PDA

View Full Version : car help. not sure if this is the right forum but....

nyc_mom
05-02-2006, 09:18 AM
We finally found a house and are moving to the 'burbs. Will have 2 under 2 in britax marathons, a double stroller (haven't found chosen one yet but i'm leaning towards a jogger or Jane powertwin) and DH is tall 6'3" with long legs. Can you help us find a car that's not a minivavn to suit our needs? We also are on a budget so are not looking into "luxury" cars.

nyc_mom
http://b2.lilypie.com/yVa8m5/.png

http://bd.lilypie.com/HiJNm5/.png

elliput
05-02-2006, 09:27 AM
Have you considered a crossover vehicle? Chrysler Pacifica, Ford Freestyle, Chevy Equinox are examples.

annasmom
05-02-2006, 09:34 AM
We have the Honda Odyssey and the Honda Pilot. The Pilot (or other 3 row SUV) is an option, but I will tell you that you will end up doing a lot of loading, unloading of your stroller.

I use the Odyssey primarily and I can fit the two dc (one in Marathon, one in Decathalon - both the same size), my MBUD and Mac Quest/ or P3 in the trunk space, and an entire grocery shopping trip in the space on the floor of the second seat. And that is not touching the third row. I honestly don't know if my MBUD would fit in the trunk space of the Pilot (without the third row down). For example, if I go grocery shopping and leave the third row up in the Pilot I can only fit a few gallons of milk and 2-3 grocery bags across the back -- it's a narrow space. I am assuming the same could be said of other third row cars. I think you would have to fold down the third row in order to fit a jogging stroller.

We used to have a two row Pathfinder (I don't even know if they make them anymore). The two car seats definitely fit, and I fit a double stroller in the back (A PP Tender Twin, not the MBUD, but probably just as big folded). The downside to this size car is that while you can fit two Britax in the second seat, no one ca sit in between the car seats. In the Pilot you can still fit someone in between the two car seats. This is not always the most important factor, but if someone is really fussy it definitely comes in handy.

I guess it depends on whether you plan on keeping your stroller in your car. I can tell you that I really like the fact that I can keep my MBUD in the car and still do whatever I want. It is not as though I find it so heavy, but I often just forget to take it out before heading to the store.

Good luck with your decision, and congratulations on the new house!

Lynnie
05-02-2006, 10:54 AM
I love my hyundai santa fe. Its been reliable since I got it in Feb 02, and although I want to eventually trade up for a minivan, I have a wizard and a marathon in there, and it fits the strollers fine. I have had to sit squished bewteen the two car seats on a long drive and it was pretty uncomfortable, but I made it.

I feel like a bumper sticker saying this, but our other car is a "nicer" car, an audi A6 quattro, and while the santa fe doesn't perform anything like it, it has been more dependable, and is very cheap. It also got good safety marks. My DH is fine driving it, but he is only 6', though, so I am not sure about a taller guy.

Have fun car shopping !

megs4413
05-02-2006, 01:02 PM
we dont have it yet, but our best friends have the Odyssey. it's amazing. We never would have pictured ourselves in a minivan (we're 22)but it's way too awesome to pass up. We just bought an explorer last july and probably wont' get the odyssey until DC #2 comes along (hopefully next spring, we're TTC) but you should definitely consider it. It has all the bells and whistles for families and drives like an SUV. Good luck making a choice and congrats on the big move!

boogiemom
05-02-2006, 01:45 PM
How exciting for you! Sounds like some big changes for your family. We were looking for something similar because we refused to become minivan owners quite yet. :) Anyway, after quite a bit of research and test-driving, we bought a Toyota Highlander last summer. We LOVE this vehicle. It's just right for us. It does have a 3rd row which we don't use often but does come in handy when we need it. My DH is 6'0" and feels comfortable in it.

It was always interesting taking turns test-driving vehicles so we didn't have to keep installing a car seat into every car. Good Luck!

ctmom
05-02-2006, 02:36 PM
Our friends who are not minivan people tend to get either Suburu or VW wagons. I also have a friend who recently bought a Ford Freestar or Freestyle (I can't remember the exact name) and they really like it. It has "stadium seating" so even people in the third row can see up front. Welcome to the burbs, home of minivans and suvs!!

HTH!

Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03

JTsMom
05-02-2006, 03:13 PM
DH and I both have Camrys and love them. The trunk is huge- the biggest you'll get in a non-mini van I'd say. Back seat has enough room for 2 MA's too, but it would be a tight squeeze if you wanted both and another person. The only thing you'd have to check is the leg room if they are rear facing. My DH is 6'1, and seems happy with the leg room. My Dad has driven it- he's 6'2.5 and had enough room also.

They now have a hybrid model- not sure of the price, but I think you can get a tax deduction with them. The regular one is really reasonable, and it will run at LEAST 15 years, assuming you do routine maitenence. There's definitely a reason it's the #1 car in America.