PDA

View Full Version : Aack-the dreaded peanut allergy! Please help-send some good vibes

anamika
04-26-2006, 08:26 PM
We're in denial. Seriously, I don't even want to be talking about this but I feel I need to educate myself.
DD had a blood test for food allergies b'cos she has eczema. She's mildly allergic to everything she was tested for except rice. We're vegetarians and she has RTA so I don't think we can cut out wheat, soy, milk, eggs, rye, barley... and still feed her without an IV tube.
But the real shocker was her peanut levels - they were so high that the dermalogist has a prescription for an epipen in the mail to us. We have to go to a class to learn how to administer this.
I can't deal with this. I'm in shock. No one in our family has it so I wasn't expecting this at all. As if the RTA and eczema wasn't enough to give me ulcers. The dentist already told me yesterday that I've ground my teeth so much (probably due to stress) that I'm in danger of losing bone.
but before this gets moved to the bitching post, I did want to ask a few questions.
How accurate are these tests? If her numbers are high does that mean she's definitely allergic or she *might* be allergic or what? The dermatologist said if she had already been exposed to peanuts it may explain the levels and may mean she's not allergic. She also said a low number doesn't mean that the person is not allergic. SO I'm thoroughly confused.
She's never had peanuts but DH and I haven't been super cautious about not touching her after eating peanuts etc and we've fed her other foods from our plates which had some peanut containing foods also - mainly b'cos it's so unheard of in India (and Indian kids?). (Please please don't suggest that this is our fault - I'll have to kill myself)
We have to go meet the allergist - they will try to do a skin test if her skin is clear (of eczema). Is that teh definitive test? Or is it already pretty clear that she has an allergy? I'm hoping and wishing this isn't true. DH thinks they've made a mistake in the test (I wish) so he's no help.
My poor DD - she's such a darling and so uncomplaining with all the blood work and medicines we put her through for RTA and eczema. I just feel awful that she has to maybe deal with this too. Seems so unfair to her.
So if there's even a slight chance that she may not have it....please send me some good vibes. I've heard they're pretty potent on this board.
I can hardly type - I'm so distraught and tearing up.
Okay thanks for reading,

lizamann
04-26-2006, 08:52 PM
(((((Hugs, mama.)))) I don't know too much about this subject, but will be thinking about you.

almostamom
04-26-2006, 09:12 PM
Usha,
First, I can't believe that there could be any way you could have "caused" her to have an allergy. Second, my DS is allergic to nuts as well. However, when he had his blood test, the results came back very similar to your DD's - mildly allergic to just about everything. My doctor told me that the lab conducted the test incorrectly and did not adjust the test for an infant. (I hope that makes sense.) Anyway, we found out that this was the case and, of the foods they tested for, DS is allergic to nuts and chocolate. Please feel free to PM me if there's anything I can do to help. I'm certainly no expert in this area. I'm pretty new at it myself. Hopefully the allergist will be able to give you a better, more clear diagnosis.

Hugs,
~Linda~
DS 11/9/04

kep
04-26-2006, 10:50 PM
Usha,

That is so scary! I am really sorry that you and your family have to go through this. At least take some comfort, that with the amount of new peanut allergies, the information available about it is tremendous. I know there are a lot of other mamas on the boards that have dealt with this in the past. Maybe try doing a search in the lounge? Good luck!

Kelli
Proud Mommy to Lukey (4.2003)

http://lilypie.com/pic/060417/csSG.jpg http://b4.lilypie.com/G0VTm4.png

psophia17
04-26-2006, 11:11 PM
I can't help with advice, but wanted to offer some hugs just the same - any time you need them, I've got some ready.

ribbit1019
04-27-2006, 12:47 AM
I don't have any advice Usha, but I am sending lots of good vibes!!!

Christy
My Waterbabies
Maddy born 6/9/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
&
Jarred born 3/8/06, 11 lb 14.5 oz 24" @ 6 wks, a happily breastfed babe.
http://b1.lilypie.com/KH1pm5/.png
Co-Owner Ribbit Baby

annasmom
04-27-2006, 08:36 AM
Sorry, no experience, just sending you big ((((HUGS))))!!

Hippoharbor
04-27-2006, 09:01 AM
I do not know how to explain the test to you; I just wanted to give you a big momma (HUG)! I know how hard this is for you. My DS is going to the allergist today at 1pm to be tested for peanut allergy. I am terrified and having been asking all of your family/friends to pray for my son that he does not actually have this allergy.
Stay strong for your daughter.

MIchelle

brittone2
04-27-2006, 10:22 AM
Big hugs. I'm so sorry you are going through this :(

I don't think you caused your child's allergies at all. Try not to blame yourself in any way, mama.

I don't know much about food allergies but if you ever visit mothering.com, you might want to check out the Health and Healing forums and look for a thread called "healing the gut." There are some parents that have worked through allergies through probiotics, etc. and it has helped their kids tremendously. I've only looked into it a bit but it might be helpful.

mamato1
04-27-2006, 03:28 PM
Usha,

I am totally with you on this panic as my DS was just diagnosed a few weeks ago. I know this feels like the end of the world right now, but I can tell you after a few short weeks, that this is not the horrible thing I thought it would be. Sure, life has changed , however not in the horrible way I had anticipated. There are several websites that I have found to be helpful: www.peanutallergy.com, www.foodallergy.com, and www.kidswithfoodallergies.com.

As far as your testing goes, I am no expert but here is my understanding. The level on the RAST test (I am assuming that is the blood test that they did)is not necessarily indicative of the severity of the allergy. The websites I mentioned before did help me really understand my test results.

As far as going to a class to learn to use an Epipen, I hope I don't seem rude, but that it ridiculous. You just remove the gray lid, jam it in to your child's thigh and hold it there for ten seconds. then you massage the area for ten seconds and call 911 or go to the closest ER. Call your doctor back and tell him you want a prescription for the 2 pack epipen. It comes with what is called an epipen trainer. It is esentially an epipen without the meds or needle that you can practice with over and over. Make sure you have more than one epipen as they only last 15-20 minutes. Also make sure you have benadryl on hand

Last but not least, you did not do this to your child. there is nothing you could do to cause this and there is nothing you could have done to prevent it. It is jusy a really unfair, crappy thing that has happened to our kids. Please feel free to email me iholiver @ smsd.org (no spaces) with questions or just to chat.

Chris

Mama to Brendan (aka Boomer) 01/04

http://b3.lilypie.com/FnI6m5/.png

anamika
04-27-2006, 06:13 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate all the good vibes and hugs :)
We're going to see the allergist as soon as we get an appt. I didn't get the exact numbers but we were told it was quite high for peanuts.
I think we've sort of resigned ourselves to it. Like the PP said, there's so much awareness now, that I'm sure I can find a lot of resources.
Michelle, hope the visit with the allergist brought good news.
chris, thanks a lot for your very informative post. I was thinking of you a lot all last week and esp since yesterday when I found out about this. I'm not sure what the epipen training is about but I figure it can't hurt. I've never seen one let alone used it. I'll be sure to ask for the two pack (thanks for the tip).
I will write more when I get some news.
Thanks again.

mapg
04-27-2006, 07:25 PM
Start reading labels on skincare products. Some items use peanut oil instead of petroleum bases products. Sunscreens and chap-stick type products are the biggies. Arachis oil is another name for peanut oil, they combine it with other chemicals, so look for "arach" as a prefix. We think that is how my daughter first came into contact with peanuts. Peanuts cause me to break out in hives, so I am pretty cautious about what we eat. But somehow my kid developed an allergy to peanuts. As far as I know, she never had eaten peanut products until the day she got a cookie with some peanut butter in it and had a reaction. Good Luck.
MA

dhano923
04-28-2006, 03:44 AM
You didn't do anything to cause her allergy. It just happens sometimes. And peanut allergies do exist in Indian kids (I'm Indian, and was allergic to peanuts as a child). I think Indian parents just tend not to discuss these sort of things.

I hope DD's appointment goes well, and her allergy isn't too severe! Mine went away on its own when I was 10-11 years old (I used to get allergy shots twice a week for peanuts, chocolate and pollen/grass allergies)

anamika
04-28-2006, 10:55 AM
Mine went away on its own when I was 10-11 years old
>

We're hoping this will be the case with DD also.
I'm really clueless about it so I was assuming that peanut allergies a) can usually never be outgrown and b) reactions are always severe (anaphylactic shock type). Is it possible to have a moderate reaction (Benadryl kind)? Is the blood test number an indication of the severity of the allergy?
I know....I should really start looking at resources but I'm kind of taking a mental break from this before I *really* get down to dealing with it. I'm usually more proactive than this but this week I feel beat. I have to have my wisdom teeth out today too.....
Oh well, that's life
BTW, I've been meaning to tell you - Kabir is one of my favorite poets. I still remember a lot of his dohas from school. Your signature always reminds me.

anamika
04-28-2006, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the tip. We are trying to clear our house of peanut products now so I took out the two obvious ones - the PB and the peanuts themselves. After DH left with the bag, I found candies, and snack mixes and all this other peanut containing stuff that I never thought about before.
So....sigh....it's going to be a huge change in our mindset and lifestyle.
I just have to get into the habit of reading labels!! Mentally slapping myself here!
Thanks again,

mamato1
04-28-2006, 01:47 PM
From my research I have learned that 25%-30% of kids outgrow the allergy and yes there are definitely reactions that are not full blown anaphylaxis. I know this for fact becasue my DS had a minor reaction with absolutely no signs of anaphylaxis.

Chris
edited for typo
Mama to Brendan (aka Boomer) 01/04

http://b3.lilypie.com/FnI6m5/.png

michlyn
04-28-2006, 11:30 PM
Hugs to you. It is so hard when you're the parent of a child with allergies - going to the grocery store takes a lot longer because I have to read all labels thoroughly. The good news is that there is more awareness and better food labeling nowadays.

My DH had peanut allergies when he was younger but he was in the 20% that outgrew them. My DD has egg, soy, and milk protein allergies. I'm going back in 6 months for another RAST and will test for peanut as well. I have a great allergist and I was told that a higher RAST number only indicates likelihood of having an allergic reaction, not the severity of the reaction. There have been patients who have a high RAST score with a hive like reaction and some with a lower RAST who have anaphylaxsis.

Good luck to you. I second the www.kidswithfoodallergies.org. It's an excellent resource. People often go to www.faan.org as well.

pixelprincess
04-29-2006, 01:58 AM
I am sorry you are going through this. One of my good friend's DS has a peanut allergy (she is Indian too). He is 12 and he has learnt to cope with his allergy although am hoping that your DD will outgrow hers. I can ask her for more info when I talk to her next.

dhano923
04-29-2006, 12:21 PM
Any allergy can definitely be outgrown! Like I said in my previous post, I was allergic to peanuts and also chocolate when I was a child. I outgrew both as a pre-teen. But I didn't outgrow my grass and pollen allergies and still have those (DS also has these allergies as well, not sure about DD yet).

My reaction to peanuts was always bad hives. I was still able to breathe, no gasping for breath, etc. Just really large, red hives that would go away with either a shot from the doctor or a double dose of Benedryl (although it may have been a different medicine, I can't remember now). Reactions can be mild, from just a skin rash to the full fledged anaphylactic shock. From what I understand, high numbers doesn't indicate the severity of the reaction. Every body will react differently, and I think also from what product in ingested or touched (I had to refrain from products fried in peanut oil also).

Having an allergy is difficult, but not the end of the world. It's hard as a kid though, I think, because you want to eat and drink the same things your friends are having! Halloween used to kill me because I wasn't able to eat most of the candy I collected (everything was chocolate or peanut). I still remember the first time I ate a Reese's peanut butter cup -- I was in heaven! LOL

Hope your wisdom tooth extraction went ok -- I need to get mine out soon but I keep putting it off! :)