PDA

View Full Version : Extreme exaustion but nothing showed up on blood test

Aunt to sweet baby boy
05-02-2006, 07:47 PM
I have been VERY tired for the past few weeks. I was working really long hours and 5 days a week and had a 1 hr commute each way to work and i thought that was why. Now my work schedule is decreased greatly but i am still extremely tired. I went to the DR on friday and she said all the tests came back negative, no diabetes, auto immune problems, everything was fine. She said if i am still feeling this way in about 1-2 weeks to give her a call back. Does anyone know what this might be? I have not been very hungry lately and lost 3 lbs without even trying. I literaly have been late to work every day this and last week, my alarm goes off but it does not wake me up or it wakes me up but i am so tired i can not move i need to go back to sleep.

Any ideas? I am so frustrated that i have so little energy, i always feel like my eyes are closing, even if i just woke up.

Thank

Ilana, aka Nana to my sweet nephew Avi

http://lilypie.com/pic/060403/hfNw.jpg[/img]http://b2.lilypie.com/h2bbm7/.png[/img][/url]

tarabenet
05-02-2006, 07:56 PM
There are tons of things that could cause those symptoms, I'm sure. But the two I have experience with are thyroid problems and depression. If your doctor didn't test thryoid, it might be worth asking about. For depression, try www.depressionhurts.com. Ignoring the fact that it is from a drug company, there are some useful assessments there.

Good luck figuring it out and finding useful solutions.

megs4413
05-02-2006, 08:06 PM
could you be pregnant?

mudder17
05-02-2006, 08:12 PM
I was thinking of either pregnancy or thyroid issues. Have you been tested for both?

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_-6_Kaya+is.png
Kaya will be a sister, ~11/14/06!

ilovetivo
05-02-2006, 09:26 PM
I just lost my huge response.

I have thyroid probs, depression and fibromyalgia. I'd check into all of those. W/ thyroid, did they do labs? What were your results? The REAL normal results according to the thyroid experts is .3 to 3.3. Many docs don't realize that b/c the labs haven't changes their ranges yet.

mattiew
05-02-2006, 09:50 PM
I was thinking pregnant too; another thought..mono. At a certain age mono isn't really something doctors think of but my 30 something friend has it! Keep us posted.

Aunt to sweet baby boy
05-02-2006, 11:43 PM
Nope not preg, only a possibiltiy if immaculate conception could occur, or if i could get preg from being near a guy.

She tested my thyroid but it was fine. I am not sure what the results were, i plan on calling her tomorrow and speaking more in depth about the results and if they coud be elevated for me but withen the "normal range"

What is Fibromyalgia? I think i remember it having to do with your period but i am not sure.

I am not depressed. I was very depressed about 2 years ago and i know the symptoms quite well but it is not at all like how i feel right now.

Thanks for the quick responses!

Ilana, aka Nana to my sweet nephew Avi

http://lilypie.com/pic/060403/hfNw.jpg[/img]http://b2.lilypie.com/h2bbm7/.png[/img][/url]

lablover
05-03-2006, 07:43 AM
Call and get your actual thyroid numbers. The lab ranges for normal are too wide and are not reflective of what is really considered normal these days. Do you have any other symptoms like dry skin, memory problems, or feeling cold?

boolady
05-03-2006, 09:02 AM
I will chime in on how important it is to make sure you get your actual thyroid levels, and also to make sure that your doctor had not only a TSH level done, but also a T3 and T4 level done. Some doctors only test the TSH, but it is really the combination of the 3 results that matter. I have finally found an endocrinologist who realizes that for some people, just being in the "normal" range isn't enough-- that you need to be a certain level to feel how you should be feeling. My sister, who lives in a different state, has been dealing with trying to find a new endo because her doctor feels that being at the high end of the normal TSH range is o.k. regardless of her other levels, and she KNOWS she felt better when her TSH was lower. Good luck!

ilovetivo
05-03-2006, 09:36 AM
ITA

I have hypothyroid and hashimoto's disease (the autoimmune component of thyroid disease). W/o all 3 numbers, it's hard to tell what dose you really need, and if you need to take cytomel (t3) in addition to synthroid. Let us know what your numbers are. For me, we keep my tsh at 1.0 or lower. Keep in mind hormones make you need more medication, like when you're on the pill or pg.

Are you on the pill? Taking anything else? So many meds can have tired side effects etc.

Fibromyalgia - here's an email i sent out about National Fibromyalgia Day a couple years ago. This year it's also May 12

May 12, is International Fibromyalgia Awareness Day. For more information or to make a donation to advance FM research go to the AFFTER website at www.AFFTER.org <http://www.affter.org/> . – (Advocates for Fibromyalgia Funding, Treatment, Education and Research)

(The following was taken from www.ivillagehealth.com <http://www.ivillagehealth.com/> with some additions)

An epidemic has hit our country and very few people even know it. Today it is estimated that over 6-8% of our countries' population suffers daily from a chronic pain condition called Fibromyalgia (FM) [pronounced Fy-bro-my-AL-ja]. For years due to lack of information, FM sufferers have been misdiagnosed, told that the pain is "in their heads," offered only limited therapies, denied disability, and have even been misunderstood by their employers, friends and family. The myths must be replaced with the truth. Current research findings demonstrate that previously held suppositions are false and a new awareness must be awakened in our country, so that everyone will be aware of the devastating nature of this illness. Fibromyalgia is a very real disease that defines its sufferer's very existence. Current research proves biochemical abnormalities affecting these individuals. Recent medical abstracts report that Fibromyalgia patients have elevated levels of Substance P hormone (a pain neurotransmitter), abnormal levels of serotonin, lack of blood flow to the Thalamus region of the brain, high blood serum levels of nitric oxide and evidence of abnormal central pain processing. [Research has also documented particular abnormalities that frequently occur in the deep stages of sleep in FM patients, preventing them from achieving restful, restorative sleep.]

Medical evidence now proves that FM is not a psychological condition, suffered by middle-aged white women. Instead, over 10 million people, men, women and children are affected by this disease, which has an impact on our society, only now beginning to be understood. May 12th has been designated as the official day to support FM sufferers. International Fibromyalgia Awareness Day is a vehicle to actively increase public awareness of this illness and encourage NIAMS and NIAID to solicit FM research grant proposals and increase NIH budget allocations for FM research. The etiology of Fibromyalgia is still unknown and a cure is still out of our reach. In 1990, the American College of Rheumatology published the criteria for diagnosing Fibromyalgia. A patient who has had widespread pain for at least three months and has pain in at least 11 of the 18 specifically located tender points, maybe suffering from FM. Pain and [severe] fatigue are the major symptoms, however other symptoms often include: insomnia, joint pain, headaches and migraines, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Restless Legs Syndrome, numbness and tingling, weakness, [problems with cognitive functioning], impaired memory and concentration, nervousness, depression, [dizziness, vision problems, noise sensitivity, or impaired coordination]. The symptoms can vary in severity, but even though they often wax and wane, they tend to last a lifetime.

May 12th was selected as FMS Awareness Day in honor of Florence Nightingale, who contracted a painful and fatiguing illness in her mid-thirties…reminiscent of FM. Her strength and inspiration can lend hope to the millions of people who have to deal with the pain of this illness on a daily basis. Although there have been recent advances in research, much more research is needed in order to find the cause and cure for Fibromyalgia. Awareness outreach and education are crucial to insure a better future for FM patients…
Each Fibromyalgia sufferer needs the support of their family and community in order to survive the daily trials this illness inflicts upon them. The myths about FM need to be eliminated. The medical community needs to be updated about recent findings, so that the proper diagnosis and care can be offered. This disease is affecting more and more people each year. It is the hope of the organizers FM Awareness Day that these initial efforts will someday result in a new future for Fibromyalgia patients.

ilovetivo
05-03-2006, 10:03 AM
Here's a really detailed account of fibro http://fmaware.org/fminfo/brochure.htm

1 of the paragraphs:
Fatigue:
In today's world many people complain of fatigue; however, the fatigue of FM is much more than being tired. It is an all-encompassing exhaustion that interferes with even the simplest daily activities. It feels like every drop of energy has been drained from the body, which at times can leave the patient with a limited ability to function both mentally and physically

lizajane
05-03-2006, 10:54 AM
see an endocrinologist just in case it is a thyroid issue that doesn't register on your regular dr's radar. my friend's OB and endo. say two different things about her thyroid issue. it really does sound like a thyroid problem (fatigue, weight loss...)

nofeea
05-03-2006, 11:20 AM
WAY too soon to diagnose this, but.. Chronic fatigue syndrome??
(do you have any other physical symptoms?)

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

In general, in order to receive a diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome, a patient must satisfy two criteria:

1.Have severe chronic fatigue of six months or longer duration with other known medical conditions excluded by clinical diagnosis, and
2.Concurrently have four or more of the following symptoms: substantial impairment in short-term memory or concentration, sore throat, tender lymph nodes, muscle pain, multi-joint pain without swelling or redness, headaches of a new type, pattern or severity, unrefreshing sleep, and post-exertional malaise lasting more than 24 hours.

cilantromapuche
05-03-2006, 11:42 AM
sinus infection? that is how I feel with a sinus infection and it wouldn't show up in a test.

Christine

mama to A (7/03)

megs4413
05-03-2006, 01:52 PM
this is just what I was going to say....but i'll also add that my problems weren't discovered until my endo did a test for anti-thyroid antibodies. It turned out I was producing too many antibodies and therefore knocking out the "normal" thyroid hormone after it had been produced so that it couldn't do its job. Make sure you have someone do a full panel of thyroid tests....lots of people just do a tsh and don't do the t3 or t4!

you definitely weren't anemic I'm assuming....did they do a complete metabolic panel? This can tell you other deficiencies (sp?). I also have something called pernicious anemia which is B12 deficiency. I struggled with iron deficient anemia for a long time, but I'm assuming they checked both your hemoglobins and your iron levels. Even if your hemoglobins are ok they need to check the iron levels to make sure you have enough stored up. Could you be dehydrated? I find that even the smallest bit of dehydration that wouldn't show to a doctor, makes me sluggish. I'm kind of grasping at straws, but if you don't feel right, something is not right! Trust your gut and keep asking questions. Good luck. I hope you feel better soon.

AngelaS
05-03-2006, 03:01 PM
Mono was going to be my guess too. Are you glands swollen? Do you have a low grade fever?

mommyoftwo
05-03-2006, 04:39 PM
I was wondering about Chronic Fatigue Syndrome as well. In addition to the symptoms listed above by the pp, there are many other symptoms and side effects. I am quite familiar with this disease because it is something that I suffer from and it can be devestatingly debilitating. It most often starts off with flu like symptoms. Have you had anything recently that you thought was a cold or the flu prior to the fatigue you are experiencing? Chronic fatigue syndrome is a diagnosis of exclusion which means that you must be tested for everything else that could possibly cause these symptoms and have the tests come back negative. Then you must meet the criteria listed above. Although doctors are much more aware of this disease in recent years than they once were, it is still underdiagnosed and misunderstood. Please email or PM me if you have questions and this seems like it might be you. It could of course be something completely different and thyroid is the most common cause of these symptoms but I would be happy to answer any questions should you have them.