PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about swimming lessons...

CharmedOne
05-03-2006, 04:20 PM
Now that it's getting close to summer (not that you can tell from the "June gloom" we've been having in LA lately), I've been thinking about swimming lessons for my 11 month old DS. Are there any parent and baby swimming programs out there that you recommend?

I don't personally know of anyone whose DC started swimming before the age of 2. My priority is getting DS comfortable in the water. My parents were super protective and prohibited me and my siblings from taking swimming lessons as children from fear of drowning. Ironically I had a couple of near-drowning scares growing up. I've been wary of water deeper than 6 feet ever since then. I took some swim classes in college, but I'm a VERY poor and panicky swimmer. I can only swim on my back. I think we just have more fear adults. I definitely don't want DS to be afraid of the water!

Caroline

Precious Little Nathan
http://lilypie.com/baby1/060601/2/12/1/-8/.png[/img][/url]

bubbaray
05-03-2006, 04:22 PM
We started DD in swimming lessons at 5m (she's 2 now) at our local YMCA. I highly recommend that program!

HTH
Melissa

Maya Papaya!
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040411/3/4/1/-8/.png[/img][/url]

Tondi G
05-03-2006, 04:24 PM
We live in LA too and a lot of people have recommended the Hollywood YMCA for swimming lessons!!!! My neighbors and I are all planning on getting into a swim class with our little ones!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

CharmedOne
05-03-2006, 04:43 PM
Cool...I heard great things about the YMCA as well. Hollywood is a little too far for us. We're closer to Santa Monica. (You know how LA traffic is!) Is the Hollywood location better than the other LA area ones?

Caroline

Precious Little Nathan
http://lilypie.com/baby1/060601/2/12/1/-8/.png[/img][/url]

brittone2
05-03-2006, 06:34 PM
I guess we're kind of doing it ourselves. DS is a few months over 2 and he's loving the pool. I am not a huge swimmer but I did do some aquatic physical therapy work with kids and that has given me some ideas of things to do with him.

For the most part I feel like we're covering a lot of what is taught in swimming lessons for now anyway. Logan holds onto a kickboard and kicks with his feet really well. He's starting to dip his face in the water a bit to try to blow bubbles. We work on jumping off the edge with us holding onto him. He tilts his head backwards into the water on his own (I would think this is kind of prepping for back floating). He isn't keen on being on his back in the water but I think most kids don't like that until they feel more confident. We talk about holding hands when walking near the pool, not running ever, etc.

He is a somewhat tentative kid sometimes, but he's really into the pool and seems to be catching on better than I imagined he would on his own.

I hope you and your DS have a lot of fun with it!!

maestramommy
05-03-2006, 06:55 PM
Several moms in my group are taking an infant swim class. It's at the Australian Swim school, which I THINK is part of a Bally's. This is in Palos Verdes. They do dunk the babies, and do kickboard activities, but it's in waist deep water (for the parents) and the pool is quite heated and indoors. The main point of this class is to get babies used to being in the water, and used to holding their breath under water. 6 months is supposed to be the perfect time to start swim lessons because they haven't yet lost the reflex for holding their breath under water. I'm not in the class, but I took DD swimming last month. We went under together, and she did hold her breath. Sputtered and blew out a bit aftewards, but didn't seem bothered otherwise. The class also teaches them that the side of the pool is the safe place to grab.

So far it seems all the babies are having fun. It took about 3 classes, but they're totally into it, and kick and splash around. It sounds like fun, but I was already in a music class and didn't want to pile up DD's schedule with the other things we do during the week.

niccig
05-03-2006, 09:48 PM
We go to the YMCA in La Canada, so too far for you. I would check out the Y close to you, their swimming classes seem to be reasonably priced when compared to private schools. DS has been going since 6 months. He will now go underwater between me and the teacher and he loves to stand on the side of the pool and jump in. I would try to find a program that is year round, we had a 3 month break (vacation, sick etc) and it took DS 3 weeks before he was comfortable again - he went from jumping into the pool to being superglued to my hip for the entire lesson. My mother and sister are swimming instructors, and like so many other things, they said consistency is what works. So, I'm going to try and avoid long breaks between classes. Swimming and his Saturday class with DH are the two things we've committed to doing with him.

I hope you find a class you enjoy, it's the perfect age to introduce him to the water.

Nicci

Java
05-03-2006, 10:52 PM
I heard on the news they were calling it the "May Haze" since it wasn't June yet. Where do they come up with these names??

Anyway, I'm not in LA but I figure I'm close enough (OC area). I started Kael when he was 6 months and he loved it. Stopped at 9 months for Gymboree and started again at... I don't know... 20 months or so. He screamed bloody murder for 4 lessons (Mom and Me) then something clicked and he loved it. He started screaming when the lessons ended and wouldn't get out of the pool. We took another break for about 5 months and started him up recently - 3 weeks ago in private lessons. He's gotten to the age where he would benefit from getting direction from another person as opposed to having splashing fun with mom. He loved it! First lesson was a little wobbly - who's this stranger and why is she touching me - but at the 2nd lesson he was jumping off the platform and kicking towards the other platform. Too bad the lessons are only 15 minutes long.

Anyway, I think swim lessons are great for kids with the right instructor. All the instructors we've had are certified to teach babies (not just older kids and adults). They check to see how water has been swallowed, know how far to push and when to ease back, when to take a break due to excessive swallowing, etc. The 2 swim companies that I've been really happy with are the Australian Swim School and Swim Safe.

Good luck!

rlu
05-03-2006, 11:24 PM
We took DS for a 4-day session at our local recreation center. DS was around 16 months and loved his bath time so we figured swimming would be fun (and we both want him to swim early as we enjoy going to the beach).

DS did NOT like the salty water the recreation center used. He refused to put his face in the water and pretty much screamed once we got the to pool on days 3 & 4. This did not carry over to a fear of the bath or our little wading pool though. This year I called to ask if the other pool the recreation center uses also has salt water (it is at a local high school) and the director told me that they don't have salt water but that they do create their own chlorine according to county standards(??!) I told him I tasted that water and it is really salty and thanked him for the information.

We plan to put DS in swim lessons again, but will try to take Red Cross lessons at the local public pool which I know isn't salty.

Sorry this turned out so long...

Rebecca

DS 03/29/04
Go Sharks!

dhano923
05-03-2006, 11:51 PM
I did Mommy and Me swim classes with DS when he was 13 months old. He loved it, although the water was a bit cold for him. We did it at our local YMCA, but the class was for members only. Not sure if it depends on each individual YMCA or not though.