PDA

View Full Version : personalized baptism gift, help with message!

nfowife
05-03-2006, 09:08 PM
We were just asked to be godparents for some dear friends (don't have any real responsibilities, more of a symbolic thing, as we are Jewish and they are Christian, but we are honored nontheless!) who just had their 2nd little boy. Anyhow, I was already planning to get them this cross as a gift- do you think it's a good choice?
http://bluekey.ebluekey.com/files/31_cross_main.jpg

I can personalize the colors and also the message. Which leads to my question: What should I put on the message?

choice 1: as it is in the picture, with the christening date. Is this correct? I wasn't sure if I should put the christening date or his birth date on it.

choice 2: "Aiden Charles, christened on, date" Just didn't know if this was better since then it is clear that the date is the christening date and not the birth date.

I just am not sure that the 1st choice is clear that it is the christening date, kwim? I think that in a few years, someone seeing it on the wall in his room would think it was his birthday. But then again, I don't have much experience with this type of thing so I'm probably wrong! Help!

nfowife
05-03-2006, 09:08 PM
We were just asked to be godparents for some dear friends (don't have any real responsibilities, more of a symbolic thing, as we are Jewish and they are Christian, but we are honored nontheless!) who just had their 2nd little boy. Anyhow, I was already planning to get them this cross as a gift- do you think it's a good choice?
http://bluekey.ebluekey.com/files/31_cross_main.jpg

I can personalize the colors and also the message. Which leads to my question: What should I put on the message?

choice 1: as it is in the picture, with the christening date. Is this correct? I wasn't sure if I should put the christening date or his birth date on it.

choice 2: "Aiden Charles, christened on, date" Just didn't know if this was better since then it is clear that the date is the christening date and not the birth date.

I just am not sure that the 1st choice is clear that it is the christening date, kwim? I think that in a few years, someone seeing it on the wall in his room would think it was his birthday. But then again, I don't have much experience with this type of thing so I'm probably wrong! Help!

pampamz
05-03-2006, 09:31 PM
I think it is very sweet and a more personal idea than the multitude of generic gifts (read: crosses on chains, Precious Moments bibles, piggy banks etc.) that they will undoubtedly receive.
You could also put something like:
Jesus Love You, name, date??
or
My Christening, name, Christening date

I agree it is a tricky thing, with the date, unless you went with the "My Christening" idea.
Cute gift!

newmomto3kids
05-03-2006, 09:38 PM
That is so cute. I like the saying as is, but I guess my feelings could be swayed by how religious the parents are. If they are pretty religious, I would stick with the baptism date. If not, I think I might put just his name and his birthdate. Not sure why this matters to me, but that is what I would do.
Yeah, totally not sure why that matters at all...
Love the cross though, will you tell us where you found it?

nfowife
05-04-2006, 09:03 AM
I found it at polkadotsonline.com , which I found by doing a search here on christening gifts!

Anyone else have any insight?

NatalieM
05-04-2006, 10:03 AM
I like choice #2. That's just my preference b/c of what you stated about confusing the birthdate with the christening date. Also, it's nice to have something like that with the date on it to remind the parents as well. I know in the past when I've asked my mom questions about when I did this or that, she couldn't remember too many dates without looking at albums, etc. I guess with 3 children that happens. Since a christening is an important event, I like the idea of having his name with the christened on date. HTH