PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how to run a home-based business, such as tutoring?

jadamom
04-30-2006, 09:50 AM
My friend is interested in tutoring a foreign language in her home, her MIL's home, and in mine. We each live in different cities, about 30-40 minutes away from each other. Would I need a business license to allow her to do this out of my home? Do I need special insurance in case any of the kids get hurt? Do I need to have a special space provided? Will I have sticky fingerprints and dirty footprints all over my house? How does this work? Should I agree to it? What would you do? Thanks!

cbm
04-30-2006, 10:38 AM
I have tutored ESL and other subjects from my home or the local library.
I have tutored (I still have a few students until the end of May) adults. Frankly, I prefer tutoring from the library or any other meeting place instead of my home. When I have tutored from my home it has been when the library was closed or for some other reason.
As far as I know a license is not needed, at least in my state. However, it may be different if you are teaching a class of children, and you are planning to keep them longer than one hour.
How old will the children be? You seem to expect young children, but, in my experience teaching the parents, young children learn English in school and very rarely need tutoring. Those who do are older children and many schools provide tutoring.
To be honest with you, I wouldn't let my friend use my house for tutoring or any other business. She can use the library (it works if one on one or maybe two people)or she can see if the local community center wants to offer her ESL class for a charge.
If you need more explanation, feel free to email through the boards.

Claudia :-)
DS 12/18/04

jadamom
04-30-2006, 05:26 PM
Thanks for your reply. I think she's thinking of teaching a foreign language (not ESL) to kids of all ages, maybe even to their parents, as well. She mentioned giving ethnic cooking classes to the parents, too, but I would think I'd have to have some sort of health department certificate if she's going to be serving food or even a snack for the kids? I don't know. I'll have to look into it.

cbm
04-30-2006, 06:08 PM
I had had someone ask me a while back if I would teach cooking from my home, I am originally from another country. When I looked into it, I had concluded that I wouldn't need a certificate or a permit. Unfortunately, I don't remember the details at the moment. Having a child and raising him has sort of wiped my memory :-).
At any rate, I decided not to do it because there would be too many problems. The major ones where the amount of people and the cost of the food, using the appliances and so on. I think the cost is self explanatory, the problem with the amount of people concerns whether or not they should participate in the cooking. Is there enough space for participation? How about for sitting if it is a class format? Also how many hours would a class last? Many cooking classes will include time for eating the food. If it is at night, it may not be a problem for your friend, but it may be for you if you offer your house.
As far as offering snacks to the kids, when tutoring you really shouldn't offer anything, unless they are dying of thirst. Your job is to tutor, their job is to learn. You can make it fun. That goes for adults as much as for kids. You will socialize, but I have never been offered food by tutors when I have needed one and I don't offer any. Also, keep in mind that when tutoring kids an hour is probably more than enough. You know, attention span :-).
Just some points you may want to bring up with your friend. As described your friend's plans seem to be a bit vague. Before you agree, make sure everything is in writing. It will help you down the line if she decides to change things without mentioning it to you.

Claudia :-)
DS 12/18/04

tiapam
04-30-2006, 09:32 PM
1. You might need a business license from your city, county or state. 2. I would definitely discuss it with your insurance provider.
3. Tutoring does require privacy and quiet.

Are you getting anything out of this besides helping your friend? I find it hard to believe she could pay you for the space and still make this worth her while. Personally, I wouldn't do it, especially given the ages of your children. This could be a big disruption in your household, not to mention her students could bring various colds and flus over with them.

-Pam

DD - One year old!

jadamom
04-30-2006, 11:51 PM
You're right. My friend's just brainstorming ideas right now. I'm not sure how well this would work out in reality. Thanks for bringing up some good points.

jadamom
05-01-2006, 12:02 AM
Thanks for your comments. I think she intends to tutor my kids (along with the other students) in exchange for the use of my house.