PDA

View Full Version : HELP SPLINTERS!!!!

jayali
05-01-2006, 05:09 PM
My two year old son woke up from his nap complaining about a boo boo on his hand. He has two good size splinters in the fleshy part of his hand between the thumb and index finger - OUCH!! They are completely under the skin and the thought of pricking his little hand with a pin has me totally freaked out - plus there is no way he will sit still to let me do it and my husband is away. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting them out. I think I remember something about soaking the skin in water to make the skin more pliable, but I can totally be making that up. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!!

TIA

crl
05-01-2006, 06:00 PM
Soaking in water should help. (It helped with DS' last spring.) You may be able to get the splinters out with tweezers. I've heard that little splinters will sometimes come out if you put tape over them and pull it up. Doesn't sound like that would work in your case. Sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck!

tiapam
05-01-2006, 09:52 PM
I remembered reading something about a bar of soap so I googled and got this:

http://www.otan.us/webfarm/emailproject/splinter.htm

Good luck!

-Pam

DD - One year old!

caheinz
05-01-2006, 10:38 PM
With the couple DS has had, the best solution thus far has been tweezers and/or sterilized pin, popsicle (not at all a usual treat), and a second person.

The popsicle helps because it might distract DC enough to not cry while you do the deed. If popsicles are common in your house, you might need to find something else to use. A super-special rare treat is best -- and food is good because it's hard to eat and cry at the same time!

With the first one, I tried to get it out without DH's help, and it was impossible. Any chance you can find someone to help? (Ideally another parent, since some crying/yelling is probably inevitable.)

Good luck!

babymama
05-02-2006, 02:50 PM
OMG!! I was coming here to post about the very same thing!!!

My very active toddler will not let me near his hand with the tweezers. He's far too squirmy to try to approach even with a soapy needle - I'm afraid he'll protest (flail about) and accidentally get poked.

So do they eventually come out by themselves?

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, my 2 yr old monster
and new baby girl, Solana, born 12/26/05
I'll figure out how to update my avatar someday!

JTsMom
05-02-2006, 03:05 PM
Maybe you can try to get it out while he's sleeping? I've read you can also do Elmer's glue and let it dry, then peel it off if you have any of it sticking out for future reference.