PDA

View Full Version : Boston/Cambridge mamas - urgently need dentist/oral surgeon recommendations

anamika
04-29-2006, 10:56 PM
Hi all,
I'm really having a bad week.....Well, my dentist visit on Fri was my worst nightmare come true. The dentist numbed me up on both sides - I was planning to get both the lower wisdom teeth out (okay if you're squeamish, stop reading here)

and tried to hack out my left wisdom tooth (which was infected) with all her torture instruments. After much drilling and cracking sounds and pushing and grunting (she) and groaning (me), she finally gave up and said she couldn't get it out and that she would try to get me an appt with an oral surgeon on Mon.
She told me I wouldn't even need a painkiller (what???!!!) but I insisted on a prescription thankfully. So now I'm sore (literally) and mad! It hurts to open my jaw and my whole left side is aching even with the painkiller. And the tooth is shifted now so my bite is all weird.
After my experience with her, I'm not really sure if I should go with her recommendation for an oral surgeon.
So if someone can recommend a good dentist or oral surgeon in the Boston/Cambridge area, I would much appreciate it. Especially someone who works late (after 4 PM).
TIA,

Rachels
04-30-2006, 08:10 AM
WHAAAAAAAAAT?! OMG. That is so not okay. You might try Newbury Dental on Newbury Street. They have both dentists and oral surgeons on staff. It's sort of a factory over there, but everyone is very good and well-qualified. I also like Tremont Dental Care in the South End very much-- just not sure what their oral surgeon status is.

-Rachel
Mama to Abigail Rose
5/18/02
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif
Nursed for three years!

and Ethan James
10/19/05
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/bf.jpg

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya

smilequeen
04-30-2006, 08:17 AM
Oh good lord. Why didn't she freaking find you an oral surgeon who could take you RIGHT then!!!! Stuff like that happens where procedures are more difficult, and the dentist should have had someone she could call and get you in with ASAP. Not on Monday. Not in pain over the weekend...riiiiiight. What color is the sky in that world?

Sorry, I wish I could help you find someone, but I just wanted to offer a ((((hug))))

mariza
04-30-2006, 08:30 AM
I see Dr. Valdemar Welz in the Back Bay:
398 Commonwealth Ave
Boston, MA 02215-2801
(617) 262-3737

I don't think they have late hours, but I'm not really sure. He is very kind and gentle, and um, oh yeah, he knows what he's doing :)
I hope you find some releif soon!!!

oneplustwo
04-30-2006, 09:30 AM
You poor thing!

I see Kenneth Krowne (yes, with a name like that I guess he was destined to become a dentist!) at 209 Harvard Street in Brookline, phone # 617-734-8300. He has many years of experience, definitely knows what he's doing, is gentle and has a conservative approach that I really appreciate. For example, when one dentist wanted to pull a wisdom tooth right then and there because of some inflamed gum near it, I went for a second opinion, to Dr. Krowne, who told me to gargle with salt water every 4 hours and the inflammation would go away, no need to pull the tooth. He was right! He's been my dentist ever since, for 20 years now (ugh, that makes me sound old!).

Dr. Krowne also was included in the Boston Consumers' Checkbook in their 2005 issue on the Boston area's top dentists. I especially like the office staff, very friendly. I am pretty sure they take appointments after 4 pm.

Good luck in finding someone, and I hope you feel better soon.

Anne
mom to DD. 8/01 and twin DSs, 11/03