PDA

View Full Version : OT: tips on storing sweaters till winter??

marchmommy
04-27-2006, 07:26 PM
Does it make sense for me to put all my wool and cashmere sweaters in a plastic box from Container Store or Target (and then in the basement) or will this not protect well from moths and other bugs? Any other suggestions for storage??? Thanks! I am trying to do spring cleaning and make room in my little closet!

jenjenfirenjen
04-27-2006, 07:40 PM
If you don't already have under-bed storage boxes, that would probably be a better place than the basement. They'd probably be protected from bugs but the heat/humidity would not be a good thing.

Of course, I stored Luke's baby clothes in a plastic container in the attic (read: very hot!) and they are just fine.

cbm
04-27-2006, 07:46 PM
I would think that if the container is air tight, you shouldn't have problems with moths and other bugs. I store my clothes in plastic containers when I rotate them and they do well.

Claudia
DS 12/18/04

MelissaTC
04-27-2006, 08:07 PM
DH is hooked on those space bags. We put our sweaters in those and then stored them under our bed. They are pretty cool and decently priced. We found them at Bed Bath and Beyond as well as Wal-Mart.

mmaimp
04-27-2006, 08:57 PM
If your going to store wool in an airtight container make sure it is clean and dry. I just read a few good tips about wool storage. One was to use cotton pillow cases or bags to store wool because moths will not eat through cotton to get to your sweaters. Also use lavender or other scents to confuse moths they will then look for another food source that is more easily recognizable.

HTH,

bostonsmama
04-28-2006, 12:22 AM
I do all sorts of storing...I have one dresser in our office that I fill with transitional seasoned clothing. I also do Rubbermaid totes (I prefer the ones with the domed lids, actually) in the attic. I have NEVER noticed mice, rats, moths or other pests in our attic--or the neighborhood for that matter, so I can't say it's the best method for everyone. I also keep a few items (like Halloween costumes, and an assortment of things I long to fit into again) in space bags. Personally, while I will always have space bags around to vacuum pack belongings during hurricane season, I find they leave sweaters (especially ones that have to be dry cleaned-like cashmere & knit silk) horribly wrinkly. I prefer to fold everything nicely and put it into the Rubbermaid totes in my attic. The only exception is for sweaters with beads, sequins, or adornments. We have "Southern" summers here (hot/humid), so I'd hate for anything to melt. Those go under the bed or in another room's closet.

Larissa

We're doing it! IVF orientation & consult scheduled for May 2nd!
Saline Sonogram--May 5th

Proud Aunt to Jack Dorian, born to my brother and SIL on 3/06
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32719.jpg