PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone around/near Katy, TX?

bcafe
04-28-2006, 10:16 AM
Just wondering how the area is? I have never been to TX before, but DH is wondering about applying for a position in the Dallas area. TIA!

TaChapm
04-28-2006, 10:24 AM
Katy is actually near Houston. It is a nice area that is close to San Antonio and the coast but it is HOT and HUMID! The Houston area really doesn't even cool off that much during the winter time. Extremely mild winters but HOT HOT HOT summers!

Dallas area is HOT as well but winter is a little more like the typical winter. They do have snow and ice. Both areas are nice with a lot to do in and around them.

Tara
Mommy to Jackson 11-10-02
Tyler William 6-9-05
OMG!!! It's a GIRL!! Due September 5, 2006!

http://b4.lilypie.com/gzWfm8.png

http://b1.lilypie.com/kLMem8.png

http://bd.lilypie.com/UEZ3m8.png

bcafe
04-28-2006, 10:28 AM
Oops! I guess I took DH that is was near Dallas.

babymama
04-28-2006, 11:33 AM
I have friends that live in Sugarland (near Katy).
Katy is essentially a suburb northwest of Houston (don't know how may miles). It's now got a HUGE (we're talking GIGANTIC) mall called the Katy Mills mall. Katy is typical of most affluent suburbs - gated communities, manicured lawns, not very diverse, etc.

I grew up in a town on the other side of Houston (southeast). So take my comments with a grain of salt, as I have not lived there since 1992 (though I visit frequently bc my family and many friendsb are still there).

Houston has it's benefits:
- a very international city
- big enough to have good airline service (direct flights)
- great museums, restaurants
- good shopping
- world class hospitals
- close to the coast, so you can get away to the beach easily

Among Houston's drawbacks are:
- HOT and HUMID! seriously, we're talking oppressive summers
- super sprawled out, so you have to drive everywhere
- people tend to keep to themselves, so while it;s diverse, I don;t see a whole lot of community there
- consistently named one of the fattest cities in America
- did I mention how hot it gets?
- that beach I mentioned earlier...the water is brown.

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, my 2 yr old monster
and new baby girl, Solana, born 12/26/05
I'll figure out how to update my avatar someday!

jenjenfirenjen
04-28-2006, 01:27 PM
Well, I'm confused if OP is looking at moving to Houston (Katy) or Dallas. But I'm from Houston and just thought I would defend my hometown a little bit.

Yes, it's very hot and humid. But it's hot and humid lots of places. Even here in Philly it gets every bit as hot and humid, it just doesn't last as long. I think you get used to it. And you don't have to deal with snow.

Yes, one of the fattest cities in America. Probaly because it has more restaurants per cap than just about any other city and they're all good!

I have to disagree that people keep to themselves. Moving from TX to the Northeast, OMG, Texans is SOOOOOO friendly. People up here, they know how to keep to themselves. Houston is very diverse, even in the suburbs, and almost everyone is friendly.

True, it is super sprawled out and there are not a lot of opportunities to do stuff outside. It's not a walking city. And the beach. Well, it's fine if you don't know any better but if you've been to just about any other decent beach, Galveston is kind of sad.

bcafe
04-28-2006, 02:58 PM
I had my geography wrong. I am talking about Katy, which for some reason I thought was near Dallas. I should have looked at a map first. Sorry!

cilantromapuche
04-28-2006, 06:54 PM
I grew up partly there and go back every once in a while. I don't know where you are coming from but living in upstate NY, Katy is like a different planet. My close friend from there and I laugh as we tell our spouses about going to school and living there.
Schools are good, football is HUGE, traffic is lousy. When I was living there there was rush hour traffic that started as you got closer to dowtown Houston, now it is always backed up all the way to Katy.
The museums in HOuston are phenomenal. Great shopping and food and always lots to do.
I would not personally want to live in Houston but if you have to Katy is not a bad place. Some other areas Sugarland, Kingwood, and CLear Lake have a better reputation than Katy--at least when I lived there.

Christine

mama to A (7/03)