PDA

View Full Version : Do you let your political views shape what music/movies you are in to

TaChapm
05-01-2006, 02:54 PM
DH and I had a huge discussion about this over the weekend. We were watching CMT and the new Dixie Chicks video came on. I have always been a Dixie Chicks fan. The video and song seem to be about the comments Natalie Maines said about the War and the backlash from it. I really like the song even though I am a Republican and I support Bush. I told DH that I would like to get the new CD and he said he didn't want me to support them. It got me to thinking that if we boycot everyone who dislikes Bush that we really wouldn't be able to watch TV or Movies either since the vast majority of Hollywood tends to be Democrats. It just doesn't make much sense to me. I think that if a person is talented and I enjoy what they do I should be able to listen to them dispite their political views. I don't look to celebrities to shape my views because the vast majority of them are more messed up than I am. :) I am just wondering if others let their personal political feelings shape what forms of entertainment they choose.

This is NOT a political thread to get into Republican vs. Democrat so let's keep it nice! Please NO bashing dispite your views!

Tara
Mommy to Jackson 11-10-02
Tyler William 6-9-05
OMG!!! It's a GIRL!! Due September 5, 2006!

http://b4.lilypie.com/gzWfm8.png

http://b1.lilypie.com/kLMem8.png

http://bd.lilypie.com/UEZ3m8.png

elliput
05-01-2006, 03:12 PM
I make it a policy to not take notice of the political leanings of entertainers. After all they their business is entertainment, not politics - and they don't give a hoot about mine. This makes things much simpler. If I stumble across a song, movie, etc that I don't like the message of I tend to avoid just that piece and not the whole artist.

mamato1
05-01-2006, 03:20 PM
I don't let my political views really dictate my entertainament dollars. I do let my political views dictate where I spend my money ie not shopping at Wal-mart.

Chris

Mama to Brendan (aka Boomer) 01/04

http://b3.lilypie.com/FnI6m5/.png

firstbaby
05-01-2006, 03:40 PM
Yes and no - clear as mud, right???

For me, it depends. I don't go *looking* for what someone's political leanings are to decide whether or not to buy their album, etc but I do have a hard time when someone uses their celebrity to promote a cause. For instance, I think Tom Cruise's "medical" statements/beliefs were irresponsible (PPD, ADD, etc)- but that is just ME.

bostonsmama
05-01-2006, 03:43 PM
Funny you ask this. I was just listening to John Cougar Melloncamp's "Little Pink Houses" song in the car and jamming out. I love it...but it's true there are times when I remember all he said during the '04 election that irked me. Will I be buying a greatest hits album anytime soon? No. But will I toss out my current CD of his songs? No. And while I don't know how I feel about the Dixie Chicks anymore, if they're "not ready to make nice," then I guess I don't have to be either. And that's my perogative. There is no right in the Constitution that guarantees them CD sales.

In general, I feel very uncomfortable listening to or watching the music and movies of stars who are so pedantic about their views--particularly, those who Sunday-morning Quarterback or "armchair direct". Even a child can levy insults...it takes wisdom, courage and hard work to come up with a solution.

Oddly enough, I have profound respect for Angelina Jolie/Brad Pitt for all they're doing for Africa's education crisis, for George Clooney's documentary on the Sudan and Darfur, for Richard Geere and his work fighting AIDS, but when Susan Sarandon (sp?) says she's going to play Cindy Sheehan in a made for TV movie, I want to throw up. So, I will never boycott a star who has a dog in the fight, so to speak, but I have no problem avoiding and boycotting stars who don't.

Larissa

We're doing it! IVF orientation & consult scheduled for May 2nd!
Saline Sonogram--May 5th

Proud Aunt to Jack Dorian, born to my brother and SIL on 3/06
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32719.jpg

aliceinwonderland
05-01-2006, 04:04 PM
No, but natural selection happens. I do not google political affiliation before we pick a movie, but i can bet you most the directors, artists, etc. we like are likely not GOP members :)

trumansmom
05-01-2006, 04:07 PM
Yes.

And I keep writing things and I keep deleting them. I think I'm going to let my "yes" stand alone. :P

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

jenjenfirenjen
05-01-2006, 04:10 PM
I gotta say yes and no too. I wouldn't boycott an artist's work simply because their views differ with mine, or I find them to be too outspoken or just generally ignorant or annoying. However, when their work starts to be about their views, I may choose not to listen to/watch that particular thing. For instance, I love Bruce Springsteen but lately his music is just too political. And it's not even that I disagree with his POV, I just prefer music to be about more raw human emotions, not politics. That said, Neill Young can be political all day long and I'll still listen. And some of the best songs written are political songs and I love 'em. So I guess it just depends.

jec2
05-01-2006, 04:11 PM
"I think that if a person is talented and I enjoy what they do
I should be able to listen to them dispite their political
views."

And, regardless of what your husband says :P

I think it depends on the person. Some people's political views are just a lot stronger than others. Some people would be first in line for a boycott while others would never care diddly squat about a particular issue.

psophia17
05-01-2006, 04:16 PM
Yes.

If it abundantly clear how they felt about an issue I felt strongly about, and I disagreed, I wouldn't be able to participate in the media experience in a good way (meaning it'd just make me mad), so I'd avoid it. But ignorance is bliss.

My best example is Tom Cruise. I cannot look at his face now without thinking of how much I dislike him. So - I can't watch his movies anymore. Therefore I don't.

It extends into politics as well...luckily for me, my views tend to agree with those of the artists/actors/musicians that I like.

jec2
05-01-2006, 04:18 PM
After all they their business is
>entertainment, not politics"

Oh, I disagree. MANY musicians' songs are completely, overtly and intentionally political: Woody Guthrie, Bob Dylan, Sting, Billie Brag, Bruce Springsteen, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Ani di Franco, Neil Young, CS&N, Pink Floyd...I could go on and on.

BaileyBea
05-01-2006, 04:25 PM
Yeah, Movie Stars and Entertainers say DUMB things. We have the right to free speech and no matter the consequences it's great to have that right.

I ignored the whole Dixie Chicks thing. I like their music. And I like all types of entertainers, musicians etc... I just can't let politics affect the way I enjoy a movie, music etc.. Especially w/politics these days. It's just not worth it. They are all a bit nutty on everyside.

I say listen and watch what you want to.

kath68
05-01-2006, 04:34 PM
I'm in the "it depends" camp, too. I tend to notice what corporations do politically more than individuals. I do have corporations that I try to avoid, in my imperfect way. I can't think of any individuals I would boycott for political reasons.

Thinking on it for a second, it might be because I am a true believer in the first amendment -- individuals have a right to say anything political they want, whether they are famous or not. If I don't agree with them, that's ok; that's the beauty of this country in a nutshell. People are entitled to say whatever political speech they want, and I am entitled to not like it.

But, how much I like an entertainer would probably be subconsciously influenced by their politics. As a Dem, I like some of the politically active entertainers more who do things I admire. I will probably be more inclined to buy what they are selling, just because I have a more positive feel about them overall. Likewise, if an entertainer is politically active in a way I don't like, I will probably have a lower opinion of him/her, and will be less likely to buy what they are selling. It isn't purposeful, but it happens, I'm sure.

MelissaTC
05-01-2006, 06:09 PM
This is an interesting question and you really have me thinking. I agree with Eri about natural leanings/selection. I will not eat Dominos pizza- ever. Besides the fact that I think it is yucky, I don't agree with the owner's politics. I, too look at Tom Cruise and want to barf. And Jerry MacGuire is one of my favorite movies. I used to loathe Angelina Jolie but lately have taken interest in her work in Africa and seem to enjoy her movies more (that and the fact that I think she and Brad had amazing chemistry in Mr. & Mrs. Smith). I shop at Wal-Mart because I want things cheap. I don't eat Mount Olive pickles because they mistreat their workers. I don't like Toby Keith because of the song he sang after 9/11. So I guess I am a big mess, huh???? ;)

Rachels
05-01-2006, 06:34 PM
I never understood that boycott and think it's stupid and ridiculous. Agree or not, they were exercising the rights and freedoms this administration says it wants to protect.

-Rachel
Mama to Abigail Rose
5/18/02
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif
Nursed for three years!

and Ethan James
10/19/05
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/bf.jpg

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya

kijip
05-01-2006, 07:08 PM
Not specifically but by default I likely do. It is just a natural association thing---we are more likely to associate with people like us. I for example, am unlikely to be interested in listening to pro-war music or fundamentalist evangeligal religious music or watching movies with a pro-war message. Even if it is musically or theatrically pleasing, it is unlikely to be my cup of tea. I would imagine that conservatives would feel the same way about the music to which I listen and some of the movies that I enjoy. However, if I found out that my favorite new artist was a Republican, I would not stop buying their music...unless the artist was bankrolling a PAC or something. LOL. And I would still give a listen to music that I was intriqued with on the radio or that was reccomended to me that was made by someone that was my polical opposite, provided it was not political in nature. But honestly I usually do not know that information about a band when I first hear them so it is a non issue.

That said, I go to baseball games where some of my favorite players are known by me to be Rebuplicans or Libertarains...so if I am otherwise interested, I don't boycott unless there is a specific reason to do so. And I am sure that my *vast* music collection includes a lot of music MADE BY Republicans or Communists or Libertarians or Greens etc (all parties I don't belong to!) ---it just does not include music that IS Republican etc.

If your husband wants to boycott the Dixie Chicks, let him. But I don't see why you would have to boycott them ;)!

kijip
05-01-2006, 07:27 PM
>Oddly enough, I have profound respect for Angelina Jolie/Brad
>Pitt for all they're doing for Africa's education crisis, for
>George Clooney's documentary on the Sudan and Darfur, for
>Richard Geere and his work fighting AIDS, but when Susan
>Sarandon (sp?) says she's going to play Cindy Sheehan in a
>made for TV movie, I want to throw up. So, I will never
>boycott a star who has a dog in the fight, so to speak, but I
>have no problem avoiding and boycotting stars who don't.

Funny thing- Susan Sarandon has a dog in the fight I would say when it comes to the peace movement. I wonder if I should boycott whoever gets hired to portray someone that I don't like? Should I boycott someone hired to portray GWB? Seems like it is her job- she was hired to play an anti-war activist. I wouldn't see the movie if I didn't want to, but I wouldn't avoid the actor's other work. I see your conclusion but I don't grasp the reasoning.

elliput
05-01-2006, 08:20 PM
I understand what you mean, and agree completely. What I was saying is that, for the most part, they are not politicians in elected government positions.

ribbit1019
05-01-2006, 08:34 PM
Nope, not at all. I do make decisions based on other acts, such as molesting and murdering though.

Christy
My Waterbabies
Maddy born 6/9/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
&
Jarred born 3/8/06, 11 lb 14.5 oz 24" @ 6 wks, a happily breastfed babe.
http://b1.lilypie.com/KH1pm5/.png
Co-Owner Ribbit Baby

psophia17
05-01-2006, 09:08 PM
Overt and intentionally political songs are just that for a reason - and are therefore avoidable if the listener doesn't agree with the lyrics (provided the listener can figure out the lyrics, which isn't always easy).

I think that is what the OP was asking, though - if you can be ignorant of what the personality is preaching, and just enjoy the music/movie/media, or if you can't.

psophia17
05-01-2006, 09:10 PM
Susan Sarandon was one of the 8 women invited to help carry the Olympic flag in to the stadium at Torino this past Olympics, all of whom were invited to do so because of their activism in their home countries - she has been active politically for as long as I can remember.

bunnisa
05-01-2006, 10:43 PM
>I never understood that boycott and think it's stupid and
>ridiculous. Agree or not, they were exercising the rights and
>freedoms this administration says it wants to protect.
>

LOL!!!

I'm excercising MY right and freedom to not put any more dollars in their pockets!

(especially if those dollars are used to support causes that I oppose!)

Bethany
blessed wife and mama to two!

"And children are always a good thing, devoutly to be wished for and fiercely to be fought for."
-Justin Torres

MarisaSF
05-01-2006, 11:10 PM
Yes. I try as often as possible to put my money where my mouth is. Politics are important to me and I do not want to financially support those I disagree with, especially those actively campaigning or rallying.

Rachels
05-02-2006, 05:37 AM
Right-- but a lot of the comments I heard were that they never should have said such a thing about the president in the first place.

-Rachel
Mama to Abigail Rose
5/18/02
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif
Nursed for three years!

and Ethan James
10/19/05
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/bf.jpg

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya

newnana
05-02-2006, 08:12 AM
This is a bit of a tangent, but it sums up my opinion on all entertainers. A few of you have mentioned the Tom Cruise thing and that's what got me started on this. I specifically don't pay attention to what any entertainer comments on outside of entertainment. I watch movies, I listen to songs, but I don't look at anything they say or do outside of that because it ruins entertainment for me. If I think an actor is hot and then he opens his mouth and says something stupid, that's all I'll think about any time I see him. It ruins entertainment for me! I have very little free time and what little entertainment I get to enjoy I don't want to diminish because I'm thinking about something other than what I'm watching/listening to.

The Tom Cruise thing was tough to not hear/see so I won't be seeing any more of his movies. Yep, pretty politically irresponsible of me, and as you can tell by the number of "I's" and "me's" in this post, it's all about me :)

himom
05-02-2006, 08:19 AM
Here's another "yes and no." :)

If a star is particularly obnoxious or insulting about something really general, then I do tend to avoid them. (EX: Anyone who would vote for X is an idiot.) My philosophy is, why should I give money to someone who is basically trashing me? Also, if I find out someone is dumping loads of their money into a cause that I really object to, I'm not going to be helping them out.

Having said that, however, I don't go out of my way to find out political affiliations and then only watch/listen to people who agree with me. I think even stars need to be respect people's right to have their own opinions without trashing them personally. (I'm talking regular people -- politicians are fair game!)

Behavior is really my key factor. If you are my exact opposite but you can still be nice about it, then we can be friends. :)

Even with celebs -- I can't watch Brangelina without remembering how they pretty much flaunted an affair -- I have no regard for people who cheat. (Meg Ryan bugs me too, same reason. And I used to LOVE her.) I can't watch Tom Cruise because of the whole post-partum depression thing. I get seriously pissed off everytime I see Mike Tyson and it baffles me that anyone would pay money to see him. It's not that I march around pompously declaring I'm above them, it's just that when I see them I remember how nasty they've been and I can't enjoy their work. And for some reason I can't pin down I just don't like Julia Roberts. I've no idea what it is that bugs me, she just does.

Another thing that kind of factors in is how good they are at their jobs. For instance, Susan Sarandon in Stepmother. She does that part SO well I can forget she's Susan Sarandon and I just see her character. Same goes for Shawshank Redemption, which is one of my favorite movies. Barbra on the radio I still love, but I get irritated if it's a visual performance. ??? I think Alec Baldwin is a terrible actor, and in Pearl Harbor he bugged me since he came off as really stilted and dorky. "We're going to Tokyo...and we're going to bomb it." But on Friends he was okay because his role was supposed to be somewhat dorky.

Anyway, if you still enjoy the Dixie Chicks, I'd get them. If you disagree with their politics, print out the song lyrics and see if they irk you enough to keep your wallet in your pocket. :)

cmdunn1972
05-02-2006, 09:08 AM
When I was much younger (and more politically active), I used to let my political viewpoints affect my choice of music or movies. However, I really don't have energy to care that much anymore. Half the time I'm not totally aware of what a particular celebrity's political viewpoints are anyway, unless they make it totally obvious (such as the case of Michael Moore). Anymore, I tend to see that everybody has a different view on life based on their own personal experiences, even those who share the same political party, so who am I to say that one viewpoint is any better than another's?

That said, I still can't bring myself to watch Fahrenheit 9/11, particularly because I dislike propaganda and conspiracy theories. Michael Moore comes across as an angry man, and I don't need to voluntarily expose myself to that or his ideas.

Toba
05-02-2006, 09:18 AM
I agree with most of this post ....

I am a staunch Republican, but I don't "fault" anyone for being on the other team. I don't like when Dems are in office, but I don't stand on a podium spouting off at the mouth about what a terrible state our country is in because of who is in office, which I've seen a few celebrities do. I don't agree with presidential bashing, no matter the political party. You don't agree with their views and policies, fine, I have no problem with that or you voicing your displeasure. But when it gets personally nasty, that I *do* have a problem with (whether it be Republican OR Democrat), especially when celebrities take advantage of the stage we afford them to spout off their views. I certainly don't listen to Coldplay because of their political views, so I don't need to hear British Chris Martin telling me who I should vote for in the last election at an awards show, thank you very much.

"Behavior is really my key factor. If you are my exact opposite but you can still be nice about it, then we can be friends." <---- This is my motto. ;)

When celebrities say stupid things, like Alec Baldwin did when he said if Bush Sr. was elected (or maybe it was if he was re-elected? can't remember), he'd be moving out of the country, PLEASE! Don't let the door hit on the #$@ on the way out. I still love my country passionately no matter what political party holds the Oval Office.

PS: Maybe you're remembering that Julia Roberts ran off with her fiance's best friend two (three?) days before her wedding to Keifer Sutherland? ;)

~Kimberly Anne~
Noah Nevan, March 12, 2004
*the light of my life*

trumansmom
05-02-2006, 09:54 AM
That sounds much better than all the stuff I kept writing and deleting.

So, what she said!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

kijip
05-02-2006, 10:46 AM
Yeah, I am not going to be buying Michael Jackson's work anytime soon...which is really too bad because somebody stole some of my records of his and now I am without them when I might want them...

SquamLake
05-02-2006, 10:58 AM
Just wanted to add that Domino's pizza is no longer owned by Tom Monaghan. Bain Capital acquired Domino's some time ago. I'm not a huge Domino's pizza fan, but my husband is and for the longest time I refused to let him order from them. Now he can again.

MarisaSF
05-02-2006, 11:13 AM
Glad to help. ;)

I was thinking about this last night. Everyone has a "pet (peeve) issue." My mom's is marital fidelity. She could never watch Frasier because (as she told me) Kelsey Grammer cheated on his wife. (Don't quote me on this.) As far as I know there was no national boycott of his show, but she did what she could.

Anyway, for some of us, the pet issue is political affiliation, others religion, others personal lives, etc.

jec2
05-02-2006, 11:50 AM
"I think that is what the OP was asking, though - if you can be ignorant of what the personality is preaching, and just enjoy the music/movie/media, or if you can't."

Yes, petra, I know. I wasn't addressing the OP's question in my post above, but the one from elliput.

jec2
05-02-2006, 11:51 AM
Oh, I understand what you mean :)

psophia17
05-02-2006, 01:02 PM
And I was agreeing with you in my response to elliput's post.

maestramommy
05-02-2006, 06:47 PM
It's been so long since I bought a mainstream CD I'm not sure if I would let politics affect my decision. I think Tom Cruise is an idiot, but all the movies I did see I liked him in them. The Brangelina thing is hard, and I don't want to judge them based on media fueled perception, but I do so admire what Angelina has been doing for quite a while before she got together with Brad.

I really felt sorry for the Dixie Chicks after the fallout following their remarks. When I went to South Africa a couple of years ago I felt embarrassed about being an American too, and I'm a nobody. I think they got dissed because they're public figures, and for some reason that means they can't say what they feel? Heck, they're probably expressing what a lot of people feel. I'm sure there are tons of Iranians out there that are embarrassed about being Iranian right now, KWIM?

Sorry, don't mean to hijack. I think I'd have to take things on a case by case basis when supporting entertainers, but to me it's like supporting certain stores, like Wal-mart. I don't shop there partly because of their practices, but they make it easier by providing the most hellish shopping experiences I've ever had.

bunnisa
05-03-2006, 12:12 PM
>I really felt sorry for the Dixie Chicks after the fallout
>following their remarks. I think they got dissed because they're
>public figures, and for some reason that means they can't say
>what they feel? Heck, they're probably expressing what a lot
>of people feel.

The "fallout" was a lot of other people expressing what they felt, too (with words or their wallets). What's to feel sorry for?

I am sorry that they felt threatened by unstable people -- that happens to many public figures, unfortunately. But had they actually been in danger, they would have had the *protection* of the law and courts. No one carted them off and executed them, like many governments would have done.

Free speech and a free market: two of the reasons why I LOVE my country.

Bethany
blessed wife and mama to two!

"And children are always a good thing, devoutly to be wished for and fiercely to be fought for."
-Justin Torres

maestramommy
05-03-2006, 02:49 PM
>The "fallout" was a lot of other people expressing what they
>felt, too (with words or their wallets). What's to feel sorry
>for?

I'm thinking of radio stations that refused to play their music and stores that yanked their CD's. It seemed more of a gut reaction since it was really immediate. I didn't hear anything about unstable people, although there are always plenty of those.