a day before I found out I was pregnant and another Marathon. Other items would be a new diaper bag, perhaps a new sling or Baby Bjorn. Basic items like fresh burp cloths, new nail clippers, bottle nipples, pacafiers.
There are also some new bouncy seats that look really cool but ours are in perfect condition so I really can't justify that.

Have fun shopping! I hope bedrest is treating you good. Everyone thinks it is so easy and would be so nice but after a few days it gets really old. I hope everything is working out for you!

Tara
Mommy to Jackson 11-10-02
Tyler William 6-9-05
OMG!!! It's a GIRL!! Due September 5, 2006!

http://b4.lilypie.com/gzWfm8.png

http://b1.lilypie.com/kLMem8.png

http://bd.lilypie.com/UEZ3m8.png

janeybwild
04-26-2006, 01:55 PM
Dana got almost nothing "special" as gifts, so I really cherished anything personalized at all for her. Pre-birth, I bought some keepsakes for her room including a lovely wall frame from Pottery Barn Kids. The one new thing I got gear wise was a couple of slings that were a life saver for carrying her while chasing after a toddler.
How's the bed rest going? Can't imagine how hard that is with 2 at home. How much longer are you down for the count? If it were me, I would be firing up those on-line orders too :)

divabell
04-26-2006, 02:19 PM
Well, we are having a girl so I did have some stuff to buy... clothes and nursery stuff. If this baby were another boy I still would have bought some clothes since they will be opposite seasons. Otherwise we didn't get too much - a new baby monitor since DS still uses one, and a double stroller. And eventually I'm sure we'll be getting DS a bigger car seat. Honestly, DS got the big purchases - a new bed and dresser.

I wouldn't mind a new high chair, car seat, etc., just to start fresh with the new baby, but that just doesn't make financial sense, KWIM?

Good luck with the bedrest and have fun shopping!

Momof3Labs
04-26-2006, 03:04 PM
New nursing bras (hated my old ones, and they were so ratty after 19 months of nursing), some new blankets, new cloth dipes and covers in smaller sizes, some new clothes (mostly from consignment stores, since the boys were born in different seasons), new bottle nipples, new pacifiers (which he won't take). Hmm, a few new crib sheets, a baby book/calendar, a new photo album, personalized blanket, new pumping kit for PIS (well, hospital gave it to me). I also made a few blankets just for Logan so he'd have something special. And wanted new burp cloths, but that is going more slowly than planned. Oh, some new bibs too - Carter's has some that are waterproof that are $$$ but nice. I got him some new Robeez, too, and a few Miracle Blankets (that are already outgrown). New bouncy seat (I had sold DS1's), and borrowed a cradle swing from a friend.

Some changes to my stroller stable, too, but won't go into too much detail there.

I'll come back if I can think of more!

hautemama15
04-26-2006, 03:25 PM
well, double stroller was a must, and a new car seat. clothing since #2 was a boy and #1 was a girl. New bedding also, and a new crib since #1 was still using hers.

Of course with #3, I had nothing from when the first 2 were babies and everything has changed since then anyway. I needed everything!!

cchavez
04-26-2006, 03:52 PM
miracle blankets, bebepod (like bumbo seat) and GIRL clothes.....

jerseygirl07067
04-26-2006, 10:21 PM
Eileen,

Congratulations! You are soon going to be an even busier mama!

I wound up buying a bouncy seat (didn't buy one for Sammy), and double stroller, and eventually a second convertible seat. I think because I really didn't have much else to buy, I was checking out diaper bags a lot, since it was something for me too, LOL. Funny after all the sites and bags I looked at, bought, returned, etc. I wound up using a Chester backpack. Nothing fancy, plain black with a blue stripe down the middle. It's what I still use now too.

Marcy

dhano923
04-27-2006, 02:31 AM
We didn't buy any new toys, books, etc. I did get a couple outfits since #2 was a girl and #1 as a boy, but we used all his old onesies, undershirts, towels, etc. We didn't get a new infant carrier since we still had the Snugride from DS.

I did buy a new FP Space Saver booster seat (hated our old seat, and DS uses it most of the time), a Bebepod seat, I made a pink and chocolate blanket for the baby, and then we got a double stroller (Valco Twin). I also just got a Bumbleride Flyer stroller too. DD got so many clothes for gifts that I have enough clothes for her until she is wearing 18 months size!

BellaGirl
04-27-2006, 08:23 AM
Well, I'm in the same boat as you...expecting my second and wondering what to buy new. On my list:

-new bottles - We used disposables with our fist child and I don't think it saved us any time, trouble, or were any more sanitary/sterilized.
-a kinderzeat - the new trip trapp is good for infants 6mo+. With first child, we used a booster seat and never bothered to get a high chair...so I plan to change that this time around.
-a pretty diaper bag - Our first was a boy and I also wanted DH to help carry the bag...so we have two skiphops. This time, I want something pretty! DH rarely carries the diaper bag anyhow :)
-2 more ultimate crib sheets - can't live without these!
-hotsling - Never used slings with first child and don't think I'll be able to afford not to use them with the second!
-double stroller
-a stuffed animal from blablakids.com

Have fun shopping!

annasmom
04-27-2006, 08:34 AM
Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I thought I would share what is on my own list so far.

New bottles, nipples, pacifiers
DEFINITELY new nursing bras (I actually threw my old ones away so I would be forced to buy new ones -- SO ugly!)
new infant car seat
Moby wrap
"maybe" a new diaper bag - I really don't "need" one!
some Haba teething toys
Kathe Kruse towel doll
maybe a co-sleeper

I "think" that is it so far. We have 2 double strollers already, and I bought a new fancy diaper bag (that I never really use) and a KKAFP when I was still in the hospital after my ds was born. Hmmm, maybe a personalized blanket or frame.

kep
04-27-2006, 09:00 AM
This is a really fun question!

I really want a hotsling, (well, maybe two, both fleece & cotton), one of those cool Amby beds, the Fisher Price natural looking cradle swing, a new carseat-Chico Keyfit, a double stroller-Jane Powertwin, and we are going to need a new crib, changing table, and glider rocker. (We didn't have the last three things with L, just borrowed them from friends.)

I think that's all for now!

Kelli
Proud Mommy to Lukey (4.2003)

http://lilypie.com/pic/060417/csSG.jpg http://b4.lilypie.com/G0VTm4.png

KBecks
04-27-2006, 09:41 AM
Well, we have some necessities to buy... I've decided to keep Alek in his crib, so we'll be getting a new crib, mattress and sheets.

I purchased a new baby book for baby #2, nothing super special, but something just for him.

I also have looked at cool announcements and baptism invitations
There's always the double stroller if you need one

And a couple cool toys or new outfits that are special for the new one.

Have fun!

CiderLogan
04-27-2006, 01:23 PM
My list is pretty similar to the PPs' although I would add a few things:
gas drops (like Little Tummies), Aquaphor, Desitin, etc.
baby toothcleaner or toothbrush
baby wash and new washcloths

Also, I had DD1 buy a gift for DD2, and vice versa. It was fun to see what DD1 picked out for the new baby.

I am eyeing new diaper bags but haven't settled on one yet. We might buy a new bouncy seat since the one we have has been through three babies now (our own plus her two cousins), and I am afraid it may have lost its bounce by now. Personalized stuff is great -- I've already gotten a few things like this and love them! It's fun to think DD2 has her own special stuff.

Jenny
Mom to Julia, 8/03
...and another GIRL due 5/29/06!

buddyleebaby
04-27-2006, 01:46 PM
Our essentials are another crib and a double stroller, but if we have a little extra money I would like to get some more decoration type stuff.
With dd I hung her quilt on the wall next to a frame with her name and its meaning, as well as her picture, and that was pretty much it.
I'd like to do the same for this baby.
Now, to find another gender-neutral quilt I like.
Also, I was not working when pregnant with dd and was put on bedrest a couple of times, so she has about 5 handmade baby blankets. I'd like to make at least one for the new baby!