PDA

View Full Version : OT: On the off chance there are any Doctors around...

buddyleebaby
04-27-2006, 10:14 PM
...I was wondering if you could direct me to some good online medical resources.
Specifically I am looking for information on why epinephrine is not advised for people with organic brain disorder.
I have come up with two hypotheses but have not been able to prove/disprove either one, despite googling for quite awhile. Does anyone know of a site that may have information?
Thanks!

pb&j
04-28-2006, 11:28 AM
For a question like this, you'd probably want to do a good search in PubMed or Medline. Neither of those are readily available to the public - you'd need some kind of institutional access for them. PubMedCentral.com has many free scholarly journals available, but it's not comprehensive by any means. If you're near a university with a medical school, you may want to take a trip to the medical library where you'll likely have access to those databases and others, and possibly the full text of many articles. In addition, the reference librarians can help get you started on a good search, and point you to consumer health resources that might be useful to you.

ETA: I'm not a doctor, but I do work in a medical library.

-Ry,
mom to Emma, stillborn 11/04/04
and Max, 01/05/06

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32812.gif
http://b1.lilypie.com/aKGqm5/.png[/img] ([img)

torontomom
04-28-2006, 11:45 AM
deleted...

Sillygirl
04-28-2006, 01:59 PM
I don't know if you're going to be able to find much in the formal medical literature without more specific information at hand. Organic brain disorder is kind of a catchall diagnosis that covers a wide spectrum of disease. If you knew more about what caused it in the specific person you're thinking of, it would increase your chances of a successful search. PubMed is a good search engine but it does use a pretty formal set of terms.

buddyleebaby
04-28-2006, 07:47 PM
Thanks everybody.

Katie,
I actually am not researching this in relation to any person. My dh and I have a bet going with each other. (We have no TV and have found other ways to entertain ourselves).
I really am surprisd at how hard it has been to come across some good info. I haven't tried PubMed yet but will definitely get around to it.
At least it is something I can work on at my leisure.
Thanks again!