PDA

View Full Version : YIKES!!!

buddyleebaby
05-03-2006, 12:19 PM
I am having a bad mommy moment.
DD and I usually play in the living room (aka the toy room). When I have to go to the bathroom, I will either put her in her jumperoo (which is in the living room) or bring her to the bedroom and put her in her crib.
So today for whatever reason, I put her in her walker. (She has not actually used her walker in a couple of months but I still have it in the living room because it has a tray that is just her height that I put cheerios on in the morning and during the day she will walk over and snack on them at her leisure. ) We have no stairs in our house, and a baby gate across the kitchen so I figure what's the harm, right?
I come out of the bathroom two minutes later and she is STANDING on the seat of the walker, grinning from ear to ear. I gasp and run to grab her before she falls and cracks her head, which makes her laugh. She then walks away to chase a cat, completely oblivious to the fact that she gave me the scare of my life.
I am so mad at myself for putting her in there! Time for that piece of baby equipment to go in storage!

EllasMum
05-03-2006, 12:24 PM
You're a great mommy. :)

Sometimes we need these things to happen to tell us to put away the old/too small stuff! I am dreading having to babyproof my place - I'm sure I just won't see a potential 'hazard' until DD discovers it!

Glad to hear your DD is fine! :)

maestramommy
05-03-2006, 12:34 PM
Don't worry about being a bad mommy, which you're not! I keep hearing that we often don't know when something is no longer safe until something either happens or almost happens. I used to put DD on her changing pad while I used the bathroom. We could see each other through the open door, and she was pretty happy. But now she is looking over the side and starting to turn around on it, so I have to put her on the floor. Dont' know what I'll do when she starts crawling. Probably put her in the playpen!

jhaud
05-03-2006, 12:41 PM
i've had my share of scares... my little monkey is a climber. fwiw, i used to bring dd into bathroom with me(dh says that can be cruel... but he is rarely home alone with her when he has to go!), our tub toys are in a bin on floor in there. once she was mobile, and the areas she could get to were babyproofed, i would leave the door open. now at 21 mo i just let her know where i'm going... kitchen is gated off, so she only has access to living room, her room, our room, and hall