PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had a couple's massage? Tell me about it please!

peasprout
05-04-2006, 05:28 PM
DH and I are celebrating our anniversary this weekend. I won an overnight stay at a resort with a spa treatment so we're using it, only thing is I've never had a professional massage. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but do most people take off all their clothes? Are you already lying down when the massuese (sp?) comes in or do you have to disrobe in front of them? Does it make a difference if it's a couple's massage? And how much do you tip them?
Thanks from a massage newbie,
JP

Aunt to sweet baby boy
05-04-2006, 06:45 PM
I have never had a couple's massage but i have had one alone. The massuese brought me to the room and showed me where the blanket was to cover me with. She told me to hang my robe on the hook on the back of the door. She then left the room. I layed down and she knocked before coming back in to make sure i was ok. I wore underwear but i think it is a personal preferance and how comfortable you feel not wearing clothes in front of other people. I tip generally between 10-15% of the price.

HTH a little.

Enjoy!

Ilana, aka Nana to my sweet nephew Avi

http://lilypie.com/pic/060403/hfNw.jpg[/img]http://b2.lilypie.com/h2bbm7/.png[/img][/url]

kdeunc
05-04-2006, 07:15 PM
I have not done a couples massage either but I have had several "solo" massages. It is personal preference on the underwear. I generally do get completely nude but the massage therapists have always been very skilled in keeping the blanket covering all areas that they are not working on at the time. I have never "felt naked" in front of them. Enjoy the massage!!

kelly ann
05-04-2006, 08:39 PM
DH and I have had two couples massages. For us, it was just like having a solo massage, but you are in the same room. Never again will I do this since DH fell asleep last time and started snoring! How was I supposed to relax with him snoring right next to me??? Anyway, I wonder if couples talk to each other during the massage...I am not much of a talker during a massage, but it would probably keep DH from snoring.

bostonsmama
05-04-2006, 09:40 PM
DH and I bought ourselves an hour-long couples massage at the Spa at our resort on our honeymoon (a Sandals resort in Jamaica). It was probably the only good thing that happened there. ;) Anyways, we were actually put into separate rooms with a connecting ceiling...so at times I could hear him groan with delight. We chatted a little in the beginning, but within minutes we were in our own little worlds getting oiled up and rubbed down. In retrospect, I wish we had done the massage on the beach at sunset with a bottle of champage...then we would have been side by side...but oh well. I think the procedure was ~$140-170, and I tipped maybe $10 for both of us. It certainly was not the most earth shattering massage in my life....that was done alone by a woman at a local Massage School practicing to become licensed and it was only $20! I didn't want to leave. Hopefully you'll get a good MT who can tell you a little about your body, musculature, tension zones, and ask you where you want to be relaxed/massaged most and how hard or soft you like it. I hope this isn't TMI, but that MT poked me in the center of my buttock and it sent chills up and down my spine. Apparently it releases some sort of energy. I could also hear her working lactic acid out of my shoulder muscles, where I carry a lot of my tension, so make sure the people know what they're doing. I have a sneaking suspicion the Sandals resort just grabbed some local off the street and gave them crash-courses in how to rub people down.

Anyways...happy anniversary and have fun!

Larissa

My-oh-my, we're doing it in July!

Proud Aunt to Jack Dorian, born to my brother and SIL on 3/06
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32719.jpg

boolady
05-05-2006, 12:24 PM
Your experience was EXACTLY the same as mine. DH was so relaxed that he snored the entire time, and I was so embarassed by his snoring, I never really relaxed.

Tracey
05-05-2006, 03:00 PM
We've had a couples massage once and then we've had massages at the same time , but with different people in different rooms. The couples massage in the same room was distracting. It wasn't terrible or anything, I just wouldn't do it again. The same time appt. but different rooms was better.

You will be given a big bathrobe and some fip flops and sent to a locker room to change. Once you change, the masseuse will come get you and take you to the private room. There's usually a Fung-shui type thing going on with the decor, the lights are low, and there's some low music. The'll leave while you take off your robe and flip flops and cover yourself with at towel. Underwear is up to you...no bra obviously. In a couple of minutes there will be a knock and the masseuse comes back it. Before the massage begins, he or she will usually ask for your preferences. If they don't, butt in and tell them what they are. I like a deeper massage instead of a light massage so I always say that and also---and this is an IMPORTANT one---I say I prefer not to chat during the massage. I HATE THAT. Some of them start asking you all these stupid questions and talking about their relatives or whatever and it's AWEFUL. I want it quiet so I can enjoy the experience. All massages are NOT created equal. I've had some awesome drool inducing massages and some "is this it?" massages. It's sort of potluck who you get unless you have used a particular masseuse before.

One more thing---they will ask you if you want a male or female masseuse. It doesn't make any difference to me, but men usually want a woman. We have gay friends and my husband is a fairly sophisticated guy, but he still did not want a man rubbing on him. I was surpised by this and we were talking to some other friends and this one guy said he didn't think he would have a problem with a male masseuse, so he went to one. He said it was horrible and he couldn't relax. The whole homophobia thing is for real. We women don't have the same touch taboos with each other.

omgrown
05-05-2006, 06:19 PM
OK, I'm a licensed massage therapist, so I obviously have a slightly different perspective, but here's my experience as a client.
DH and I had a couples massage once and we swear we would never do it again. It was super distracting for both of us. Neither one of us could relax and we didn't know if we were supposed to talk to each other so we both just kind of suffered through, which is never how a massage is supposed to go.
It wasn't the LMT's faults it just wasn't our cup of tea. I personally think its kind of a novelty treatment. Doesn't really allow the LMTs to focus on the work, or the client to relax fully.
But again, my perspective is very different. I over analyze everything with a massage. If someone can really get me to relax, they're my best friend!
Anyway, as far as tipping, people don't realize sometimes how much work and energy (and schooling) LMTs do. I live in NYC where tipping rates are higher (20% is standard here), but the cut from the spa's usually reflect that, so when someone tips under the standard, it really affects us. Now of course if the massage isn't up to par, then of course, the tip should reflect that.
Anyway, I'm done with my rant. Sorry if that was more info than you needed, but I wanted to be thorough in my response :-)
Either way, enjoy your vacation and your anniversary!!!!