PDA

View Full Version : ISO: Fragrance Free Sunscreen for DD

randomkid
05-04-2006, 06:43 AM
Any recommendations for DD that I can use on her face? I have Baby Blanket, but she cries when I put it on her. I think it's the smell as I usually use unscented products on her. I know California Baby makes one, but is it PABA free?

TIA,

kimbe
05-04-2006, 06:54 AM
We use Earth's Best (JASON) Sunblock for DD (and now DH and I.) It is fragrance free and says extra mild formula on the bottle. It doesn't smell like anything. HTH!

BeachBum
05-04-2006, 12:49 PM
I have the California Babies sunscreen (with fragrance) and it is Paba free.

mamatomax
05-04-2006, 12:56 PM
We love the Aveeno Baby sunblock. It is fragrance-free, and also PABA-free.
Jill
Mama to Baby Max

http://b1.lilypie.com/VnnVm5/.png
http://www.snugglepie.com/ezb/265055.png

Corie
05-04-2006, 01:34 PM
Kim,

I'm so glad that you asked this question! I cannot stand
the smell of kids sunscreen. It makes me get a headache
and then get nauseous!

I'm going to try and find these suggestions!!

Oregonmother
05-04-2006, 03:45 PM
The Baby Blanket sunscreen we have is unscented. It's the lotion.

Tondi G
05-04-2006, 04:56 PM
Someone I know whos dad is a dermatologist sent her this!

The Sunscreens your Dermatologist Uses: Spring 2006

The best sunscreens protect against all UVB (Burning) rays and
UVA (Aging, cAncer, tAnning) rays.

Take Home Lessons:
SPF ratings are misleading. SPF measures the ability to screen only UVB
(burning) rays. It gives NO information about UVA protection.
Think Zinc! Zinc Oxide is the best sunscreen ingredient. It screens all rays,
UVA and UVB.

Even though a sunscreen is labeled “UVA/UVB Protection� that
is not entirely accurate because even partial protection allows this label!
You must know your ingredients and read the labels!

The best sunscreen is the one you use everyday!
Remember to apply your sunscreen 15 minutes before exposure. Do it naked, so you don’t miss any areas.

The list below contains our choices for the best sunscreens:

Neutrogena Fresh Cooling Body Mist Sunblock 45
Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Sunblock 55 Brand new with Helioplex, a stabilized form of avobenzone.
The Body Mist is the best spray I have ever tested! It is outstanding. Both go on dry without stickiness or shine.
Coppertone Spectra 3 Series SPF 50
Coppertone Endless Summer Ultrasheer SS STICK
White and a little sticky, but it’s easy to find in most stores.
No Ad 45 Babies Sunblock Lotion
$6.94/16oz BEST VALUE! Avail at Walmart. The pink bottle with aqua letters. Best for body use. Contains zinc oxide.

Fallene Total Block COTZ/Solar Protection 58
The best oil-free, scentless, complete coverage, chemical-free, sting-free, waterproof sunscreen. Great for people with allergies or sensitive skin. Safe for babies. Expensive, so best saved for facial use. Flesh colored - no white residue. Avail at Midlo Derm.
Fallene Total Block/Solar Protection Clear 65 As above, but thinner in consistency and with additional chemical sunscreens, so it may sting if it gets into eyes. Oily skin people prefer this formula. Avail at Midlo Derm.
Procyte Ti-Silc Sheer 45 Our choice for the best facial moisturizing sunscreen. Use this alone or under makeup. Flesh tinted. Avail at Midlo Derm.
Blue Lizard Babies 30+/Sensitive Skin 30+ The most waterproof sunscreen available. White and a little sticky, but it soaks in after 5 min. “Babies� and “Sensitive� are chemical free. The regular line has added chemicals.
Vanicream Sunscreen SPF 15 (Really Higher) Totally chemical free. A good choice for babies. Avail at Midlo Derm.

Oil of Olay Complete Defense 30 Sensitive Skin
Neutrogena Healthy Defense Daily Moisturizer 30
Purpose Redness Reducing Moisturizer SPF 30
Eucerin Extra Protective Moisture Lotion SPF 30 These are daily wear moisturizers with added zinc for sunscreen.
Great for wearing alone or under makeup during the normal work week. They are not effective sunscreens for intense prolonged sun exposure. The Oil of Olay is the lightest formula.
Anthelios and Ombrelle The best sunscreens in the world contain Mexoryl. They are not available in the US. If you need absolutely the best sun protection, buy these from Canadian pharmacies like www.feelbest.com.
Heliocare pills Extract of the fern Polypodium Early studies show that it can decrease severity of sunburns and sun damage. $45-60/ 60 pills. Very fair skinned people may benefit. No prescription needed.
Sunless Tanners
L’Oreal Sublime Bronze Self Tanning Lotion: Natural color, bearable smell, no greasy residue.
Jergens Natural Glow Daily Moisturizer: Color slowly builds so less likely to streak.

St Tropez Auto-Bronzant Lotion $35: The #1 rated sunless tanner. Expensive but lasts 7-14 days.

Another thing you might consider is this powder that my sister bought for me to use on my boys since they hate putting the lotion on! It is called Colorescience. it is SPF 30 and says very water resistant! My sisters friend is a perschool teacher and she used it one day on her face but didn't put anything on her arms.... that night she discovered that her arms were BURNT but her face and all places she used this powder on were fine! It is expensive $45.00 but if you have kids who hate to have lotion put on them(especially their faces) it's great!!! My sister had skin cancer last year and has become super concerned about my boys and the sun!

Hope this helps you!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

randomkid
05-04-2006, 05:11 PM
Thanks so much! I will bookmark this and look through it more thoroughly when I have the time.