PDA

View Full Version : duration of birthday party for 3 year old

crl
04-30-2006, 11:15 AM
How long would you say for a mid-morning birthday party for a 3 year old?

We'll likely invite his preschool class and neighborhood friends--probably about 7 2-3 year olds and a couple of younger siblings, plus parents, will actually come. We only have a tiny back patio here so we can't throw all the kids outside to run around. . . . So I'm thinking we should keep it short.

Is an hour too short?

Thanks!

lizamann
04-30-2006, 12:39 PM
An hour seems a little short to me, especially if people don't arrive on time, but 1.5 hours doesn't. I am planning a 3rd party and am thinking 2 hours, but it will be all family.

Maybe serve cake an hour after the start time and then wind down after that?

spunkybaby
04-30-2006, 12:43 PM
We had a two-hour party when my DD turned 2. That was a perfect time length for us since some people came late, and others left early. But we had the party at a party place for toddlers (think big room with lots of different activity areas--dress-up, kitchen, puppet theater, train table, etc.) so they had lots to do. It would have been harder for me to keep them entertained (and out of each other's hair) at home. So maybe 10-11:30 would be good for you? I agree with PP that 1 hour seems short.

Not-so-new mom to a spunky toddler
March 2004

jd11365
04-30-2006, 02:13 PM
We just did Kayla's today. It was 2ish hours. It was at a playground. They played from 10-11, had pizza from 11-11:30, played some more while I cleaned up, came for cake and presents, presto party. :)

KBecks
04-30-2006, 02:17 PM
My gut is 2 hours.

But - you can have a great playgroup that's only an hour long, so an hour is probably fine if you want it that short.

MelissaTC
04-30-2006, 02:48 PM
All the parties we have attended and have given have been around 2 hours.

crl
04-30-2006, 05:58 PM
Okay, thanks. Our previous parties (going away parties for others, Easter egg hunt, etc) have been around 2 to 2 1/2 hours, but they were a bit smaller and we had a backyard. Maybe I'll shoot for an hour and half, or think about having it at a local park.

Thank you!