PDA

View Full Version : Postpartum depression, Antidepressants and breastfeeding?

daisymommy
05-03-2006, 10:18 AM
Well, I guess I will just be honest and admit that I have a history of depression, and was hit hard with it postpartum after having Joshua. Now I feel it rearing it's ugly head again after having Hannah. UGH. I so hoped that I could escape it's grip this time. But alas, there is no point in denial.

Last time I took Prozac because I wasn't nursing. This time my midwive prescribed Zoloft for me, saying it was the most well researched drug to take when you are nursing, but that it can cause your baby to become lethargic, listless, and not want to wake up and nurse. Great. So a double whammy. I wanted so badly to be able to breastfeed successfully this time around. I am scared to take the med's, but too scared not to eiter, knowing how debilitating the PPD was last time.

Has anyone here taken Zoloft--or some other antidepressant while breastfeeding, and had a good outcome, both for you and your baby? Please share your experience...and encouragement :)

ribbit1019
05-03-2006, 10:34 AM
Yes, I was on Zoloft when I was nursing. DD was 8 months to 13 months. Since she was older I think she tolerated it pretty well. It made me feel A LOT better and she had a better mommy because of it. I found out I was pregnant with DS when DD was about 13 months and I stopped taking it right away. She weaned very shortly thereafter.
I really think the benefits outweigh the risks in this case.

Big Hugs Amy!!

Christy
My Waterbabies
Maddy born 6/9/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
&
Jarred born 3/8/06, 11 lb 14.5 oz 24" @ 6 wks, a happily breastfed babe.
http://b1.lilypie.com/KH1pm5/.png
Co-Owner Ribbit Baby

ilovetivo
05-03-2006, 10:34 AM
Wellbutrin was good for us. Go to http://neonatal.ama.ttuhsc.edu/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi?pg=topics&access=guest to read up on the latest info

BeachBaby
05-03-2006, 10:40 AM
I don't know if I'm a good reference for you but I am taking Zoloft and breast-feeding. However, my daughter is almost 22 months and I didn't start taking it a month or so ago, and I don't know what the differences are between a newborn and a toddler. I was told the same thing you were, though, about Zoloft being the best choice for BFing moms. I did look it up on Dr. Hale's site and it seems like it is safe.

Sorry I wasn't more helpful. Take good care of yourself.

lizajane
05-03-2006, 10:52 AM
i have been on zoloft for a year. (for OCD) i am still nursing. it hasn't affected dylan AT ALL.

try it out. it may just change your life!!!!!!!!!

big hugs to you. i am SO sorry you are having a hard time.

jhrabosk
05-03-2006, 12:21 PM
I'm sorry...I don't have experience to share as I wasn't able to breastfeed. But, I do have experience with depression and deciding to go on meds, so I wanted to offer you big HUGS and support. It's a really tough choice to make. I hate being on medication.

You've taken such an important first step by acknowledging it and looking into your options! Hang in there mama!

g-mama
05-03-2006, 01:02 PM
Amy,

I am breastfeeding and on Zoloft. I began taking it during my pregnancy, at about 5 months pregnant. I was so anxious and unmotivated, had no patience and broke into tears over every little thing. I started to feel like I was being a horrible mother to my two boys and that the anxiety I was experiencing had to be affecting the baby inside of me.

My OB told me what yours did, that it was the safest to take while pregnant and breastfeeding, and though I was a bit hesitant, I am so glad I did. I feel so much better and know I would not be able to handle three children otherwise. Marco seems completely unaffected by the medication, but in all honesty, I guess who's to really know? He is a wonderfully peaceful and happy baby, and my dh teases that it's because he's on Zoloft, too. I don't worry about it but I think that he does. He was never lethargic or listless and it did not affect his ability to nurse in his early days at all.

I'd encourage you to take care of yourself first, as I know how hard it is to be a good mama when you feel like you're drowning. Good luck and let us know how you're doing.

~Kristen

Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03
Marco 12-05

Drag0nflygirl
05-03-2006, 02:54 PM
Zoloft and Wellbutrin here. I took both throughout my pregnancy after much thought and research. I'm sooooo glad I did. DD is anything but lethargic or listless. She's the happiest, most people-friendly baby I know.
Better living through chemicals!!!!
HTH
Nancy

Cara Flynn 10-25-05

Tondi G
05-03-2006, 04:35 PM
I am on Lexapro for PPD/anxiety ... had a really terrible bout right after #2 was born. I had to take antianxiety meds and stop BFing... pumped and dumped but when I attempted to go back to BFing when the lexapro was kicking in DS only wanted the bottle! I was initially prescribed Zoloft. My SIL was prescribed Celexa for her PPD and took it while BFing #1.... her daughter was 5 months old at the time. With #2 she started taking celexa during her last month of pregnancy and continued through her daughters first year.... she had no trouble with BFing and her DD wasn't affected at all!

Good Luck and HUGS! Good for you for recognizing the signs early and taking advantage of the help that is there!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

mommyoftwo
05-03-2006, 04:50 PM
Please, please take the meds if you need them. I had some trouble with ppd after Amelia, but with Linnea I started struggling before she was even born and went on Wellbutrin. After she was born I was miserable before I even left the hospital. All I could do is cry and feel overwhelmed with anxiety and sadness. The wellbutrin didn't do a thing for me. I have since been on Paxil, Prozac, Zoloft, and now Lexapro for the last two months. I feel like me again and it's a wonderful thing. It just took that long to find a medicine that worked well for me. I am still exclusively breastfeeding Linnea and she is showing now ill effects from the medicine. It is so much more important that you get the help you need than worry about the rare effects on your daughter. The most common problem for infants lethargy but it is very rare and would be reversed very quickly upon stopping the medication. I have dealt with depression and anxiety to some degree for much of my life and I am an example of what a difference proper treatment makes. Please feel free to PM or email me if you want more details or information. I can give you info both as someone who has BTDT and as someone with medical training.

saschalicks
05-03-2006, 04:58 PM
I want you to know that you are so so so not alone. I have a history of depression and after Eli (#2) the PPD hit me HARD! With Jonah upping my dosage of prozac was all I needed, but this one was different. They put me on Symbyax, but I was not BF. I'm writing this even though we have different circumstances (in that I didn't BF) to let you know that you are not alone.

PPD is so hard to deal with while having a newborn I know. Rely on your family for help, that's what they are there for. I was lucky to have the best husband to support me and my parents to help out.

If you want to talk 1 on 1 please feel free to PM me. Remember you are doing a good job and you are a great great great mommy!

noodle
05-03-2006, 07:29 PM
I didn't know I had ppd the first time around. I thought that's what motherhood was. Then I found a wonderful doctor when my first dc was about 2 (and weaned), who looked at me and shook his head, and then set about educating me about depression (to which I am prone, anyway, but PPD was a whole new beast).

I was a wreck.

After finally getting a handle on my depression with celexa, and then a lexapro/buspar combo and with therapy, we were finally ready and able (well, that part took some help :)) to conceive dc #2. I went off the meds for the pregnancy. (I am FINE when I'm pregnant; it gives me a good basis against which to judge my mental health.)

I was very anxious about taking any meds while nursing, even though my doctor (who still teaches psychopharmacology at a major university AND is pretty conservative with medications in general) was very clear with me that the risks to me and my entire family (especially my children) of not treating my depression far outweighed the risks to the baby of my taking Zoloft. About three weeks postpartum with dd, I found myself in the doctor's office, asking for reassurances about Zoloft and an rx. I AM SO GLAD I ASKED FOR HELP AND STARTED TAKING THE MEDS. DD is now 16 months and still nursing. She has had no adverse effects and I know deep in my heart I'm a better mother for treating my depression. My doc and dd's ped kept an eye on her for a few weeks as I started Zoloft (as did I!), but there were no discernible changes. She is a joyful, funny, affectionate child.

I'm about to have my dose adjusted (increased), and I find I'm looking forward to feeling better and enjoying my children more and feeling like a better mom. I wish I had known to get help after my first baby was born; I feel like my depression hurt both of us.

I hope whatever you choose works well for you. Good mothers (parents) are concerned about what's best for their children and about what is best for themselves as well. I wish you peace and relief from depression.

Jennifer

newmomto3kids
05-03-2006, 08:02 PM
I took Zoloft while nursing with two of my kids. I never noticed any side effects with my DC's. But the change in me was so awesome. I feel like I was a much better mom because of it.
Best of luck to you!!!

emily_gracesmama
05-03-2006, 08:22 PM
I too have a long history of depression and have used prozac in the past, tried to go off meds while pregnant and crashed HARD at 20 weeks, back on prozac until 36 wks and then on to zoloft and breastfed my girl for 8 months. I never saw her have any problems that I could connect to the zoloft. She is actually an exceptionally happy baby, who knows if that is related to my meds. One thing I read is that it is strongest for about 2 hours after you take it so I did make an effort to nurse before I took it so I had a little time for it to level off in my system. I like zoloft better than prozac, personally, don't have the nasty decline in my um desire for my husband and ability to get to that next level when we are together, if you catch my drift (blushing :)! I am not a huge fan of meds but I am such a better mommy with than I would be without! Good luck to you!

drsweetie
05-04-2006, 07:15 AM
I took Zoloft while breastfeeding and didn't notice any effects on DD. She was always a hungry hungry hippo and full of energy. I think I took it for about 6 months, maybe a little more. It helped the depression okay -- not as much as Prozac did back when I was taking that, but I was better than I would have been without it.

I know how lousy it feels to have PPD and to be worried about medication too. Hang in there!

Ellen

daisymommy
05-04-2006, 07:39 AM
Thank you all so, so very uch for sharing your stories with me, and for all your encouragement. I am off to the drugstore now to get my prescription filled. Here's to happier days in the future :)