PDA

View Full Version : Where did my baby go?! (Frivolous post)

trumansmom
04-30-2006, 02:33 PM
Earlier this week I took DD in for her two year check up. The doctor did the exam and as he was feeling her head he said it looked like her fontanelle (sp?) was closed. I started crying. It was just a physical confirmation of what I already knew - DD isn't a baby anymore. Thankfully, he already knows I'm nuts, so he humored me.

But then, last night Eleanor and I were meeting DH and DS for dinner. As we pulled into the parking lot my DD, who two weeks ago was just somtimes making two word combinations, says, "Look Mommy. I see Daddy's Honda!" I almost fainted. Who stole my baby and gave me this kid?!

Today she has said, "No Mommy. I NEED to read the book." "I need makeup too." "We meet B (my mother) for eating tonight?" (We're having dinner with her) I'm stunned.

But I guess I couldn't be. She's never really done anything until she could do it well. She was late sitting up, but never once fell over once she started sitting. She was late walking, but when she started she was quite sure on her feet. She's hasn't been much of a talker, and now she won't shut up!

I told DH he either had to get me a puppy or get me pregnant! I need something little to mother!

I'm still in shock. I not ready to not have any babies in the house! WAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

mamato1
04-30-2006, 02:40 PM
Oh, I hear you. My little one is exactly the same as yours, a late but perfect bloomer. It really is sad isn't it. Good luck with getting DH to agree to another baby. I've been trying, but looks like I might have to settle for the puppy :)

Chris

Mama to Brendan (aka Boomer) 01/04

http://b3.lilypie.com/FnI6m5/.png

trumansmom
04-30-2006, 02:47 PM
LOL! We're more likely to get a puppy, too. :)

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

Jo..
04-30-2006, 04:37 PM
>I told DH he either had to get me a puppy or get me pregnant!
>I need something little to mother!

LOL! I think that's why my husband decided it was finally time for us to start a family. He figured that three dogs were enough for us ;)!

cbm
04-30-2006, 08:24 PM
>She's hasn't been much of a talker, and now she won't shut
>up!

LOL :-).

Jeanne, that sounds like my niece. Once she started talking, there was no stopping her.
I have the feeling my DS will be a talker as well. In his own limited way he never shuts up either :-).
Good luck on finding whoever you can mother!

Claudia
DS 12/18/04

elliput
04-30-2006, 08:56 PM
Oh, how bittersweet. It is amazing how quickly our babies change.

MarisaSF
04-30-2006, 11:11 PM
Jeanne,
I'm totally with you. I cry when I put away the outgrown clothes and shoes. Every milestone is so bittersweet!
You've got two real sweetie pies! :)

jennifer_r
05-01-2006, 07:48 AM
I'm going through alot of those same feeling lately. DD1 is 20 months and she just seems so "grownup" now; I've been lamenting to my husband how she's no longer a baby. My DD2 (and she will be our last baby) is almost 6 months old and I'm already getting sentimental about her "aging" - this week we installed the regular carseat and I got sad thinking that we'll no longer use the infant carseat ever again. I also get sad thinking that as she outgrows the clothes, they'll never get worn again. They're all signs that our babies are growing up.

Jennifer

Mom to:
Christopher 12/29/89
Adelaide 8/23/04
Bronwyn 11/9/05

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_rosequartz_3m.gif[/img][/url]

proggoddess
05-01-2006, 08:55 AM
Slightly OT, but you can save all those clothes and give them to your daughters when they have kids. My parents (who are totally frugal packrats, I admit it!) saved quite a few of my baby clothes. And as an infant, my DD looked just like me. My dad was holding her and said "I feel like it's 30 years ago, all over again!"

DH wants to save the clothes again, half as a joke, and half so we can have the same deja vu feeling. I don't think my old clothes will make it *that* far, but perhaps the new ones...

pb&j
05-01-2006, 08:58 AM
Jeanne, I know exactly what you mean. I cried when Max's umbilical cord stump fell off, and he was only 9 days old! (I'm sure hormones had nothing to do with it, LOL.)

The best is yet to come! :)

-Ry,
mom to Emma, stillborn 11/04/04
and Max, 01/05/06

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32812.gif
http://b1.lilypie.com/aKGqm5/.png[/img] ([img)

Mamma2004
05-01-2006, 09:18 AM
Jeanne, I know what you mean about "where did my baby go?" - DS will be two on May 24 and since it took us four years (two with endless infertility treatments) to have him, I fear he may be our last/only. With the celebration of every milestone reached comes that bittersweet nostalgia and the mourning of the passing of every precious stage.

Can you tell I am feeling sentimental and that I am really struggling with the upcoming birthday??

Hugs to you...and I'll keep my fingers crossed that you will soon have someone else to mother!

Stephanie