PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have some magic to spare?

KrisM
05-03-2006, 09:52 PM
I never thought I'd have a 2 year old who is such a terrible sleeper, but I do. He screams for me and if I'm out, Daddy just doesn't do for him. He sleeps on the floor in our bedroom and then moves into my bed at some time. He snuggles with me and only me. He wakes 2-3 times/night still.

Okay, I can handle most of that, and so can DH when I'm not here. But, how in the world will my mom be able to get him to sleep when I'm in labor?? Will she have to wait until he collapses from exhaustion? Is there anything I can do quickly to make this a better situation?

Help!

megs4413
05-03-2006, 11:37 PM
could you maybe explain things to him in simple terms and take him to get a comfort object to sleep with him? If you do it now and do it every night maybe it will help him when he's with grandma? I know it's a long shot but with such little time left, any help is good. i'm thinking something like this...

"DS (fill in name) Mommy and Daddy are going to go on a trip to get our new baby soon (fill in name instead of our new baby) and bring him/her home to live with us. While we go on our trip you are going to have a special visit with Grandma and have lots of fun. Our new baby (name here) wants to give you a gift to help you feel happy while you wait for him/her to come home. This gift will be your very special cuddle buddy that you hold tight every night. It will cuddle with you and keep you safe and happy while you wait for us to get home with your baby brother/sister. Grandma knows all about your cuddle buddy and will have everything ready for the two of you to have a slumber party!" and you let him pick out a new buddy to snuggle from a store of his choosing or yours

I know it's cheesy, but if you try to make it a very special, magical experience and all about him having fun, you might be able to sneak it past him. I know trickery works wonders. If you make the visit with Grandma (I'm assuming he's going there, but maybe she's staying at your house?) seem like it's a special waiting party for him and his cuddle buddy he might be distracted enough to sleep for a few hours at least. Honestly it's probably goign to be a rough time for Grandma and DS, but you know they'll get through it. A comfort object helped DD with her transition from cosleeping to sleeping on her own. We took her to build a bear and remarkably she understood what was going on and enjoyed it very much even though she wasn't quite 1. We made a big deal about her bear and nurtured her relationship with him. We named him and called him by name (baba--her favorite thing which we are also trying to transition from) and gave him to her whenever she was sad. We always laid her down with him. And even if I have to take her in with me, we bring Baba. Maybe it worked because she's so young and she's easy to fool, but HEY it's worth a shot!

Sorry for such a long post! We're TTC and I'm thinking for myself about confronting this very same scenario when I go to deliver #2 (hopefully when DD is about 2). It's so nice to hear a mommy talk about snuggling close to her child at night and not be asking how to make it stop! I wish we still coslept but it was killing our...ahem......bedtime.....relationship, KWIM? Congratulations on the upcoming delivery. Good luck!

ribbit1019
05-03-2006, 11:43 PM
We lucked out and DD was asleep when labor really kicked into gear. She sleeps in her own room though. No magic tricks over here, I'm sorry!!

Hugs and I like PP suggestion. We got Maddy a doll and she was very excited to have her own baby, but does not sleep with it.

Christy
My Waterbabies
Maddy born 6/9/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
& Jarred born 3/8/06, 11 lb 14.5 oz 24" @ 6 wks, a happily breastfed babe.
http://b1.lilypie.com/KH1pm5/.png
Co-Owner Ribbit Baby http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22

Wife_and_mommy
05-04-2006, 12:17 AM
nak

does he have a lovey of any kind? dd stayed with a friend of mine(has 3 kids) and i packed her lovey and a couple of other from-home items. she slept in a playpen at their house and did great. my DF actually kep her for 2 nights(we used a bc so were home the next morning)and she got a little wimpery the second night but was okay with some cuddles from the DF. all in all it worked out beautifully and dh was even a little upset that she didn't miss us terribly(LOL).

At any rate, you need to find a way to feel comfy with the situation and how your mom will handle it so that it doesn't hinder your labor, okay? :)

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

KrisM
05-04-2006, 06:53 AM
>
>"DS (fill in name) Mommy and Daddy are going to go on a trip
>to get our new baby soon (fill in name instead of our new
>baby)

Ha! If only we had names picked out :). We have a girl, but no boy yet.

Seriously, I like your idea and will try it. We've been talking about the baby, of course, but I will add this to it. He does have a comfort object - a blanket tag. But, it doesn't seem to work much magic.

Thanks for the idea.

kransden
05-04-2006, 09:35 AM
You might be suprised at how adaptable he really is. I have class every Wed. and DD was just the same as your DS. The baby sitter had to put her to bed. After a lot of prepping as to what was going to happen (mommy's coming home after you're asleep etc.) There was a small fit and that was that. So maybe you might be lucky! They act so different when you're around kwim?

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

lizamann
05-04-2006, 09:42 AM
I'm guessing that it will work out. My dd is the same way with needing me to fall asleep normally, but she is able to sleep over at grandma's house and fall asleep. She does stay up VERY late there, but she does eventually fall asleep without any angst on her part. My mom says she does just fine and doesn't even call for me, which is the complete opposite of what happens at home.

Even if he does stay up to all hours and collapse, hey, it's not the end of the world. He'll be fine. You'll have other things to think about and your mom can handle it. Aren't mom's wonderful that way?

cbm
05-04-2006, 01:23 PM
I don't really know how to improve your situation because I am in the same one myself (minus the being pregnant part :-).)
Based on what you said, all I could think about is would it be possible to do a trial run with your mom? You and DH could go out for about an hour or so and see how it works. It may go better than expected and it will put your mind at ease.
If the above experiment is not possible, then trust your mom. She is probably going to come up with a way to make him feel comfortable. Perhaps explain the situation to him a few times, your mom can then explain it again the same way when you go into labor. I think if he hears the explanation several times, and then grandmother gives it as well, things may go better.

Claudia
DS 12/18/04