PDA

View Full Version : christening gifts

coachkath
05-02-2006, 08:18 AM
My daughter's baptism is in a few weeks. We don't know the etiquette for gifts - do we give the Godparents a gift? (We don't remember receiving one when we were godparents). The party is being held at another family member's home, with yet another family member buying the catering - their offer as we are going out of our way to have the christening in their neck of the woods (and we don't attend a church in our town). Do they receive a thank you gift as well?
Any suggestions? Thanks.
Kelly's mom

Toba
05-02-2006, 09:51 AM
I don't know what the etiquette is either, but we bought a really nice flowering tree for my son's godparents (they are married).

They kind of really threw us for a loop on the day of the dedication (baptism) though .... we had the after-party at a really nice restaurant and had planned the menu and the cake ourselves (obviously). Towards the end of the party, I grabbed my wallet to go down and settle the quite large bill (the godparents had already left right before) and was told the bill was taken care of. They refused to tell me by who, or even how much the total bill was, just that it was taken care of and the party didn't want us to get any of the info. Obviously, we had put two and two together, and realized it was my son's godparents (my husband's aunt and uncle) who had paid for the party of about 45 people. I was furious and humbled and grateful all at the same time. :)

~Kimberly Anne~
Noah Nevan, March 12, 2004
*the light of my life*

jhaud
05-02-2006, 01:00 PM
i received a gift (candle and topper) when i was dn's godmother... i gave dd's godparents mugs with candy... nothing big, just a memento. i really don't know the proper etiquette, but i would do a thank you gift to both families involved with the party... some flowers for their homes, or a gift card to a local nursery would be nice.

i hope you'll have a beautiful day!

kijip
05-02-2006, 03:34 PM
I wrote Toby's Godparents a letter each (not married, are married to other people) explaining why I choose them and we took them out to dinner. I did not do a gift other than that because neither is into stuff like that.

We keep it casual but try to thank people from the heart.

OT but on a related note: Toby's godfather sent Toby a t-shirt for his birthday with a dinosaur on it and wrote Toby a letter that included something like this:

"Ok, on a godfather note, any religion that does not acknowledge the exsistence of dinosaurs is not worth your time. Anyone that does not acknowledge the coolness of dinosaurs is not cool enough to hang out with you". He sends this kind of lighthearted card every so often, some with more serious advice, and I am saving them all and the drawings too for Toby to have when he grows older.

I do include them in all family gatherings etc to foster a sense of community for Toby (well, and because they are my friends!)