PDA

View Full Version : Another X-Post (Baby Proofing) - glider rockers?

EllasMum
05-04-2006, 12:49 PM
Like another poster, I posted this originally on 'Baby Proofing' but got no replies. Hoping someone might have some ideas! Here goes... I have a glider rocker and a footstool that goes with it that also glides. This hasn't been a concern until now (and the future) as DD will likely be crawling very soon. What did you do with glider rockers to keep little fingers from getting pinched? When I bought the chair/footstool at TRU the sales guy tried to sell me on the more expensive (by alot!) chair that had a built-in lock. I went the cheaper route and now wish I had that lock!

Any ideas would be great!

TIA,
Susan

tarabenet
05-04-2006, 01:23 PM
The exact method we used is tricky to explain, but easy to do for someone handy with a drill. My SIL chose a glider she didn't even like. So I recovered the cushions for her and then made a lock. You have to let the chair be at full stop/rest, then you can drill a small hole through two pieces that align when stopped -- one on the base, one attached to the seat part. You want to choose a spot that will be easier to reach from the chair, so you can unlock it when you sit down and then remember you locked it earlier. ;)You attach a small metal rod to a chain (they actually have assemblies like this at some hardware stores), and then attach the chain near the hole. When you insert the rod through both holes, the chair doesn't move. Oviously, you want a very thin, very strong rod, and you make the hole only a little bit larger for easy in/out. A large hole could weaken the structure of the chair and be much more unsafe.

If you look at the cheaper locking gliders, they use a mechanism like this. The higher-end ones have specialty hardware that probably has to go in during construction of the the chair.

newnana
05-04-2006, 02:30 PM
We have our rocker in the corner with a table on one side of it. At night the ottoman is out in front of it to use. During the day, the ottoman gets wedged between the wall and the rocker. Neither of them rock and the added bonus is it blocks the outlets from her prying little fingers. Works great for us.
Michelle

lizajane
05-04-2006, 02:41 PM
i don't think it is really much of an issue. we have the dutalier that locks (the chair and the ottoman lock) but we don't always lock them when the kids are playing in the room. we have never had a finger pinch.

ErinMC
05-04-2006, 03:00 PM
To be honest, it was never an issue for us. In fact, until I read your post I never thought that it could be! (Oops!) Luckily DS never really went near the glider rocker, except for nursing (the first year) and reading books (now). We actually have the built-in lock and I can probably count on two hands the number of times I've used it...

Erin

Mom to Chase Feb. 04

http://bd.lilypie.com/EjO1m5/.png

EllasMum
05-04-2006, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I think I will wait and see (once DD is actually crawling) if she shows any interest in approaching the glider, and then if she does I will try to rig something up like the little metal post suggestion. I was surprised to see that this hasn't really been an issue for people - a friend of mine actually said that she puts away her glider when her DC start crawling! Yikes - think I'll leave it where it is for now.

Thanks again!
Susan