PDA

View Full Version : Okay to ask for donation or no gifts for 1st b-day?

sidmand
05-03-2006, 12:07 PM
I know people really like to buy kid's toys/clothes, but...

DS really has way too many toys already (mostly my fault--I really really need to stop looking at the bargain forum! I even already have a trike and store for him since they were such good deals!).

He also has enough clothes thanks to many borrowed thing and gifts already (and of course, me too). As DH says, how many babies do I think we have?

DH wants to ask for money to put in his 529 account. I don't think it's right to do that, but I don't want a lot more stuff. Would it be better to a) ask for books only, b) have people bring kid gifts that we say will be donated to a local shelter, c) just ask for no gifts, d) other?

Thanks for any help.

Sorry for any typos--typing with kiddo onboard.

Debbie

Mom to Sawyer!
http://lilypie.com/baby1/060607/0/3/1/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

nov04
05-03-2006, 12:18 PM
We put on our invites "best wishes only please" and thought it worked very well. I think some ppl are going more towards asking for specific gifts, but it still goes against most of what I've read.

maestramommy
05-03-2006, 12:31 PM
Hey good for you! I'm still undecided as to whether to have a 1st b-day party, but if we do I will definitely specify no gifts. DD doesn't have a ton of stuff but we have very little space.

jhrabosk
05-03-2006, 12:34 PM
Curious what the "experts" say, I found this:

http://lifestyle.msn.com/Relationships/Article.aspx?cp-documentid=242105

My personal feeling is that it's ok to steer someone toward a particular gift (such as books), if they ask. You might be able to mention the 529 to VERY close family.

nfowife
05-03-2006, 01:35 PM
Not sure what type of party you are having (i.e. mostly family or mostly friends w/kids, etc.). But a good idea I've heard of is to do a book exchange. Each kid brings a book to the party, and in turn they get a book to take home. That way you only end up with one book (the one you provide for the exchange- you might want to have some extras on hand in case someone forgets) and all the kiddos take one home, so there are no presents. Just another idea!